Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2011, 10:21   #1
kingdave

rover 75 saloon

Default head gasket problem

seems like ive blown my head gasket on my 1.8 petrol 75
just wondering about a temporary fix k seal . when i put it in
the cooling system it cant circulate because of air lock or gases
escaping into system. have tried bleeding throuugh bleeding
screw but once i tighten it up again the system airlocks again
can any one please help.
kingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:35   #2
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdave View Post
can any one please help.
Sorry to hear of your problem, K-seal is featured in a recent thread and may well be worth you taking a look here: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=95882
Chips
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:38   #3
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdave View Post
can any one please help.
the system on the 1800 is hard to get all the air out with a manual bled ,members on here recommend bleeding the system with a pela pump, are you running the car when bleeding it ? if not you need to run the car with heater set to high and full blast fan .. you may need to top up a few times as you do it and as i had to blow in the header tank , yes k-seal would be a temp fix although its not as good as steel seal ,your best having the hgf repaired as a more perminent fix ..
http://www.mobilelandroverservices.co.uk/
this guy called jason is really good if you need a mobile mechanic .you say it cant circulate ,this may well be down to the water pump , do a compression test to see if you have good compression if you have then it may just be the water pump gone thus no circulation

Last edited by chrissyboy; 1st November 2011 at 11:13..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:38   #4
Rov5
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Cylinder head Gasket

You need to do a pressure check on the cooling system to determine if it is the gasket,and if it is it is unlikely that you will be able to do a temporary fix with k seal. The old gasket on the K series engines is an absolute joke,hence the reason they fail prematurely.
Rov5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 12:39   #5
EDDYW
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 saloon. Jag X300 4L, XJ8 3.2 v8, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4l petrol + LPG

Hi.
Can I try to settle some myths about some coolant system products
If you read the other posts about HGF including mine and others experience using [COLOR="Red"]K-Seal.
K-seal( and some others )contains a silica based substance, silica + heat = glass, (very basically)
When the silica gets to the extreme heat from the explosion in the cylinders it turns to glass and sticks to the wall of the hole this keeps happening untill the leak is plugged.
The largest particles in k seal are no bigger than 1mm and most are much smaller, the heater matrix uses channels well over 1mm and comes nowhere near the heat required to turn it solid this means " it alone" can not block the system. (it requires great heat) .
Other stuff that stops leaks like C-lit have vastly larger particles and do not require high heat to do their job, This type of stuff can cause problems and often will. But only if there is a narrowing problem already
One thing that must be said is that any of this type of product is a STOP-GAP intended to get you out of trouble in an emergency and not a permanent fix .
If I am totally wrong I apologise for my ignorance and no doubt someone will correct my errors.
EDDYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:11   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYW View Post
Hi.
Can I try to settle some myths about some coolant system products
If you read the other posts about HGF including mine and others experience using [COLOR="Red"]K-Seal.
K-seal( and some others )contains a silica based substance, silica + heat = glass, (very basically)
When the silica gets to the extreme heat from the explosion in the cylinders it turns to glass and sticks to the wall of the hole this keeps happening untill the leak is plugged.
The largest particles in k seal are no bigger than 1mm and most are much smaller, the heater matrix uses channels well over 1mm and comes nowhere near the heat required to turn it solid this means " it alone" can not block the system. (it requires great heat) .
Other stuff that stops leaks like C-lit have vastly larger particles and do not require high heat to do their job, This type of stuff can cause problems and often will. But only if there is a narrowing problem already
One thing that must be said is that any of this type of product is a STOP-GAP intended to get you out of trouble in an emergency and not a permanent fix .
If I am totally wrong I apologise for my ignorance and no doubt someone will correct my errors.
Glass, or most common silica compounds tend to melt at temperatures approaching 1600 deg celcius, so I don't think that's how K-seal operates
Is it not some sort of copper type substance?, I don't know because I wouldn't use it, even if I was paid
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:35   #7
EDDYW
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 saloon. Jag X300 4L, XJ8 3.2 v8, Jeep Grand Cherokee 4l petrol + LPG

Hiya,
I didn,t explain the chemical process in its entirety because. 1/ I don't know it and 2/ I wouldn,t understand most of it myself anyway. I did mention "very basicaly" But the silica melts sticks to the copper and the copper then ! Blah blah blah,. Anyway it works and did work for me and has not bunged up the heater matrix, it kept me mobile for the sake of £10 for another month, that meant "I got paid".

Last edited by EDDYW; 1st November 2011 at 16:38..
Old 1st November 2011, 17:46   #8
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDYW View Post
Hiya,
I didn,t explain the chemical process in its entirety because. 1/ I don't know it and 2/ I wouldn,t understand most of it myself anyway. I did mention "very basicaly" But the silica melts sticks to the copper and the copper then ! Blah blah blah,. Anyway it works and did work for me and has not bunged up the heater matrix, it kept me mobile for the sake of £10 for another month, that meant "I got paid".
would also depend on where the head gasket blew or made it blow,and it the car was driving far after over heating .itthe head or block is cracked then it wont work ,well not for long anyway .
Old 1st November 2011, 18:03   #9
EDDYW
Loves to post

I also mentioned " stop-gap", again it's about the old wives tale of "it blocked my heater matrix". This would only happen if there was a hardening of the arteries (so to speak) in the matrix, or in other words it was already almost blocked.