Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th April 2024, 15:55   #1
DJO
Avid contributor

Vauxhall Zafira

Default Scammers everywhere

I think it's fair to say that some places are worth avoiding when searching for a car.

Facebook marketplace seems particularly dodgy. Seen several scammers operating, one allegedly selling a ZT in my own town. The MOT check on it showed it was a real basket case. IThe advert got changed to remove number plates and a lot of fiction added to the text.

I've seen a couple where they've stolen other folks pictures and cropped the pictures, trying to pass it off as their own.

Today I spotted a couple of people trying to sell the same car, BMW 3 series estate. Same pics, no attempt to hide reg. One claimed to be on the south coast selling a petrol hybrid, the other in Essex selling a petrol. Reg number is a diesel!!!

Still just biding my time for the right ZT to appear. 🤪
DJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 16:22   #2
Dave47

none at the moment

In the last couple of weeks I could have brought!
A late LR Defender 110 imaculate with extras for under £1000.
A Freelander 2 SD4 HSE 2014 for £3,000
A skoda Yeti 2017 4x4 for £1250.
FB is full of them.

I saw a Fl2 on FB at a very low price and then found the same car on
Autotrader at the correct price, obviously a different trader.
Dave47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 16:25   #3
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

If you find a "bargain" on FB market place always click on the sellers other items , and nearly always they have many dozens of car for sale .

They will be the dodgy sales .. and will be using someone else's duplicated or hacked account.

If you ask about the car the reply will always be to contact via some email outside of FB .

I've often inquired about a local sale saying i can pop round to view and the reply is always its suddenly hundreds of miles away ..

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 18:18   #4
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Last week I spotted an MGR V8 on Gumtree at about half the price it should have been. The seller also had a bargain MGA and 995 other vehicles.

They are everywhere.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 19:16   #5
Grumpyold2hat

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi

Very true, after my daily driver Polo was written off (bought from my son in good faith) because he was off to uni. Paid him what he paid for from a VW main dealer. When the insurance paid out I was shocked to find out that it was registered as a Cat S structural damage which reduced my claim my £800.

I only need a car to do about 3K miles a year and after much searching realized how crazy the used market is and what £3000 cant get you. I reached out to a "friend?" who is a car dealer and asked him if he had anything. He came back and said I have the perfect vehicle, Rover 75 Club 1.8 manual, British Racing Green 88000 full history no advisories everything working for a Desmond (22).

Took it for a test drive and loved it but on further inspection a few things started to concern me, air-con- no, electric mirrors working- no, spiny key in boot- yes, damp boot- yes, lost service manual. I decided to do a Carverticle check only £30 for two checks and it came back as having an S damage accident and loads of advisories, that wasn't showing on the DVLA check. When I showed my "friend?" the report he was not a happy bunny.

Any way the Rover 75 bug had got me and after another load of searching and another couple of Carverticle searches managed to get my 75 Con auto with FSH 77K and in great nick with a few minors (£1400) leaving me a budget give her some TLC.

After all that I suppose I could have just said "Use Carvertical it could save you ££££)

Martyn
Old 5th April 2024, 07:28   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
I think it's fair to say that some places are worth avoiding when searching for a car.

Facebook marketplace seems particularly dodgy. Seen several scammers operating, one allegedly selling a ZT in my own town. The MOT check on it showed it was a real basket case. IThe advert got changed to remove number plates and a lot of fiction added to the text.

I've seen a couple where they've stolen other folks pictures and cropped the pictures, trying to pass it off as their own.

Today I spotted a couple of people trying to sell the same car, BMW 3 series estate. Same pics, no attempt to hide reg. One claimed to be on the south coast selling a petrol hybrid, the other in Essex selling a petrol. Reg number is a diesel!!!

Still just biding my time for the right ZT to appear. 🤪
I can put you in touch with a seller that has to excellent zts for sale at the moment if you are still looking.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk