Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2016, 15:47   #1
crown
Gets stuck in

mg zt saloon

Default National clutch

Has anyone fitted a national clutch to their car ? Mine being a 1.8 turbo, they do seem to be rather cheap.

Mark. 😀

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]mods so far; auto boot lift mod, stainless steel back box, jvc double din head unit, vibe speakers, black oak dash, plenum mod, refurbished hairpins, retro fit illuminated sun visors k & n air filter,aero wipers.retro fit electric rear blind.
roewe front bumper with mg grill badge.new turbo vac pipes.
crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:54   #2
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

They are cheap, and if fitted properly will do a job.

The warranty is worthless.

IMHO - if you can afford a better one, get it. I've driven a 75 with a national clutch in it, and although functional, it was noticeably heavier and clunkier.
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:55   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown View Post
Has anyone fitted a national clutch to their car ? Mine being a 1.8 turbo, they do seem to be rather cheap.

Mark. 😀

I was quoted a couple of weeks back £26.90 + VAT for a two part National Clutch kit.........would I fit one....I'd rather take the bus for the rest of my life

Don't scrimp on parts where the cost of labour is the same whether fitting second rate stuff or decent quality

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 16:10   #4
Davy
Avid contributor

suzuki vitara

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I was quoted a couple of weeks back £26.90 + VAT for a two part National Clutch kit.........would I fit one....I'd rather take the bus for the rest of my life

Don't scrimp on parts where the cost of labour is the same whether fitting second rate stuff or decent quality

Brian
Have you got your bus pass then Brian.

Davy
Old 24th November 2016, 20:07   #5
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
I couldn't agree more Brian, there is a saying " fitting good parts first time only fit once".
With me Brian it's only a personal opinion but I like Luk slaves and Borg&beck clutches. I've always found them to be acceptable.
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:09   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

A certain poster on this thread told me, " buy cheap, buy twice". Ain't that the case Bri?
Old 24th November 2016, 20:27   #7
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Not Quite Rich,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
A certain poster on this thread told me, " buy cheap, buy twice". Ain't that the case Bri?
I got misled too, it was not this thread that Brian's `buy cheap, buy twice`was mentioned. I think it's because we've been so taken by clutches and costs of late that it's all blended into one. I do think that we all learned a very important lesson about clutches, they are very expensive to buy if good quality, not easy to fit as a DIY project but, the right clutch and the care taken will easily be cost effective in the long term.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 20:35   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown View Post

Mark. ��

Well seeing as you ask I've got to creep into the confessional and hold me hand up.

I bought one because they are cheap, and the way I drive, I reckoned that whatever I fitted would outlast the slave cylinder on my car - this is a car valued at well under £200 according to a recent thread mind.

I've yet to buy a new master cylinder either, just stripped and cleaned the old one out and swapped seals around from a couple of used ones.

The plate I took out had hardly worn, and after measuring it, it was well within the limits set by Landrover to be put back into service, so that's exactly what I did when the slave cylinder failed on my Freelander.

What Brian said is very important though - if you are paying to have the work done then fit the best quality parts you can get.

I fitted a LUK slave cylinder as there was nothing better available at the time - not that I rate them.

Hopefully the next time I do the job the TAZU metal slave cylinder will have proved itself and, if so, I'll fit one of those.

Just checked and have covered 92726 miles since the last clutch change.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 24th November 2016 at 20:43..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 10:25   #9
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I have a National clutch in my car- I am not entirely happy with it - when I have the time/energy, I am going to fit a Borg and Beck.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 12:14   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Why do people try to save money by buying cheapo second rate parts?A friend of mine keeps buying drop links for his Mondeo. When I asked him why he keeps replacing them, he said 'well it is cheaper'. When I pointed out that he had put on four sets on the front, work out how much you spent on those, and then work out how much you would have saved if he had put the o.e. ones on. He told me later that he would have saved £12, and I said' and saved a lot of time in fitting the o.e. ones.