Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th May 2015, 19:52   #1
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Default ATF Change Paranoia

Doing a fair bit of essential work on Loxi this past week. Part of that was an ATF change. Read the threads, checked the book. Hardest part was getting the car level but as near as darn it I suppose. Drained the fluid then added 4.5 of new and pumped out exactly 4 litres. Topped it up and ran through each selector position, removed the level plug and let it drain. Took the car for a short run. When I returned I got the car roughly level again (how the heck does one check it, even on a level surface the car may not sit level) anyway, removed the level plug with the engine running and after a small amount came out no more evident. I put around half a cupful in the top and after a few seconds it trickled from the level plug then went to a very slow drip.She's done around 15 mile since. I am going to check it again at the start of the week and put a little more in the top to check it's ok after a few mile run. should I wait until all dripping stops completely before replacing the level plug ?

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 20:01   #2
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

I did this for the first time recently; I did not wait until it stopped completely (I think I might still be waiting and the box would be empty) For me it was when it changed from a small flow to a droplet dribble.

Put it all back together and refitted the fill plug; done about 1000 miles since and its much quieter and smoother

Will be doing the ZTT in the next couple of weeks

D
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 11:15   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennine View Post
should I wait until all dripping stops completely before replacing the level plug ?
I doubt it makes that much difference. The level plug is a weir that lets excess fluid overflow. By the time it's dripping the level isn't far off. The MGR documentation states you wait till dripping stops. I guess it depends on how long you're prepared to wait. Garages certainly won't wait very long. I'd say the temperature it's filled at (35-40C) has far more effect on the volume.

MGR doc: http://www.mediafire.com/view/xykqwq...ic_Gearbox.pdf

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 07:16   #4
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I waited till the steady flow went to a dribble. So far all is 100%