Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2007, 12:53   #1
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Default Mk 1 front mud flap clips

I dislodged one of the plastic / metal 'U' clips that help secure the front mud flaps, by clipping an island in a petrol station, I have the old clip, which appears to be a two piece affair with some sort of ratchet mechanism holding the two halves together, my question is, are these clips a 'one use' item or can they be dismantled and then re-assembled on the car - I can't see an obvious way of releasing the ratchet and splitting the 'U' clip into two so it can be re-fitted to the vehicle?

Steve
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 19:19   #2
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Yes, I've removed them to do a respray. They'll come out with a bit of wiggling from side to side. With the clip still on the car, I was able to exert plenty of leverage using a screwdriver. Maybe that would be difficult in your case.

I did try undoing the clip before fitting, though didn't push it all the way in. I think I was able to squeeze the inner jaws or prise the outer - don't recall which.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 20:11   #3
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Thanks for the info. I cleaned the clip and managed to clear all the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out of the internal parts of the clip, once cleaned, I was able to put a pair of thin nosed pliers between the inner surfaces of the clip, by forcing the pliers open, this in turn forced the clip open, in effect, it overpowered the interlocking pawls on the two parts of the clip, a quick clean up and the clip was re-fitted to the car with no problems,

Steve
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 21:01   #4
Cuda-uk
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
Thanks for the info. I cleaned the clip and managed to clear all the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out of the internal parts of the clip, once cleaned, I was able to put a pair of thin nosed pliers between the inner surfaces of the clip, by forcing the pliers open, this in turn forced the clip open, in effect, it overpowered the interlocking pawls on the two parts of the clip, a quick clean up and the clip was re-fitted to the car with no problems,

Steve

Thats how I got mine apart after experimenting how they went together before I fitted them
Cuda-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 13:31   #5
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Does anyone know if these are available separate from the mudflap? I've lost on & I don't want to go to the expense of buying a complete mudflap kit for the sake of one clip.