Notices

Old 8th December 2010, 05:34   #21
sratansi
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl View Post
never understood who bought a new phaton the price silly
so true! why pay something silly like 60k for a car that depreciates soo mich so quickly, i would rather go for an a8 7 series or s class for that kinda money

Missing that Rover 75 feeling..
Rover 75 CDTI Auto Connie 55 plate - Gone now..

BMW 325 E92 written off

Maybe one final flirt with a MG ZT
sratansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 07:10   #22
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by sratansi View Post
so true! why pay something silly like 60k for a car that depreciates soo mich so quickly, i would rather go for an a8 7 series or s class for that kinda money
I take it you haven't seen the residuals of an S-Class recently?

£6,750 gets you a 2004 S500... was probably knocking on 80k at launch if not a lot more.

The same goes for the A8 - running costs are high (they are tailored to someone who can drop £80k on a car...), cars are full of electrical items which can be very expensive to fix, and who wants one? A lot are leased, too (got to have the latest one every 3 years...)

Having said that, the Phaeton was the same sort of level as the A8 / Continental GT, but with a VW badge at the front... and it's borne the brunt of that - i'd love one, but I just couldn't stomach low 30's from a diesel.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 16:46   #23
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Ive nothing but praise for them.

I had the pleasure of driving my companys board of directors golf clubs (yes, golf clubs) in the directors old Phaeton on a round trip of 800 odd miles using the V6 diesel.

Wonderful to drive, but typically german interior which is wonderfully efficent and effective, dull as dishwater compared to the 75 range.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 21:37   #24
carl
Posted a thing or two

MG ZS 180, MGF 75th Aniversary and Kirsts ZT CDTi 135+, MG ZT-T CDTi

but a very comfy dull as ditch water lol
Old 9th December 2010, 08:52   #25
baconbuttyman
Banned

The pheaton came out around 2002-3, when we bought our Passat, we looked these over a lot, out of envy not to purchase, they are based on the Audi A8, didnt really take off, the VW dealer said they were a white elephant to the company, no one wanted to stock them. the model shape was passed to Skoda for the superb (new shape).
Its a very well built car, personally i would go for the Superb or the A8, But if you are set on the VW then you cant go wrong
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 09:02   #26
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
The pheaton came out around 2002-3, when we bought our Passat, we looked these over a lot, out of envy not to purchase, they are based on the Audi A8, didnt really take off, the VW dealer said they were a white elephant to the company, no one wanted to stock them. the model shape was passed to Skoda for the superb (new shape).
Its a very well built car, personally i would go for the Superb or the A8, But if you are set on the VW then you cant go wrong
The Superb and Phaeton are in *totally* different leagues.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 13:00   #27
Paulifa1
Loves to post

75 launch car

Baconbuttyman,

Have to correct you there, the Pheaton isn't based at all on the A8, and the superb isn't based on the Pheaton!!

The A8 build is a riveted and seam welded aluminium spaceframe clad with aluminium outer panels, (I've owned and worked on 2), whereas the Pheaton is a traditional monocoque pressed and spot welded sheet steel body, totally different. It does share the floorpan and running gear with a Bentley model. Also A8 & Pheaton share drivetrain kit.

The current superb is too small to be based on the Pheaton floorpan, (although it doesn't look it due to styling, the Phaeton is a huge car!)
I don't know what it is based on, but I would suspect it shares with A4/A6/Passat architecture.

I drove a Pheaton for 3 months and the quality is beyond anything I've ever experienced, including my old A8's
Paulifa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 14:02   #28
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulifa1 View Post
Baconbuttyman,

I drove a Pheaton for 3 months and the quality is beyond anything I've ever experienced, including my old A8's
JC thinks so as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pP-1jzh_yU

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 19:37   #29
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulifa1 View Post
Baconbuttyman,

Have to correct you there, the Pheaton isn't based at all on the A8, and the superb isn't based on the Pheaton!!

The A8 build is a riveted and seam welded aluminium spaceframe clad with aluminium outer panels, (I've owned and worked on 2), whereas the Pheaton is a traditional monocoque pressed and spot welded sheet steel body, totally different. It does share the floorpan and running gear with a Bentley model. Also A8 & Pheaton share drivetrain kit.

The current superb is too small to be based on the Pheaton floorpan, (although it doesn't look it due to styling, the Phaeton is a huge car!)
I don't know what it is based on, but I would suspect it shares with A4/A6/Passat architecture.

Ah i must be getting mixed up with the passat then, am sure the sales man said the phaeton and the superb, but looking again the superb is very similar to the passat
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 19:43   #30
CoOkIeMoNsTeR
Gets stuck in

No job = No Car :(

If you are considering a Pheaton, surely you would look at the A8 4.0TDi (Awesome) 7 series BM (More prestige then the VeeDub, but weakly diesel) Jag XJ (Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!) and S class (Lovely car, but built like a Mercedes-Badly!). All 02 to 04 cars floating around at £7-10k My money would go on an 03 Range Rover, but then, my blood is green and runs through oval shaped vains

He who laughs last thinks slowest!

The CookieMonster fleet:-
No car anymore unless you can give me a job
I used to own a VW, but I don't like to talk about it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
CoOkIeMoNsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote