Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 22nd May 2018, 09:50   #1
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Default KV6 Inlet Manifold - Replace, repair, or Land Rover alt?

Hi all,

I've had a bit of a rattle from my V6 since I bought the car, but as it always got a lot less noticeable the more I drove, I've never really got round to fixing it. I asked at my local Rover experts (Summit Garage) while they were doing my cam belts, and they said that as far as they can tell, it was the inlet manifold causing the rattle.

To give a summary of the issues, it comes on around 1,100-1,200 revs, and sounds worst when the car is cold. To me, it sounds more like a vibration than a rattle, and it never goes away, even when the car is warm - it just becomes less noticeable. When you're driving, and you go through 1,100-1,200 revs, you'll hear it start to grind for a split second.

What I'd like to know is, if it is the inlet manifold, what are my options for getting rid of the rattle? What actually goes wrong in them to cause the vibration, and is it possible to repair it, or do I need to try and source a replacement? I'm not phenomenally keen on the idea of shelling out however many hundreds it'll be for a replacement, only to find it doesn't fix the issue either, but unless there's a way I can test it myself, I'm not sure I'm going to have much choice.

My other potential brainwave was about finding an alternative. I know some Land Rovers (and I guess 800s etc) used a KV6, and I seem to remember that the inlet manifold was originally metal, with BMW winning an award for changing it to plastic (imagine winning an award for making something plastic now!). What I was wondering was, if a repair isn't an option, would it be an option to go searching for an old, metal inlet manifold that might last, rather than switching for a plastic one that might give up the ghost again in all of a few thousand miles' time, only to need to be completely replaced all over again?

I've been scratching my head over this for a while, and I think it's finally time to take the plunge and get this sorted, so any advice from the expert forum hivemind would be hugely appreciated!
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:12   #2
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Hi, there are a few options:

1) Replace with second hand unit
2) Get your unit gutted and it becomes an empty shell
3) Get a new one.
4) There is in development an up rated version but no release date.

The internals are made out of plastic and over time brake and cause the rattle of death. The metal version on the Rover 800 is not compatible with our cars.
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:20   #3
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Ian.
I note you are in the midlands, therefore take a look at the meets we have throughout the year the next one being 23rd & 24th June.

Maybe take a run over and I am sure you will get the help you need, you can also have a T4 health check FOC, what you could do is remove the power Vis motor and see the arm inside is free to move forward and backwards, with no side movement.

https://youtu.be/sa5jiUdAfxU

It sound like you may have the manifold rattle starting, once it gets to bad you will certainly know as it will sound like a bag of spanner or bolts being thrown about in the manifold at it's worst.

Link to meets below
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/meets_2014.html

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 13:01   #4
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Thanks guys. I had hoped getting a metal one might be an option - bit disappointed it's not compatible!

Thanks for the tip/video about how to check too - what would I be looking for once I've got it open? It should only move forwards and backwards, but not sideways? I'll have to have a fiddle.
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 19:14   #5
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...ad.php?t=89142