Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2018, 09:28   #1
crussell
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Airbag warning light **Update - Fixed**

Hello again.

So after failing yesterday on one fix on my car, thought I'd set about trying to establish why the airbag light is on. I tried removing the seat base bolts to get to the electrical connections and they wouldn't budge either. I had a T50 tor bit that was too small really, and a T55 that was too big to fit...am I missing something or is there another tool it I should be investing in?
Thanks

Last edited by crussell; 30th May 2018 at 17:32..
crussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 11:26   #2
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Most people use Torx T 50 however the correct size is actually Ribe 8, normally torx T 50 will work tho.

What you may find however as I have found more times than I care to remember from dismantling, is that somebody may have put the wrong size torx in before then used a rattle gun and started to round them off.

Be very careful not to round them off, I always start with the front two bolts then send the chair as far forward as possible and get the back straight up to do the rears.
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 12:52   #3
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Don't forget you can reach the airbag under seat plugs without removing the seat , just unplug and plug back in a few times using some switch cleaner and it often dos the trick, make sure you do both sides

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 17:46   #4
crussell
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks guys. Think your right, I used a t50 and it slipped. ..didn't try again. Disconnected and put together the connection a few times this afternoon, was surprised how minute the connections are. Going to snip it off and butt connect tomorrow see if that works thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 17:51   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Torx plus 50 or Ribe 8 are the best bits for removal
Torx 50, Ribe 8, Torx plus 50
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 08:55   #6
crussell
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

I'll bear that in mind thanks
Think I'm gonna try cutting them and connecting them first. Should the battery be disconnected or will it be OK if I haven't driven it for 24 hours?
Old 21st May 2018, 10:49   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

By the book the battery should be disconnected for 20 mins before doing anything with the connectors. Don't forget a problem with the seat belt pre-tensioner wiring can bring the airbag light up as well.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 16:48   #8
crussell
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Hmm I'll check that out too, thanks. Would disconnecting the fuse have the same effect? As in, remove live to the circuit without having to disconnect the battery and lose my radio code?
Old 21st May 2018, 22:04   #9
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell View Post
Hello again.

So after failing yesterday on one fix on my car, thought I'd set about trying to establish why the airbag light is on. I tried removing the seat base bolts to get to the electrical connections and they wouldn't budge either. I had a T50 tor bit that was too small really, and a T55 that was too big to fit...am I missing something or is there another tool it I should be investing in?
Thanks
This probably applies to much earlier cars also but on later cars with the smaller plug/socket arrangement up to VIN RJ336240:- if the SRS light wiring lead isn't routed/secured correctly any small movement i.e. adjusting the seat forward/backward position or a rather big bum on the seat squab, can put the loom in tension and 'break' the internal pin contact - and the light goes 'on' and repeats itself at regular intervals until you reach for the sidecutters!
There is a Technical Bulletin (TB0133 issue2 dated 27/08/2004) on the subject. With the seat removed, a simple bit of re-routing and a cable tie should fix the problem - and at the the same time you can check out the contacts and put a little Vasoline on them to enhance pin contact longer term (the pins on the smaller plugs are gold plated so corrosion shouldn't be an issue).
IMVHO that is a far better solution than chopping off the connectors (which are a very good design anyway - they just get a rather bad press for the vexing SRS light issues that regularly appear on here).
Keep it OEM I say.

Last edited by rab60bit; 21st May 2018 at 22:07..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 18:39   #10
crussell
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks very much for that into

I'll locate that bulletin and have a read...

I was about to post on here because I tried the disconnect the fuse bit tonight to no avail. All the connectors were not mounted on the frame so looks like someone's been there before.

I removed a bit of the trim near the door and found the carpet to be wet and water in the floor of the car...v annoyed cos I think I've been sold a did and I've just spent a fortune getting all the belts done and service thinking the airbag light would be a quick fix

I guess the next step is to get the interior out, dry it and check the impact sensors??