Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd February 2018, 18:28   #1
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Default Passenger window motor relay?

Hi all,
The passenger window on "project car" only goes up and down if I repeatedly operate the drivers (or passengers) switch mechanism quickly.
I can hear a relay clicking as I press the button. It sounds like it's coming from the BCU, but I can't see any related relays here.
TOAF has generated the following report.

Is there a relay that could be at fault, and if so, where is it located?
Or does it just need a new window motor?

BY the way, I have tried the following:
Both switch mechanisms have been cleaned.
Assisting the window lift, as I press the button doesn't work.
"One touch open / close" is not enabled on passenger side on TOAF (which gave me similar symptoms on my other car).

Also, just in case it's related, the passenger door lock does not "pop up" by pressing the key fob, or interior switch. In can only be unlocked by using the inside door handle.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:45   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Would be interesting to try the next TOAF window, if you click on “control” then there’s an option to close / open whichever window you wish. When I tried it the window selected opened all the way, alt. closed all the way in one sweep. If these operate as they should then I’d suspect the window master switch as dirty alt. faulty.

Easy enough to fit another BCU just to check operation, (you will inherit options from that BCU which might not be the same as yours eg speedlocking) but you can configure it to your wishes with TOAF. Be aware that your keyfob circuit boards will need installing if you plan to keep the BCU. MarinaBrian wrote a hack for installing 2nd hand keyfobs.

Can’t remember if mine are one touch open enabled or not, could check tomorrow if you want?

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:38   #3
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Would be interesting to try the next TOAF window, if you click on “control” then there’s an option to close / open whichever window you wish. When I tried it the window selected opened all the way, alt. closed all the way in one sweep. If these operate as they should then I’d suspect the window master switch as dirty alt. faulty.

Easy enough to fit another BCU just to check operation, (you will inherit options from that BCU which might not be the same as yours eg speedlocking) but you can configure it to your wishes with TOAF. Be aware that your keyfob circuit boards will need installing if you plan to keep the BCU. MarinaBrian wrote a hack for installing 2nd hand keyfobs.

Can’t remember if mine are one touch open enabled or not, could check tomorrow if you want?

Regards

Thanks. I will check if I can use the "control" option to see what it does. (I don't like doing too much on TOAF, in case I do something bad..&#128561.
Yes, can you check to see if you have "one touch" enabled on the passenger window? On my other saloon, this had the same effect...i.e. Window would only open by repeatedly operating the button.

2009 E220 (For a change)
Old 24th February 2018, 11:15   #4
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Ok, I used the "control" option in TOAF, and when requested, passenger window would open and close.
So I guess the motor works fine.
Before I started, there was an error listed "window fuse", but this was cleared and never came back.
I checked the 30A fuse 35 in the passenger footwell, and it was ok.
For a bit, the BCU seemed to get its knickers in a twist, because when operating the drivers window switch, the passenger window would operate (in 10mm increments), and when operating the passenger window switch, the drivers window would operate.
This quickly rectified itself though.
Not sure where to go from here.
I'll probably check the anti trap sensor at some point, even though this is only supposed to be on the drivers door.

2009 E220 (For a change)
Old 24th February 2018, 11:44   #5
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Get the same nervousness when using TOAF with no Poles around to ask. Last time I checked their website they announced a TOAF workshop run by the master himself - so much we are missing out on.

Anyway, after clearing the four inches of overnight snow I ran TOAF to check my passenger (front) window, curiously the one touch open button was highlighted but the one touch close disable highlighted. I checked the operation of the window using the “control” open / close window. Resulting in a single stage fully opened / closed movement. I then enabled (and saved) the one touch close on the passenger window, result was a jerky non-fluid operation requiring multiple presses to raise the window. I reverted to disable and it’s back to a single continuous movement while the button is activated.

So it seems if you don’t want those 10mm increments you should disable the one touch open.

Regards
Old 24th February 2018, 13:16   #6
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Get the same nervousness when using TOAF with no Poles around to ask. Last time I checked their website they announced a TOAF workshop run by the master himself - so much we are missing out on.

Anyway, after clearing the four inches of overnight snow I ran TOAF to check my passenger (front) window, curiously the one touch open button was highlighted but the one touch close disable highlighted. I checked the operation of the window using the “control” open / close window. Resulting in a single stage fully opened / closed movement. I then enabled (and saved) the one touch close on the passenger window, result was a jerky non-fluid operation requiring multiple presses to raise the window. I reverted to disable and it’s back to a single continuous movement while the button is activated.

So it seems if you don’t want those 10mm increments you should disable the one touch open.

Regards

Mine is disabled...🙄

2009 E220 (For a change)
Old 24th February 2018, 17:50   #7
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Oops, forgot to thank you for going to the trouble of checking that.😳. Thanks.

2009 E220 (For a change)
Old 24th February 2018, 19:28   #8
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

You are most welcome, and a thanks warms after going out in our minus 7c.

Sorry it didn't lead anywhere and I didn't take any screenshot as I keep forgetting how to do screenshots on a Windows machine. But from what I remember my open window was enabled and closed disabled before I changed the closed settings. But both worked perfectly opening / closing in one continuous action, wierd. It was only when I changed (and saved) the close settings to enable that the jerky action appeared and like you described in 10mm increments. Reverted and all back to normal.

My 827 windows had gremlins and needed calibration every so often but never heard of this on a 75.

Still you know that the windows work as they should using the "control" tab. Hope someone with a better understanding can advise you.

I've got my own gremlins to hunt, I want all four doors to open on one click, two do sometimes a third and and only one occasion all four. Yet all do close and lock from the central console.

Wish the Poles would put their workshops on YouTube even with subtitles, what a help it would be for us experimenting in the dark.

Regards
Old 17th May 2018, 20:09   #9
75driver
Posted a thing or two

I still haven’t got to the bottom of the non operating passenger window. I connected in a spare used / working window motor mechanism, but still got the “relay clicking noises”, but only incremental movement of the mechanism.

Would any of these other errors have something to do with it.?

I like the idea of swapping out the BCU, but don’t rally like the idea of recoding keys etc..😳

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2009 E220 (For a change)
Old 17th May 2018, 20:42   #10
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry can't help with the fault codes described, there are more knowledgeable people around. But it you want to swop your BCU for the same kind but don't like the idea of coding keys then see if you can find a breaker who has the BCU and two key fobs from the same car, you will then have to swop your transponder chips which are also within the keyfobs. And if all is well and you plan to keep your "new" BCU you should copy the vin / mileage from the IPK using TOAF otherwise you'll end up with an "ERR" message indicating a mismatch.

Good luck