Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2006, 09:02   #1
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Default I have been reading what car?

What car? readers reviews for the X type has made me smile :lol:

Love the car, very comfortable to drive, very economical returning 45+ mpg.

I've had two problems:
1. People say: "How do you like the Rover 75?"
2: Black smoke when I accelerate heavily, a common fault I believe down to the EGR valve.

.................................................. ..............................................

The run out over the weekend was a real test of its performance and agility. Not impressed at all. The number of gear changes it had to go through I felt was excessive compared to my old, wonderful and much loved Rover 75 2.5 auto which handled the same stretch of road with more agression and ease.

.................................................. .................................................
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 19:45   #2
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
What car? readers reviews for the X type has made me smile :lol:

Love the car, very comfortable to drive, very economical returning 45+ mpg.

I've had two problems:
1. People say: "How do you like the Rover 75?"
2: Black smoke when I accelerate heavily, a common fault I believe down to the EGR valve.

.................................................. ..............................................

The run out over the weekend was a real test of its performance and agility. Not impressed at all. The number of gear changes it had to go through I felt was excessive compared to my old, wonderful and much loved Rover 75 2.5 auto which handled the same stretch of road with more agression and ease.

.................................................. .................................................
Sounds like a very honest reviewer there. Now all he or she has to do is ditch the common and far inferior Jag and get a 75.

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 19:07   #3
la15

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Guys,

I'm in the fortunate position of owning both of these cars, a Rover75 Conn SE 2.5V6 & an X-type Estate 2.2D SE.

The Rover's definitely the more comfortable ride of the two & the interior (leather quality, soft-touch trim etc) is slightly nicer, but the Jag is an absolutely cracking car - sticks to the road like youknowwhat to a blanket & can be driven like an idiot & still return 42mpg. I tend to not drive it like an idiot & get nearly 50mpg, which is a lot more wallet-friendly than the 36mpg the Rover gets. Mind you, for a 2.5 petrol I think that's pretty astounding in itself!

Agree with the gear change comments - the Rover will quite happily do any speed from 30 upwards in 5th, whereas the diesel Jag needs you to constantly change gear.

Both cars are dark blue, & with both of them having the 4 headlights each they look pretty nice sat on the drive together!
la15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 19:10   #4
la15

Rover 75 Saloon

Should have mentioned:

I always thought the Rover was pretty nippy, but the Jag absolutely wipes the floor with it!
Prefer the nice growl of the Rover V6 any day though.
Old 11th December 2006, 19:12   #5
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Very nice and having both of them you are the ideal person to judge between the two. :lol:

Ken
Old 11th December 2006, 19:14   #6
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Without money coming into it and only going on driving pleasure..................

..................tomorrow morning you have to get rid of one, which one would go?

Ken
Old 11th December 2006, 19:26   #7
la15

Rover 75 Saloon

Wow, tough question!

I've been sitting here now for a good few minutes thinking about this & I honestly could not choose!

No kidding I've re-written this reply half a dozen times now.

Realistic answer:
I think if Rover were still in business, then I would get rid of the Jag, but with things the way they are, the Rover would be the one to go.

Answer from the heart:
The Jag would go.

There is soooooo little to choose between these cars though - they're both lovely to drive & give you a nice warm feeling when you get in either of them.

Don't ask me questions like that again!!!
I'm going to be thinking about this all night now!
Old 11th December 2006, 20:32   #8
madone
Posted a thing or two

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by la15 View Post
Wow, tough question!

I've been sitting here now for a good few minutes thinking about this & I honestly could not choose!

Realistic answer:
I think if Rover were still in business, then I would get rid of the Jag, but with things the way they are, the Rover would be the one to go.

Answer from the heart:
The Jag would go.

There is soooooo little to choose between these cars though - they're both lovely to drive & give you a nice warm feeling when you get in either of them.

Must be a nice feeling regardless my friend
madone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2006, 20:35   #9
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Wow, tough question!

Realistic answer:

Answer from the heart:
The Jag would go.

Hi la15, hope you are enjoying the forum. So if you did not own either the 75 or Jag but was about to buy one which would it be?

"Eliza ... Where the devil are my slippers?"
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 06:49   #10
Ken
Busy doing nothing!

Quote:
Wow, tough question!

Realistic answer:

Answer from the heart:
The Jag would go.

Thanks for the honest answer, it was well thought out and truthful. Heres another question not as tough this time................

I have a 75 and a Metro, I am treated differently by other road users when driving the 75 to the Metro. For instance if in the middle or inside lane and I want to move out into the next others will not let me out. Another thing is people would rather fight than let me park in the last parking space when in the Metro. The 75 is different though other road users flash me out or never want to fight over parking spaces, they seem to be a lot more respectful

Question................

Do you find a differerence of attitude from other road users when driving the individual cars?

Ken