Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > All Other Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th May 2008, 13:21   #11
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Sorry I mean Alex's thread upon which Raistlin commented - wish I knew how to add hyperlinks!
Et voila! One hyperlink: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...t.php?p=185482
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 15:33   #12
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Not quite in the dash I know, but this is what I did

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=13812

post#5
baxlin where did you wire it from.please

Last edited by Simon; 15th May 2008 at 16:23.. Reason: Sorted quote tags
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 16:11   #13
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Not quite in the dash I know, but this is what I did

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=13812

post#5
baxlin where did you wire it from.please
Hard wire from the passenger footwell fusebox, I forget which fuse, but it's ignition controlled. No other dismantling needed, the wire pushes in between panels, & over/behind the "eyebrow" IIRC. The red tape-wrapped bit is an "in-line" ciggy lighter type socket I picked up years ago, and subsquently stood on, hence the tape..........

HTH

Malcolm

Last edited by Simon; 15th May 2008 at 16:23.. Reason: Sorted quote tags
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 18:26   #14
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
My solution would work for any size sat nav:

One cheap aftermarket adaptor (single din). Use this to mark outer profile exactly on cartridge or lining paper and cut out outer shape using scissors

Use framesaw to cut central hole in adaptor roughly to size and mount unit behind in adaptor in car

Overlay cartridge paper. Use brass-rubbing (like I did) or wallpaper technique (diagonal cut with Stanley knife) to cut central hole ACCURATELY.

Use cartridge paper to accurately mark and cut aluminium sheet (0.5mm) to required shape. Outer profile can be cut using wifes best dressmaking scissors (important safety note: wait until wife has gone for weekly shop first). Inner hole is best cut with a Stanley knife.

Glue Al sheet over fascia and bingo - one accurate fascia with the hole in the right place and right size.

Then glue oversize sheet of walnut veneer over aluminium, trim with scalpel and then finish sheet per usual technique. I think that Al sheet is easier to fix over than using plastic padding to fill the unwanted hole

Results per my pics on Raistlins thread.

Sorry I mean Alex's thread upon which Raistlin commented - wish I knew how to add hyperlinks!
This sounds like it could be a winner for me, i missed the original post so will give this a go, just a few questions:

Where can you get the ali sheet from ?

What glue did you use to fix it to the fascia ?

Did the walnut final cover come from the Walnut Dash Co

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 04:54   #15
MikeC

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor View Post
This sounds like it could be a winner for me, i missed the original post so will give this a go, just a few questions:

Where can you get the ali sheet from ?

What glue did you use to fix it to the fascia ?

Did the walnut final cover come from the Walnut Dash Co
1) Al sheet from most DIY stores. Ive bought previously from B&Q and Homebase
2) I used araldite because I had it, pretty much anything for impervious materials would probably do, you want to be able to move the Al around after you 'touch down' so dont use superglue. Bending the Al into a curve to roughly match the profile before gluing the fascia helps
3) For the veneer I used a contact adhesive on both surfaces because I didnt want any bubbles or separation and it is difficult to hold the veneer on the curved surface while the glue sets
4) The veneer was real wood from 'Vale Veneers' off internet and I cut an oversized piece so I didnt need to be accurate when I stuck it down. I should of smoothed it with a fine grade (P1000) sandpaper before varnishing but made the mistake of thinking it was smooth so ended up doing it afterwards, which took longer because the paper kept blinding with varnish. This step takes a long time (because of drying) but doesnt take you a long time (if you see what I mean). You can sandpaper between coats and wax the final if you dont make the mistake I made and select a varnish which is wax soluble! As I said, next time - - -
5) I have only bought pre-shaped walnut effect plastic from the walnut dash company, but if they do what you need by all means - - -

Regards
MikeC
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 21:59   #16
trebor
This is my second home

thanks Mike, will be attempting this tomorrow and will report back on progress.

Robs Car Gallery

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
Old 24th September 2008, 20:00   #17
MikeC

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Better the second time!

Well I guess that tommorrow never came!

I finally got round to trying it a second time (and connecting the speedo and reverse wires from the Ipak).

Much happier with the finish on the double-din adaptor and now the speedo is connected the Satnav doesnt jump every time the windscreen wiper sweeps past the GPS sensor (a quirk I didnt immediately notice or anticipate)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ddin2s.jpg (132.8 KB, 57 views)
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2008, 20:31   #18
trebor
This is my second home

Quote:
Well I guess that tommorrow never came!

I finally got round to trying it a second time (and connecting the speedo and reverse wires from the Ipak).

Much happier with the finish on the double-din adaptor and now the speedo is connected the Satnav doesnt jump every time the windscreen wiper sweeps past the GPS sensor (a quirk I didnt immediately notice or anticipate)
Looking good Mike, tomorow did come but in the end it was not good enough for my standards, mine was single din so bought the cheap facia off e bay for a fiver, extended the hole to take my sat nav and fabricated a thin piece of aluminium over the whole thing. I then bought some veneer from Vale Veneers but wasnt expecting the crinkly wafer thin piece of bark that turned up in the post, and a bit beyond my capabilities to make it look good.

I then went down the walnut dash company route and covered the facia with a specially made piece which i cut out and they finished off with the doming process.

It looked ok but i was not 100% happy with the fit of the facia or the colour of the shade of walnut, so in the end i put my car back to how it was. I did contact the walnut dash who promised to work on a different shade for me and i sent a sample of Rover walnut off to them. I still await a reply but to be fair the owner of the business was in hospital and his wife was keeping things going so it may be a while.

I still have the fabricated facia so may reinstall it at some point, but what i really want is a double din affair with one of the latest units that has satnav, bluetooth, dvd, i pod radio etc.

Robs Car Gallery