Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2016, 10:02   #1
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

Default Replacing the driver's door lock mechanism

My ZT has got to the point where the driver's door won't unlock using the remote and has to be opened using the key.

I understand that the remedy for this is to replace a certain part of the mechanism with one taken off a scrapped car.

Does anyone have a step by step how-to for this, and maybe some photos to show what I should be looking for?

Many thanks.

Chris.
__chris__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 10:38   #2
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by __chris__ View Post
My ZT has got to the point where the driver's door won't unlock using the remote and has to be opened using the key.

I understand that the remedy for this is to replace a certain part of the mechanism with one taken off a scrapped car.

Does anyone have a step by step how-to for this, and maybe some photos to show what I should be looking for?

Many thanks.

Chris.
you need to replace the door actuator motor. its a fairly easy job, takes about 10 mins once you know what youre doing!!
you dotn need to take the window out, just undo the top and bottom bolts that hold the window carrier in place and it gives enough room to get the motor out.
i found the hardest bit is lining up the dogbone thing that goes into the handle, but a bit of patience and its simple enough.
just make sure you test it all fully several times before putting the door card back on!!! if it doesnt open once youve swapped it over, try adjusting the white connector block slightly. (all this will make sense once you are in the door!!)
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:10   #3
__chris__
Avid contributor

2003 MG ZT 190+,(2005 Facelift R75 1.8T SE Conny now consigned to be a donor car)

So is this the part I'm looking for?

Ebay link

Work on the 1.8T

New pads &cs all round, Bonnet Catch Reversed, Plenums Cleaned, Renewed Selected Radiator Hoses, New Stainless Steel Twin Exhaust,Metal T-Piece, Head Skimmed and MLS Head Gasket, New Cambelt & Alternator Belt, New PRT & Water Pump, New Air Duct Hose, New Radiator, New plugs, coil packs & HT leads, Golden Radiator Resistor.
Car then blew up and I gave up.
Bought the ZT 190 instead !
Old 15th March 2016, 11:13   #4
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

that is the part.however when talking the old one off the white clip that fits onto the rod unclips so you do not disturb the dog bone plastic clip that fits into the door handle.mark the rod with some paint or nail varnish so you get back in the correct position
Old 15th March 2016, 11:19   #5
__chris__
Avid contributor

Not sure what that means at the moment (!) but will print this off and read it again when I'm doing the job as I'm sure it will start to make sense when I see it all in front of me.

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:26   #6
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

When you remove the door card you'll see the white plastic clip wrapped around a threaded bar. This bar goes up to the 'dog bone' in the outside handle. It's a great tip to unclip the white clip so as not to disturb the 'dog bone'. It's another good tip to mark the position of the white clip to clip it over the threaded bar in the same place.
Edit:- be sure the pop up post rod is firmly in the green plastic holder on the lock before bolting it all back in.

Last edited by Heddy; 15th March 2016 at 11:28.. Reason: More info.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:27   #7
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

the white clip on the threaded rod doesnt have anything to do with the dogbone thing. that goes from the actuator to the bit of the door the key goes into. you have to disconnect this at one and or the other for the actuator to come out.
Old 15th March 2016, 11:33   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

A couple of pics from Stocktake may help.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...35&postcount=7
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:37   #9
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

this guide also covers pretty much what you need to do, its exactly the same for drivers door apart form having to undo the two window retainer bolts, and the key dogbone bar.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=126755