Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd February 2018, 09:28   #11
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As said, for the cost of the bolt, why would you want to take the chance?

Personally, I renew them every time.

Oh & the same goes for K-Series head bolts.......why take the chance after all that work considering the cost of a new set?
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 11:46   #12
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
As said, for the cost of the bolt, why would you want to take the chance?

Personally, I renew them every time.

Oh & the same goes for K-Series head bolts.......why take the chance after all that work considering the cost of a new set?
Engineering is about NOT taking chances, and by knowledge using materials to their best possible use.
Any fool can buy new every time, but it takes knowledge and skill to know when to do what.

In this case it is safe to re-use.
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:06   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beinet1 View Post
Re-using bolts that have been torqued to yield, will in most cases work. That is clearly explained in the link above.
Assuming that they haven't been severely over tightened during any previous work of course.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:33   #14
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Engineering is about NOT taking chances, and by knowledge using materials to their best possible use.
Any fool can buy new every time, but it takes knowledge and skill to know when to do what.

In this case it is safe to re-use.
First things first: I don't appreciate being called a fool so you can put a stop to that straight away!

45yrs in the motor trade & still going proves that I think!!
That includes engineering so I am fully aware of when or when not to replace.

When I have to carry out work on customers cars & new bolts are specified (especially internal engine bolts), that is exactly what I fit. I have to provide a warranty with all my work & I quite happily do that knowing that I have done the best job possible.
I do exactly the same on my own vehicles & always have done.

My whole being that for less than £5 for a camshaft sprocket bolt on a KV6, why not replace them when they are specified?

Of course, all the above is just a matter of personal choice.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 04:59   #15
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
When I have to carry out work on customers cars & new bolts are specified (especially internal engine bolts), that is exactly what I fit. I have to provide a warranty with all my work & I quite happily do that knowing that I have done the best job possible.
I do exactly the same on my own vehicles & always have done.
Of course, all the above is just a matter of personal choice.
I am 100% supporting this
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 18:26   #16
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

I've commented before in that I think there is a problem with the new camshaft bolts being supplied (made by Poonaforge in India). The thick washers that come attached have a small raised lip on one side, depending on which way the washer is on the bolt, this lip will contact the face of the belt-wheel first. I am convinced that this causes an incorrect tension on the bolt when the 27 Nm toque is reached before tightening a further 90 degrees. As a result we have no idea just what the clamping force generated is.

The solution would be to grind off the lip on the washer before use, but my preference would be to reuse the original British manufacture bolt provided its history is known. However, as the bolt has been used and stretched by design, the official torque and turn setting no longer applies.

My question is roughly what torque should be applied when re-using these bolts. Several of the experienced guys here reuse these bolts so what's your advice in these circumstances.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 20:35   #17
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
I've commented before in that I think there is a problem with the new camshaft bolts being supplied (made by Poonaforge in India). The thick washers that come attached have a small raised lip on one side, depending on which way the washer is on the bolt, this lip will contact the face of the belt-wheel first. I am convinced that this causes an incorrect tension on the bolt when the 27 Nm toque is reached before tightening a further 90 degrees. As a result we have no idea just what the clamping force generated is.

The solution would be to grind off the lip on the washer before use, but my preference would be to reuse the original British manufacture bolt provided its history is known. However, as the bolt has been used and stretched by design, the official torque and turn setting no longer applies.

My question is roughly what torque should be applied when re-using these bolts. Several of the experienced guys here reuse these bolts so what's your advice in these circumstances.
It has not been stretched permanently.
If you operate in the elastic range, the bolt reverts to its original size when undone. You are definitely operating in the elastic range here.
The bolt thus behaves exactly like a spring and complies with Hooke's law of elasticity.

Just fit the bolt, tighten to spec and relax.
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:12   #18
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Yesterday I removed my front camshaft sprocket bolts. I know that my engine is as it left the factory because I am the second owner and I have all the service invoices from new.

There was no thread locking compound on the bolts. I examined them very carefully and there was no evidence of any deformation. Under a watchmaker's glass the threads looked exactly like the new bolts I have bought to replace them. I conclude that they have not been taken into the 'plastic' range. I'd say that the official advice to renew them is precautionary.

Simon
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:57   #19
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

THanks to Kaiser and SD1too for your comments. This make three of us that think that although the bolt is being stretched, it is still in the elastic range, so reuse should not be a problem so long as it has not been abused by overtightening before.

I'll now be quite happy to reuse original bolts, as others do. When I use the new Indian bolts I will check the washer and grind off the lip if necessary as I'm sure its presence results in incorrect tightening.

Re threadlock, its use on these bolts is not specified, so should not be used.
Old 17th May 2018, 08:58   #20
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The camshaft bolts are angle tightened so are yielding when used. Probably enough safety margin in them to cope with being re-used, but of course you don't know how many people before you have thought the same.
Certainly a conflict of opinion over camshaft bolts in the elastic range or beyond.

However, my original question concerned the quality of the currently supplied new Indian-made bolts. If I want to re-use the original English bolts, previously used once, suggestions on what to torque them up to? Because they have been used and stretched as a result of use, I feel that the low torque plus angle turn method is no longer applicable, so my question to the guys that re-use camshaft bolts is "what do you torque them to?"