Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2018, 20:26   #1
Redsoxs34

Rover 75 Tourer V6

Default Brake pad sensor

Need some help or advice,have fitted new brake pads today but the brake pad sensor keeps falling out and I don't know what is best to do with it,do I need it fitted to the caliper or can I take it out ,any ideas and help please 👍👍
Redsoxs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 20:44   #2
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxs34 View Post
Need some help or advice,have fitted new brake pads today but the brake pad sensor keeps falling out and I don't know what is best to do with it,do I need it fitted to the caliper or can I take it out ,any ideas and help please 👍👍

You can take it out mate. Either leave it complete and tuck it out of the way or cut it off, strip a bit of the wire sheathing back and join the bare wires to complete the circuit before suitably protecting them. Just remember to check your pads with regularity and you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 21:18   #3
Redsoxs34

Rover 75 Tourer V6

Okay thanks Coups, will do that in the morning, thanks for the help 👍👍
Redsoxs34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 22:26   #4
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Brake pad sensors are for people who do not maintain their vehicle. If you check every six months or there about, you do not need sensors. I have never let my brake pads go to anywhere near the minimum thickness, therefore my sensors are the original ones.
Old 19th May 2018, 09:19   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Brake pad sensors are for people who do not maintain their vehicle. If you check every six months or there about, you do not need sensors. I have never let my brake pads go to anywhere near the minimum thickness, therefore my sensors are the original ones.

There is also a physiological element to it. I would feel that I have botched a job if both sensors were not renewed at the same time as the pads, despite everything on the car being checked regularly. It would niggle me whilst lying in bed trying to get some sleep!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 09:22   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxs34 View Post
There is a little spring clip that holds the sensor in if you want to do the job properly.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 12:17   #7
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

As previously posted, brake pad sensors are a waste of time IMO

They seldom actually work when they’re supposed to As by the time you do need pads the sensors will already have given up.

Take my advice, remove them, cut the wires short of the plug, join them together and refit the sensor.

Checking brake pads is as easy as checking your tyres for wear.

All my cars in the last 15 years have had the sensors looped out with exception to the CLS which is still under manufacturers warranty but it will be interesting to see just how Mercedes fare with the sensors working when they should, only time will tell.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2018, 23:44   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
There is a little spring clip that holds the sensor in if you want to do the job properly.
Or there is a little clip on the plastic wheelarch liner to secure the "never to bother you again" sensor bypass, for people capable of looking through the spokes of the wheel to see how much meat is left on the pads

Never been a fan, never felt the need, and always look through the wheel each time I clean the car, and never suffered a metal to metal malady on any of my fleet.

They are a gimmick, nothing more, and certainly not a major contribution to road safety, unlike Goodyear Grand Prix S

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 06:19   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Or there is a little clip on the plastic wheelarch liner to secure the "never to bother you again" sensor bypass, for people capable of looking through the spokes of the wheel to see how much meat is left on the pads

Never been a fan, never felt the need, and always look through the wheel each time I clean the car, and never suffered a metal to metal malady on any of my fleet.

They are a gimmick, nothing more, and certainly not a major contribution to road safety, unlike Goodyear Grand Prix S

Brian

The fact that so many people ask what the yellow light on their dash has come on for would appear to suggest that for some they are a vital piece of instrumentation!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2018, 06:58   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
Can't say as I have ever let the pads go low enough to wear them out either Bri, but you only have to look at all the polished engine bays at club meets to see that some people like to keep their cars in the same condition as they left the factory - not me of course, but I do like looking at others' efforts.

If our OP is one of those, at least he now has the info to fit the sensors correctly.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote