Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th July 2007, 16:49   #1
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

Default Clock icon - any ideas.

A few days again i noticed a little clock icon showing next to the service mileage countdown, looking in the owners manual it says that this shows when the brake fluid needs changing but that was done back in October.
I have rang the dealer where it was serviced but they have no idea why it has come on so they have asked me to take it down so they can put it on the T4,has anybody had this problem or any ideas why the icon is showing.
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 16:58   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall View Post
A few days again i noticed a little clock icon showing next to the service mileage countdown, looking in the owners manual it says that this shows when the brake fluid needs changing but that was done back in October.
I have rang the dealer where it was serviced but they have no idea why it has come on so they have asked me to take it down so they can put it on the T4,has anybody had this problem or any ideas why the icon is showing.
iirc the clock setting is simply an option on the service indicator reset for the brake fluid so a proper reset (by T4 )will sort it.

hth

Mike
Old 25th July 2007, 17:56   #3
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

From the handbook:
The brake fluid requires replacement every two years, irrespective of the distance the car has travelled. Normally, the brake fluid change indicator (the clock icon) on the instrument panel will commence illuminating (for four seconds every time the starter switch is initially turned to the second position) as soon as the two year period has elapsed.....................However, if an impending oil service or inspection falls due within a period of up to 180 days prior to the brake fluid change becoming due, then the indicator will illuminate earlier. This will enable the dealer to combine the brake fluid change with the oil service or inspection........

From elsewhere in the handbook: Brake fluid change is due (clock symbol).

So now you know!

Steve
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 18:03   #4
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

Because of the mileage i was doing my second service was done in Oct 06 the ZTT was registered in Nov 05 so the fluid was changed early because of the mileage, maybe the computer thinks that because its coming up to being 2 years old it needs changing but has not taken the early change in to account.
BTW the countdown service mileage still has 11k to wind down.
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 20:41   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootall View Post
maybe the computer thinks that because its coming up to being 2 years old it needs changing but has not taken the early change in to account.
The computer doesn't know anything about any servicing received (including brake fluid change) unless 'told' so via the T4. That's why most MGR drivers these days have the 'Miles Overdue' showing even though the car was serviced. Their garage didn't/couldn't do the T4 thing. Your garage will be able to remove the clock icon to put things right.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 20:59   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

You can always purchase a reset Tool from EBay for around £22 or read the How To on resetting Mileages etc. using wire or paperclip.
I use the Reset Tool and its so easy, just select what you wish to reset press the Button and its done, its plugged into the OBD2 socket.
Resets service indicator to to the correct mileage to next service.
Any garage with a T4 should do it automatically on a service!
Or if you are in distance of Keith, he has a T4 which will do it and turn On/Off other facilities as you may require at a much better price than a Garage!

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 26th July 2007 at 21:38.. Reason: Spelling
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 21:15   #7
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
iirc the clock setting is simply an option on the service indicator reset for the brake fluid so a proper reset (by T4 )will sort it.

hth

Mike
Thanks for that Mike. I noticed the clock icon on my ZT-T a few days ago, couldn't find reference to it in the handbook and wondered if it had been there all along after all! Obviously not!!

The car's now done 14,250 miles since new (March 05) and with another 11,500 miles showing till the next service, I'm now wondering if I should get the brake fluid changed. Never had to do that on any other car I've had. Is it that important?

Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 21:33   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Every 2 years or 30k miles whichever is sooner.

Have a look at the service schedules so you will know what to expect, Lates has the latest editions which differ very slightly but these are a good guide.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/inde...epage=techdata
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 21:41   #9
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
I'm now wondering if I should get the brake fluid changed. Never had to do that on any other car I've had. Is it that important?

Steve
Its very important to change the Brake fluid when stated, as it absorbs water into the fluid which can in end lead to brake failure.
the Brake fluid would also boil at a much lower temeperature giving problems such as Brake Fade/Failure.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 12:56   #10
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Its very important to change the Brake fluid when stated, as it absorbs water into the fluid which can in end lead to brake failure.
the Brake fluid would also boil at a much lower temeperature giving problems such as Brake Fade/Failure.
Hmmmm! I know that the brake/clutch fluids absorb water in time, but I've never had to change the fluids that regularly! Still, I'd better get it done as I intend to keep my ZT-T until it falls apart terminally....or the diesel dries up permanently, whichever is the sooner!

I'll check with the ex MGR garage who did the service to see if they had done it at that time. Any ideas of a ball park figure to have the fluids drained, changed and the counter reset?

Thanks, Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote