Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2015, 14:17   #1
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Default Handbrake Compensator

Hi All,

I got back late last night and had an SSC waiting for me from Arctic so after a bit of a lazy morning (just done 28 12hr nightshifts so I think I deserved some rest lol) I set about changing my compensator out so I could get the old one back to Arctic in the post this afternoon, however, I seem to have hit a snag. I cannot for the life of me release the forward cable coming from the hand brake lever. Yes it is off before any of you jump on me with funny remarks lol

Any suggestions?

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 14:19   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Have you slackened the nut right off under the lever, & removed the little clip holding the cables in the compensator
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 14:24   #3
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Aye mate the 13mm nut on the lever is fully slackened and the black clip has been removed but there seems to still be a load of tension on the cable and it seems to me that the adjuster has been over done at some point which possibly means the cable is stuck in a taut position even with the handbrake off.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
Old 15th May 2015, 16:00   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Put the nut on a few threads and give it a sharp tap with a hammer, via a piece of hardwood (to protect the nut and threaded portion of the cable). This should shock the cable loose (hopefully).
Mike
Old 15th May 2015, 16:59   #5
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Put the nut on a few threads and give it a sharp tap with a hammer, via a piece of hardwood (to protect the nut and threaded portion of the cable). This should shock the cable loose (hopefully).
Mike
Cheers mate, good idea n will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Lee.

Old 15th May 2015, 18:04   #6
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
Cheers mate, good idea n will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how I get on.
I did the compensator on my auto last week and found even though i slackened off the nut all the way the threaded part stuck where it was. Came loose with a sharp whack then i was able to remove the washers that had been put under it. Should work for you too.

Personally i found it easier to remove the 2 rear cables first, then slip the compensator together with front cable out through the side gap created by lifting the console with the patented arctic v cut brush handle, so you can easily see the black clip, and manipulate the front cable.

Took me about 2 hours to remove compensator, modify it with shackle and clevis pin, then refit. Tha included one cup of coffee. I would say 30 minutes of it was getting the back seat back down properly.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015, 18:17   #7
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
I did the compensator on my auto last week and found even though i slackened off the nut all the way the threaded part stuck where it was. Came loose with a sharp whack then i was able to remove the washers that had been put under it. Should work for you too.

Personally i found it easier to remove the 2 rear cables first, then slip the compensator together with front cable out through the side gap created by lifting the console with the patented arctic v cut brush handle, so you can easily see the black clip, and manipulate the front cable.

Took me about 2 hours to remove compensator, modify it with shackle and clevis pin, then refit. Tha included one cup of coffee. I would say 30 minutes of it was getting the back seat back down properly.
Cheers mate,

The bit of studding sticking out was packed with washers already so hopefully works for me too...

Didn't want to infringe on Arctics copyright v cut brush handle so I used a 19mm open ended spanner lol

Lee.

Old 15th May 2015, 21:38   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
Hi All,

I got back late last night and had an SSC waiting for me from Arctic so after a bit of a lazy morning (just done 28 12hr nightshifts so I think I deserved some rest lol) I set about changing my compensator out so I could get the old one back to Arctic in the post this afternoon, however, I seem to have hit a snag. I cannot for the life of me release the forward cable coming from the hand brake lever. Yes it is off before any of you jump on me with funny remarks lol

Any suggestions?
Hi Lee.
Check if there are ant washes or a large bolt under the front adjuster nut, if so take off the nut and remove the washers/packers what ever as been used re-fit the nut flush the top of the thread then have ago at popping out the front cable from the compensator.

As for the copyright on the piece of wood with the V cut into it to hold up the console there is not one cheers Arctic

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...&postcount=103

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 02:34   #9
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Lee.
Check if there are ant washes or a large bolt under the front adjuster nut, if so take off the nut and remove the washers/packers what ever as been used re-fit the nut flush the top of the thread then have ago at popping out the front cable from the compensator.

As for the copyright on the piece of wood with the V cut into it to hold up the console there is not one cheers Arctic

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...&postcount=103
Cheers mate hopefully will get it sorted early afternoon.

Lee.

Old 16th May 2015, 14:07   #10
KRISTLEE

None at the moment.

Just to let yas know compensator changed out...tapping the studding on the lever worked a treat so thanks for the tip (being a marine engineer you'd have thought I would've tried that...guess I was getting tired lol).

Arctic...old one will be in the post Monday so you should get it Tuesday or Wednesday..cheers mate.

Lee.