Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2011, 15:19   #11
tvpcop
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 135+

You want D2S burners if you do buy some new ones
MG ZT CDTI+ 135 Drivers Intel pack, spec: full heated leather, parking sensors, auto dip mirror, traffic master, xenons, harmon kardon system, kenwood mp3, bluetooth, refurbed gridspokes, Decat Longlife Stainless exhaust, 190 brake conversion, Synergy2 + Pierburg, intake mod, FK-452's, Jules gold resistor

To-do, Leon splitter, have drivers seat re-upholstered to repair rip.............the list never ends!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tvpcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 20:07   #12
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.h View Post
Well i was driving to work on Wednesday and bulb failure come on dash, i could see from the car infront (sitting at lights) that is was the n/s xenon.
Well got in the car to go home and both xenon working but then a pulled up behind the car infront i could see the n/s was not so bright and had a tint of blue.

Any ideas?

The 1st pic is o/s and the 2nd pic is the n/s
Attached Thumbnails
Don't know much about these but whenever I've encountered one side bright and the other less bright it's usually down to a loose or poor earth on the dim side.
ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 11:05   #13
Simon.h
This is my second home

Previously owned- MG ZT V6 160 Y plate Lpg, MG ZT 190 2003 In Rare Celestial Factory Ordered Lpg MG

Well been looking at the Rave cd and the earth point for the n/s headlamp in connected to the battery, will check this but cant see it being the problem!
MG ZT 190 2004 lpg
Simon.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 13:47   #14
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

If you have very low resistance to earth (good) then the other thing is to check the power side contacts.
Any corroding/soiling, (ie) poor contact, would cause resistance and it doesn't take much to degrade a 12v system especially HP Xenons.

They're both working so it's not connectivity - have you tried swopping bulbs to see if fault follows?

ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 13:55   #15
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.h View Post
Well i was driving to work on Wednesday and bulb failure come on dash, i could see from the car infront (sitting at lights) that is was the n/s xenon.
Well got in the car to go home and both xenon working but then a pulled up behind the car infront i could see the n/s was not so bright and had a tint of blue.

Any ideas?

The 1st pic is o/s and the 2nd pic is the n/s
Attached Thumbnails

Xenon lamps are discharge lamps, meaning they don't have a filament but rely on high voltage to strike an arc between two electrodes within the lamp. If the lamps strike, then the ignitors which generate the initial hv pulse are probably OK. Once struck, the ignitors then drop out of circuit.

Xenon lamps age, and as they do, the internal gas pressure increases. This makes them more difficult to strike, and also means the luminous efficiency of the lamp drops off. It may simply be that you have an older bulb near end-of-life in the one headlight, or that the lamp is 'leaking' which often leads to a bluish tinge to the output.

I would try replacing the lamp first - after ensuring that all the connections are clean and tight.

Hope this helps.