Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st May 2018, 19:09   #1
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Default I bought a Lexus

It's for SWMBO, my ZT is going nowhere

She decided it was time to have her own car, so, after showing her ever vehicle in the known universe she decides she likes either the BMW X3 or the Land rover Freelander with the conditions that 1, must be black, 2, must have leather, 3, must have running boards 4, no more than £7k

Over to me to find one, this will be easy lol

Anyway I find a Freelander in Manchester and we set off to test drive it, "like driving a tractor" apparently.

Ok, so it's the Beemer then,

I find one of those in Burton on Trent and off we set again for a test drive. SWMBO heads off for the test drive and I stay behind to batter the salesman's ears lol.
I've knocked him down £900 by the time she gets back and I'm ready to put cash on the table but,,,,,she hates the interior.

Not that she's hard to please or anything lol

However, she does spot a Lexus RX400h Hybrid 4x4 on the car lot and loves it, apart from the colour (it's silver)

Back to me to find a black one!

More driving round the country ensues, the first Two turn out to be overpriced, battered heaps, the first one we look at has the engine covers held on with duct tape!! The second has obviously damaged suspension and was shredding its left rear tyre. The third one I found (in Birmingham) was a gem!
Thousands of pounds of receipts for servicing and maintenance, only 60k miles and in great condition. So we bought it.

I don't drive it much but it's a bit of a culture shock compared to my ZT.
it's VERY quite, freakishly quiet when it's on battery and not much louder when the engine starts.
It's gadgeted up to the eyeballs, I dread to think how many electric motors are in it! Seats, steering wheel, tailgate etc, everything moves around at the touch of a button!
On the down side it's a wallowy truck compared to the MG and the electronic steering feels numb and soggy.
The CVT is taking some getting used to, as is the American style floor mounted park brake pedal. Then there is the " fly by wire" accelerator. It doesn't rev the engine!
Even when the engine is on you can be in neutral, pump the accelerator pedal and nothing happens, it's not natural!!!!!
However, the biggest difference has got to be fuel. It's a 3.3 ltr V6 and after the first week of driving it looks like we are getting about 5mpg more than when she was driving the ZT to work

It's not something I would have chosen for myself, but SWMBO loves it. I'm dreading when it goes wrong though!

Last edited by neilb740; 21st May 2018 at 19:39..
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 19:44   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

As the owner of an RX300 I can testify they are a lovely car and a good step up from a 75 or ZT if you find them too low...

Mine drives like a dream and I am currently just over 300 miles and still going on a £45 tank of LPG
Old 21st May 2018, 20:26   #3
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
As the owner of an RX300 I can testify they are a lovely car and a good step up from a 75 or ZT if you find them too low...

Mine drives like a dream and I am currently just over 300 miles and still going on a £45 tank of LPG
I don't know how tall you are klarzy, but do you fit in ok?
Like I said in the previous post the Rx400 is mostly for the Mrs and she's much shorter than me so it isn't a big problem but even with the seat in its lowest position my hair is still brushing the headlining and more annoying, the rear view mirror won't adjust up enough for me to use it without stooping down. For such a big vehicle I find this a bit strange.
I'm fairly tall (6'2") but I'm no giant.
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 20:35   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
I don't know how tall you are klarzy, but do you fit in ok?
Like I said in the previous post the Rx400 is mostly for the Mrs and she's much shorter than me so it isn't a big problem but even with the seat in its lowest position my hair is still brushing the headlining and more annoying, the rear view mirror won't adjust up enough for me to use it without stooping down. For such a big vehicle I find this a bit strange.
I'm fairly tall (6'2") but I'm no giant.
I am 5 10 to 5 11 and no problem... the 400h may be more chopped than the 300... it's an 05...