Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th May 2018, 08:08   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Royal Wedding Costs

Obviously, the ceremony today and the security around it costs a lot of money, but when someone near me yesterday was moaning that it cost "twenty three million pounds of taxpayers money" I felt compelled to add, that I probably contributed one pound to that bill, and I felt that good value. Perspective is an individual observation,for me I think it's not a bad thing.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 09:18   #2
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Offset against that 23 million, is the revenue generated worldwide for British businesses, the increase in trade for the local economy, much of it for small businesses, and the general feel good factor for the whole country. So yeah, good value in my eyes
Old 19th May 2018, 10:26   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

With the above in mind.........I wonder if the taxpayer would like to pay for my wedding?!!
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 12:43   #4
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Dropped what I was doing (new belt and pulleys on my MX-5) to watch the wedding. Wonderful from start to finish! The American Episcopalian minister was a hoot! Should have got a round of applause but of course royal occasions are not quite so vulgar I guess.

Time and again it occurred to me that it was being seen right around the world and what a wonderful bonanza for the tourist trade. The return on the wedding costs will be enormous, but I suppose that's vulgar to some. Not to me. Ah well, back to the oily bits.
Old 19th May 2018, 12:59   #5
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I used to be very anti royal but Harry seems a very down to earth young man as is his brother. Serving in a war zone more than once has earned him the protection today he afforded others fighting for his country. I’m not watching it nor am I interested but it makes so many people feel good so yes it’s money very well spent
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 15:52   #6
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
I used to be very anti royal but Harry seems a very down to earth young man as is his brother. Serving in a war zone more than once has earned him the protection today he afforded others fighting for his country. I’m not watching it nor am I interested but it makes so many people feel good so yes it’s money very well spent
Likewise, not really bothered about it but it has to be said. We as a country do put on a good show
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 06:53   #7
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Wish them both well, as for the cost agree with Ray will come back 10 fold..great PR for the royal family, mixed race american divorcee wow. But hey, Harry is a straight shooter and has done wonders for war veterens.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 07:42   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The cost I believe is actually £32m, of which circa £30m was expended on security.

I personally don't have strong views one way or the other, other than respecting the fact that all views are valid from individual perspectives.

The national pride being demonstrated was excellent - if only it could be channeled into people buying British and protecting jobs.

I did feel that having celebrities at reception was a let down. It should have been more of a state occasion with the aristocracy being present in abundance. One can only take so much of the Beckhams and the like.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 09:27   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The cost I believe is actually £32m, of which circa £30m was expended on security.

I personally don't have strong views one way or the other, other than respecting the fact that all views are valid from individual perspectives.

The national pride being demonstrated was excellent - if only it could be channeled into people buying British and protecting jobs.

I did feel that having celebrities at reception was a let down. It should have been more of a state occasion with the aristocracy being present in abundance. One can only take so much of the Beckhams and the like.
From my perspective - the fact that she is/was a TV celebrity I think the likes of Clooney and Elton John were valid invitees - but Victoria Beckam needs to see a Proctologist about that wasp........

And I am glad it wasn’t a State Occaision - because if it was, then Trump would have had to have been invited
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 09:51   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I had to go out but later watched the highlights of the wedding on TV. The Royal family are popular in Kenya and the wedding was on all day, on virtually every channel and the same was repeated yesterday. I missed the Victoria Beckam moment

I wish the happy couple every success in the years ahead, making babies and representing the interests of the UK.
Gate Keeper is online now   Reply With Quote