Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th May 2015, 22:13   #1
QuestionMark
Regular poster

LHD Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT Conn auto 2002

Default 75 CDT Liquid trapped in EGR after cleaning

I recently removed the EGR valve and inlet manifold from a 75 CDT parts car to clean and fit to my regular 75. I got the impression on the forum that it was a nasty job (and it was), so I soaked the parts in both diesel and soapy water (separately) for several days in between high pressure washing the parts.. Don't know if the soaking did any good, but the parts seem relatively clean now

Anyway, on to the problem: there is now some liquid (diesel and/or water) inside that little turret on the EGR where the vacuum hose connects, which I can't get out.. I managed to shake out most of it, but I can still hear that there's a little more left. I tried to blow the rest out with air, and some did come out, but there's more left. Anyone got any ideas? It will take forever to evaporate naturally, so I considered putting it in the oven on low temperature or something, but then I fear the kitchen and oven will smell of diesel afterwards.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue after cleaning the EGR? Do you have any suggestions, or do you know if it's safe to fit the EGR without it being completely dry?
QuestionMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 22:19   #2
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionMark View Post
I recently removed the EGR valve and inlet manifold from a 75 CDT parts car to clean and fit to my regular 75. I got the impression on the forum that it was a nasty job (and it was), so I soaked the parts in both diesel and soapy water (separately) for several days in between high pressure washing the parts.. Don't know if the soaking did any good, but the parts seem relatively clean now

Anyway, on to the problem: there is now some liquid (diesel and/or water) inside that little turret on the EGR where the vacuum hose connects, which I can't get out.. I managed to shake out most of it, but I can still hear that there's a little more left. I tried to blow the rest out with air, and some did come out, but there's more left. Anyone got any ideas? It will take forever to evaporate naturally, so I considered putting it in the oven on low temperature or something, but then I fear the kitchen and oven will smell of diesel afterwards.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issue after cleaning the EGR? Do you have any suggestions, or do you know if it's safe to fit the EGR without it being completely dry?
I'd fit it, leave the vacuum pipe off for a few days (blank the hose with a small bolt) and the under bonnet heat will dry it out, then reattach the vacuum hose if you want the EGR to work.
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 00:15   #3
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
I'd fit it, leave the vacuum pipe off for a few days (blank the hose with a small bolt) and the under bonnet heat will dry it out, then reattach the vacuum hose if you want the EGR to work.
If the water is on the EGR side of the diaphragm, the movement of air in the inlet manifold will dry it out anyway. Either way the water will evaporate.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 00:56   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
The pipe should of been blocked off with a bit of fuel line/hose and a screw in the end to stop any fluid entering, bit to late now hopefully it will dry out

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 03:36   #5
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
If the water is on the EGR side of the diaphragm, the movement of air in the inlet manifold will dry it out anyway. Either way the water will evaporate.
I read it as water is in the control side which won't evaporate by the action of air flowing through the EGR valve.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:15   #6
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Quote:
Great suggestion, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
The pipe should of been blocked off with a bit of fuel line/hose and a screw in the end to stop any fluid entering, bit to late now hopefully it will dry out
I didn't think it would be that hard to dry it out, but I agree that's what I should've done. Also there's another small hole that would need to be blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Quote:
I read it as water is in the control side which won't evaporate by the action of air flowing through the EGR valve.
I don't know what you mean by diaphragm or EGR vs control side, but there's really just one place for the water to be trapped, no? Or is the "turret" as I call it (if you understand) split into two sections? I'm not familiar with the contruction of the EGR.
Old 18th May 2015, 18:20   #7
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Great suggestion, thank you

I didn't think it would be that hard to dry it out, but I agree that's what I should've done. Also there's another small hole that would need to be blocked.

I don't know what you mean by diaphragm or EGR vs control side, but there's really just one place for the water to be trapped, no? Or is the "turret" as I call it (if you understand) split into two sections? I'm not familiar with the contruction of the EGR.
The control side is where the little pipe connects to the EGR valve. The little pipe carries a vacuum which moves the diaphragm (the circular bit) which in turn open/closes the EGR valve. Hope that is clear..
Old 18th May 2015, 18:36   #8
QuestionMark
Regular poster

Quote:
The control side is where the little pipe connects to the EGR valve. The little pipe carries a vacuum which moves the diaphragm (the circular bit) which in turn open/closes the EGR valve. Hope that is clear..
It is, thanks!