Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th May 2018, 21:05   #11
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

I have a petrol strimmer, heavy, awkward in a tight space, noisy...fun

macafee2
For even more fun, treat yourself to a 4-stroke petrol strimmer/brushcutter.

Three engine types available in 25cc to 43cc - Stihl 4-Mix, Makita/Robin MM4 and Honda GX25/35. Once you use one, you will never want to go back to a 2-stroke.

Last edited by MSS; 16th May 2018 at 21:09..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 21:10   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundsman Willie View Post
It's Wales, surely there are plenty of sheep to borrow, without having to buy one
Yes - but for purposes other than grass maintenance I believe.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 21:16   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
For even more fun, treat yourself to a 4-stroke petrol strimmer/brushcutter.

Three engine types available in 25cc to 43cc - Stihl 4-Mix, Makita/Robin MM4 and Honda GX25/35. Once you use one, you will never want to go back to a 2-stroke.
I have a Stihl with various attachments, a treat to myself. Never used the brush cutter attachment. Better to buy strimmer and brushcutter unit then just get a strimmer unit as you cant then fit the brushcutter.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 21:19   #14
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
I was talking to the 2 men the other day who told me that a worker had put in a claim when the heavy duty cutter he was using on a similar bank fell over on him. I can't see them having a problem if they just used a strimmer.
I have watched them in the past with the heavy duty,and they make a right mess of it. When it's wet,the cutter just digs into the ground and ruins the look of the banking. I am retired and have nothing to do and all day to it.
I would enjoy looking after it myself,and may be scatter some flower seeds to brighten up the place.
Ah, the silly begger was trying to save himself the effort of strimming by using a machine beyond it's safe limit.
Anyway, that doesn't answer your question, sorry. I think any cheap strimmer would be up to the job, have a look around all your favourite DIY shops and try a few. Imagine the angle of the bank, and wave the strimmer around at the imaginary grass. They're all pretty easy to use on the flat, but some are better balanced when working on an angle.
Old 16th May 2018, 21:51   #15
MGjim
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160+

In one of my many jobs I had the use of one of these.....
http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6808677
Saves all that trailing cord to cut through, maybe an option?
Edit..... alternative grass strimmers are available. ��

Last edited by MGjim; 16th May 2018 at 21:59.. Reason: Additional text
MGjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 22:14   #16
daveycooper
Avid contributor

75 Saloon

If you’re near a Lidl, they have cordless ones in at the minute. Ive had one of these two years now and find it excellent. Nice and light. I have a really big garden and the battery lasts a long time. £40 so gd value too.

Florabest 20V Cordless Grass Trimmer https://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_l...countryCode=GB
daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2018, 07:04   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Electric, only 8ft by 20ft can reach all of it with extension lead.
Thanks for reply, Harry.
The big problem I find with strimmers, is the line feed mechanism. Electric ones are dirt cheap, I saw one yesterday for around £12 new in a local home bargain type store.

I bought a 2T brush cutter / strimmer around ten years ago thinking it would be worthwhile to have. We have a very large garden to deal with, such that I have to use a tractor mower to cut the grass. Over the years I went through hover mowers, cylinder mowers both petrol and electric, none could cope with the job in a sensible amount of time, then I invested in the tractor. The tractor can fly round it easily in 30 minutes, without leaving me hot and bothered. Its speed in getting around, means it uses much less fuel than other mower types.

Getting back to strimmers - I found the 2T unit I had bought clumsy and heavy to use, I sold it on earlier this year. Despite the amount of border which needed strimming around the garden, I found an electric one much easier and quicker. The one we have must be around 30 years old.

I long ago put RCD protected power sockets all round the garden, so no matter where we were working, there was some power not too far away. Remember - any mains taken outdoors, must be protected with an RCD - either one at the mains supply, one built into the socket, or at a pinch - a plug in RCD.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 17th May 2018 at 07:07..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 17:00   #18
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I got a Qualcast 2stroke one, and its fairly light, but it vibrates like hell. So much so that I can only use it on tickover, and just give it some revs when I need to.
Old 21st May 2018, 18:47   #19
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Neighbour has loaned me a cordless, basic model,very slow and tiresome,but no rush. Doing a little at a time. At my age,always leave some to do tomorrow,gives you a reason to wake up in the morning.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote