Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2007, 23:22   #11
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Andy just to wet your appetite
Let me know what quotes you get for 17 year olds. Cheers

Pre face lift ZR TD:

Face lift ZR TD:

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 10:04   #12
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

For those history buffs out there.

L series was a development of the Prima developed by Perkins Engines of Peterborough for the Montego and Maestro. Nominally of 2 litre displacement and 8 valve, it was built in normally aspirated (Maestro Van) and Turbocharged form for the cars. This was the first in house car intended diesel engine for use in ARG/Rover cars (although some Italian VM diesels were fitted to some SD1s, mainly for export). Regarded as a sound if somewhat noisey unit that was quite highly regarded.

Was going to be used in the diesel versions of the R8 (the 218 and 418) but was regarded as too noisey for the type of owners they were aspiring to, so the PSA (Peugeot) XUD engine was fitted to the R8 instead, which I believe performed no better but was quieter.

The L series was fitted to the R3 type car originally known as the 200 and the HH (the 400, later facelifted to the 45), the 600 and the 100 (Metro) and was being developed into a common rail and 16 valve version that was to have replaced the L series in the 25/ZR 45/ZS and the M47R (BMW) in the 75/ZT for 2006 model year. This was to be known as the G series and was very close to production ready at the time of the closedown.

Last edited by EnEnGee; 18th July 2007 at 10:10..
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 10:39   #13
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Well I have had a 420 and a 620 Diesel and they give very good MPG, are not slow, but can be a bit noisy. I did not have any problems (I have a 620SLDi for shopping now)
I had a 620SLDi before getting my 75 CDT. I had it much fettled, with rechip and uprated intercooler, and it was indeed very nippy. The engine did have a reputation for being noisy but I did some tests comparing it with a friend's Audi diesel engine of the same vintage and discovered there was no real difference in noise levels of the engine as such. The difference was in the amount and quality of soundproofing used. "Spoil the ship for a ha’p’orth of tar" could almost have been the company motto for Rover for a while, as if they hadn't skimped on the soundproofing the car would have had a much better reputation. I added some proper soundproofing which dramatically reduced the amount of noise in the cabin.

The 75's engine, being common rail, is inherently quieter, but also MG Rover seem to have learned their lesson and given the 75 much better soundproofing.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 12:56   #14
r44712
Loves to post

ZT-T+ 135 & ZR+ 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
No sorry, all the Rovers other than 75 were running the Rover L series Diesel 2 Litre engine.
The early 90's 200s and 400s used PSA (Peugeot) units.

It was only the later 200s,400s and 600s that were L-Series.
r44712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 13:07   #15
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

The L series guys on the other forum are getting close to reaching 200BHP!!

There's a race to see who gets there first.

The key to big power is a set of modified injectors from wingy777 and a hybrid turbo will be needed to get to 200. (Without the modded injectors, the Vp30 pump cannot flow enough fuel at the required pressure.)

Wingy777 has seen 183bhp in his 25 on a standard turbo and with a torque curve as flat as a petrol motors to over 4k rpm - never seen one as flat on a diesel!

Of course the reliability of the engine, clutch, and transmission won't be brilliant, but you'd expect that with double the power and about 45% more torque. Even so, the fact that the trusty old L series can produce this sort of power without instant mechanical suicide is impressive.

Ron
Old 18th July 2007, 15:02   #16
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

I've had 7 Rover 200/25 diesels since 1998 and my first 220 SDi was fantastic and I sometimes wish that I'd never got rid of it, it was quiet quick and totally reliable! The only reason it went was because I had a company car from MGR.

If you're going to get a 25 diesel, I strongly suggest getting one from around the 2002/3 period as after that they started to go down hill rapidly in terms of refinement.

I've just got rid of my 05 plate 25 diesel and replaced it with a Freelander for my wife and I have to say that I was not sorry to see it go.

I'm actually quite ashamed of the last 12 to 18 months of production of the 25 diesel and I'm ashamed to have been part of it as it was so noisy compared to the older ones, the engine mounts were shockingly bad (Chineses) the NVH package was taken out and replaced with Swiss Cheese!

The more I drove it towards the end of it's time in our house hold, the more and more annoyed I was getting to think that we let the car out of the factory in the state that it was in and I'm glad that we started the process to sort it out and put the refinement back in, but alas we closed so it never happened - so in a nutshell, on behalf of the idiots at the top of the MG Rover management structure who totally destroyed any bit of refinements and credibility the last few months of 25 production had to endure, I apologise for it !!!!!

However, don't let that out you off and older version. I've covered well over 250,000 miles in L series engined cars and they've never missed a beat in any configuration. An early ish 25 diesel will be fantastic and if you can find and early MG diesel, even better! It will be more refined, comfortable.

Nic

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 15:31   #17
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
However, don't let that out you off and older version. I've covered well over 250,000 miles in L series engined cars and they've never missed a beat in any configuration. An early ish 25 diesel will be fantastic and if you can find and early MG diesel, even better! It will be more refined, comfortable.

Nic
This 420gsdi is 9 years old and its new owners is over the moon with it. Its looks like new and has a full leather interior.
He's fitted one of my Tu1 tuning modules & BMW air filter, a wingy777 decat and had the boost turned up to 16psi so he's equally amazed at how well it goes.

The 400s had a better ride than the first 45s at the expense of body roll, but the roadholding was superb - they just clung on the road, whilst the driver clung onto the steering wheel!

I almost wish I had this particualr car - especially as now that there is no duty payable on veg oil, (if you use < than 2500L/year), the L series;s pump will happily cope with it.

Ron
Old 18th July 2007, 15:39   #18
Rincewind
Loves to post

MINI Cooper S Works (Superchardged not Turbo!)

I used to sell the early 400's and loved their ability and refinement but as they say, all good things come to an end!!!!! Wish I'd kept my 96 220 SDi. Hey ho.

Ron, I popped you a PM on .org have you had any thoughts?

Nic

The difference is, when you shout, "Where's my clean socks?", no-one answers

MGR stories, MGR help and advice all available at no extra cost !

The Two Sixties - it's a V8 thing ... Honorary Member and Puddle of V8/4/6cyl Knowledge et al.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Come see who I work for at www.vca.gov.uk without us, the world would be a right mess!
Rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 18:04   #19
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Couldn't agree more Rincewind.
It must have been very frustrating producing a product with less & less quality as time went on. And you certainly notice it selling the various Rover MG product.

We still have a 96 620 SDi in the family which will be driven into the ground

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 18:26   #20
Departed
Retired

--

A few comments on the useage:

original 200/400 (same car without / with boot) version used PSA engines. a 1.9 non turbo or a 1.8 turbo, but both known as x18.

bubble 200, and same age 400 used L series 2 litre. Really good engine. Two versions of injection system giving different power / torque. In the earlier models known as SD and SDi to show the difference (plus L versions etc) Had several 200/400s, including a 420SDi that I put 12k on from almost new. Most reliable car I ever had.

Metro / 100 only ever had the 1.4 PSA engine as far as I know. L series would have been a bit big / heavy. Mind you, it would have shifted!!!

I think the later versions of 400 tourer got L series at the same time as they got the later 400 interior.

SD1s had VM diesel, but so did the 800. Basically the same engine, and also used in Range Rovers amongst other things. L series was never fitted to these. Worked on these as a trainee at Canley!

First diesel from BMW was in the 75 (not counting 38a Range Rover) and as far as I know, L series was in the 25/45 until death. L series was also used in the Honda versions of the 400!

Last edited by Departed; 19th July 2007 at 06:54.. Reason: added 400 tourer and metro
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote