Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd January 2023, 16:02   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Front spot lights - automatically on?

Because the standard 75 headlights are so poor I usually run with the front spot/fog lights on. However, finding the correct switch in the dark is a pain, usually accidently turn on the rear fogs or alter the dash illumination intensity.
Is it possible using a T4 to set it so the front spot lights come on automatically with the dipped headlights? If done is it legal and still acceptable for the mot?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:05   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Because the standard 75 headlights are so poor I usually run with the front spot/fog lights on. However, finding the correct switch in the dark is a pain, usually accidently turn on the rear fogs or alter the dash illumination intensity.
Is it possible using a T4 to set it so the front spot lights come on automatically with the dipped headlights? If done is it legal and still acceptable for the mot?
From memory front fog lights should only be on if visibility is less than 100 metres
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:07   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
rule 236 highway code

You will be pulled. Check the lights are ok, clean and reflectors are in good condition, especially the height setting.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:12   #4
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Please be aware that the front ( and rear for that matter) spot lights, are in fact fog lights to be used only in situations where fog is reducing visibility, see Highway Code for more details, therefore they must not be used for other purposes, as they may dazzle oncoming trafic, and as such attract a fine if the police should stop you.
As to the R75's poor lights, that is not generally a problem and if so in your case then please investigate and upgrade the bulbs to suit, there are many posts herein so please carry out a search.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:32   #5
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Please be aware that the front ( and rear for that matter) spot lights, are in fact fog lights to be used only in situations where fog is reducing visibility, see Highway Code for more details, therefore they must not be used for other purposes, as they may dazzle oncoming trafic, and as such attract a fine if the police should stop you.
As to the R75's poor lights, that is not generally a problem and if so in your case then please investigate and upgrade the bulbs to suit, there are many posts herein so please carry out a search.

Thank you all for the advice.

Couple of points -
I don't see dazzle as an issue as they point down, and most importantly illuminate the nearside verge on rural roads.
So many cars are seen driving with extra front lights on, whether spot or fog; I think getting stopped for it is highly unlikely but will bear the advice in mind.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 16:36   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:

Do Rover 75 front fog lights dazzle on coming drivers? I would not expect their beam to be so high. I would have thought the beam would be quite low so as not to light up the fog and reduce visibility and so on a clear night I'd have thought no problem. My fog lights do not shine very far up the road, could not use them at speed.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 18:29   #7
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Mine are yellow 💛 as an aside, I wired mine to a drl kit to come on with ignition. A police lady very kindly stopped me and told me, quite nicely, to get them off 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2023, 15:14   #8
PetrolFeet
Regular poster

rover 75 kv6

Obvious, but I'll say it anyway,
Do you have plastic or glass headlamp covers?
The plastic ones absorb more light than the glass, and a very deep polish will improve matters (but maybe not 100%).
Check your beam pattern, if a bulb or reflector is amiss the light pattern will be affected.
Also, make sure the lights are angled upwards, check the alignment thumbwheel, you may have the headlamps set down (good for towing caravans, useless at all other times) so make sure is set to zero.

I have a R75 with standard lamps (twin spots) and I think they are good lights. Look to get your standard lights working at their best first.
PetrolFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2023, 15:24   #9
PetrolFeet
Regular poster

rover 75 kv6

If that doesn't work you can fit 2 relays, one that turns on via a feed from the dipped beams, and another to turn it off via the full beams, all fed from a FUSED supply from the fuse box.
Someone on here will even be able to tell you if your car has a spare fuse holder already in the box you can use (I personally have no idea).
Don't try it without a relay as the standard wiring can't be made to power both lights.
PetrolFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2023, 16:06   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
And the last time you ever heard that someone was stopped and fined for driving with fog lights on when it was not foggy?