Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2014, 23:06   #11
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
I do Alan.
One problem is many boy racers have no real experience in difficult conditions. I did the Rospa course years ago and it was totally different to todays offering. My worry is driving standards are poor, a tuned car with standard brakes, suspension and poor driver skills is a lethal weapon.
Like I've said its not all about BHP
I should have added, it's not just about accerlation performance, it's also understanding your cars stopping power, 0-60 in 5 seconds is OK but 60-0 is more important. So as far as I'm concerned a well balanced car is the perfect car, that's why I drive a 75 as is, millions were spent on it's development, who am I to think I can do better.
Old 5th December 2014, 23:35   #12
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

None of our cars can generate huge power tuned.

Even a supercharged V8 is throwing out 380ish bhp and thats not huge power, its a lightly tuned Lancer Evo.

Thats a Audi S3 with a stage 2 remap and decent exhaust system in a car 1/3 lighter.

Or the new Golf R400, 400bhp from factory. Now thats a weapon.

IMO the LACK of tuning with our cars is the main reason there's no aftermarket suspension kits, shocks, springs, lighting options, bodykits / styling packages.

Look at a company like REVO, all in one bolt on tuning solutions for VAG cars for set prices!

If it wasn't for Z and F tuning, MG Lifestyle and Motobuild there is literially nothing for our cars out there.
Old 6th December 2014, 06:52   #13
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_a_n1979 View Post
Only idiots do what you quote, they are out there unfortunately

Anyone with half a brain will upgrade brakes and suspension if they're upping the cars power...

You seem to tar everyone with the same brush, no ifs, no buts...!

I'm an advanced driver, taught by a senior police instructor and a long member of the IAM and have a tuned E60 M5 putting out over 550BHP, does that make me a 'prat'?!
Nah! it does not make you a pratt....but if it did you be one fast pratt
Ken.
Old 6th December 2014, 07:00   #14
d_a_n1979
Banned

2004 MG ZT-T 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Nah! it does not make you a pratt....but if it did you be one fast pratt
Ken.
Fast, but careful/sensible... Unless I'm let loose at Three Sisters

Or Wrynose Pass and there are no cyclists about!
Old 6th December 2014, 07:19   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

bit confused here. At 70 mph how quick can my 115 bhp CDT stop? I remap my 115 to 160 bhp and how quick at 70 mph will it stop in? comments about brakes and suspension only come in to play when the extra bhp is being used at increased speed yes/no?

just by giving it more bhp I cant quite see how the stopping distance and suspension get affected.

adding more bhp does not mean I will cruise any faster or corner any quicker. I may accelerate quicker and when towing my caravan the car may be happier with the extra bhp but again the speeds involved will still be low.

For me lots of bhp is for trundling along the slip lane and then spanking it when I get to the dotted white lines and making "70" or what ever the speed limit is in the blink of an eye. under acceleration I hope note to need my brakes and for that increase I reckon my suspension can handle it. Now I wont spank my 75, the extra bhp is just for towing, the car may not labour at some speeds, when it comes to my bike....,. big grin when accelerating.

macafee2
Old 6th December 2014, 07:39   #16
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
bit confused here. At 70 mph how quick can my 115 bhp CDT stop? I remap my 115 to 160 bhp and how quick at 70 mph will it stop in? comments about brakes and suspension only come in to play when the extra bhp is being used at increased speed yes/no?

just by giving it more bhp I cant quite see how the stopping distance and suspension get affected.

adding more bhp does not mean I will cruise any faster or corner any quicker. I may accelerate quicker and when towing my caravan the car may be happier with the extra bhp but again the speeds involved will still be low.

For me lots of bhp is for trundling along the slip lane and then spanking it when I get to the dotted white lines and making "70" or what ever the speed limit is in the blink of an eye. under acceleration I hope note to need my brakes and for that increase I reckon my suspension can handle it. Now I wont spank my 75, the extra bhp is just for towing, the car may not labour at some speeds, when it comes to my bike....,. big grin when accelerating.

macafee2
So when are you getting it done then

Brian
Old 6th December 2014, 07:42   #17
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_a_n1979 View Post
Only idiots do what you quote, they are out there unfortunately

Anyone with half a brain will upgrade brakes and suspension if they're upping the cars power...

You seem to tar everyone with the same brush, no ifs, no buts...!

I'm an advanced driver, taught by a senior police instructor and a long member of the IAM and have a tuned E60 M5 putting out over 550BHP, does that make me a 'prat'?!
Indeed not and I'm sorry if I've offended you. I bet you like me though have seen some horrific things over the years.
I'm all for improving my cars, the real point I'm making and its only my opinion, we drive on crowded roads, driving standards overall aren't great, so why have 300+ BHP when we can't use it.
I'm not against power but in the hands of an inexperienced driver its lethal. Track days are fun and the place for using a highly tuned vehicle, not the roads.
Just my thoughts and not aimed at anyone in particular.
Old 6th December 2014, 07:45   #18
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Speed and power can get you into trouble if you misuse it, respect it, understand it and it can get you out of "sticky" situations.......we have all had those moments, the ones where you take a deep breath and say to yourself "Geeze that was lucky"
Driving safely doesen`t mean you can`t put your foot down now and then.
Ken.
Old 6th December 2014, 07:48   #19
d_a_n1979
Banned

2004 MG ZT-T 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Indeed not and I'm sorry if I've offended you. I bet you like me though have seen some horrific things over the years.
I'm all for improving my cars, the real point I'm making and its only my opinion, we drive on crowded roads, driving standards overall aren't great, so why have 300+ BHP when we can't use it.
I'm not against power but in the hands of an inexperienced driver its lethal. Track days are fun and the place for using a highly tuned vehicle, not the roads.
Just my thoughts and not aimed at anyone in particular.
That's the thing though, I haven't seen many accidents/horrific things with regards to powerful cars

However, I have seen plenty of accidents involving young/inexperienced boy & girl drivers, old aged drivers generally in city cars or lower powered first-time-driver cars and cyclists!

I'm only 36 but I've been taught to drive carefully, I only passed my test at 20 but I think that helped as I was more grown up rather than being a snot-nosed 17 year old thinking I'm immortal!

You'll find that 90% of owners with powerful cars will drive them carefully because they cherish them but also they're expensive to begin with, never mind fixing them if/when damaged!

It cost me £2k last month to upgrade my discs, pads, lines and fluid on my M5! Imagine how much it would be to sort chassis/body work out on it after a bump!
Old 6th December 2014, 07:51   #20
ROBBIE G
Posted a thing or two

75 saloon 1.8 classic

Ours is not to wonder why?...............ours is just to watch it fly