Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2007, 16:23   #1
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Default T4 Upgrade - Didn't work?

Good evening chaps,

Had some work done last week at the MGOC at Swavesey, near Cambridge. I asked for a TU4 upgrade, so the doors would close upon drive-off. The function didn't operate when I left the premises (having presumed they had road tested the car) and as it was late when they finished, I went back in again yesterday, believing in the rush, they may have forgotten to do the job in the first place anyway!

However when they connected, the car's ECU to the laptop, it apparently showed the function was turned on. Following numerous abortive attempts, including 'two restarts of the system' - it still didn't take. I was advised 'it might start on it's own' - so far this hopeful suggestion has not crystallised?

I couldn't help thinking the originator of the comment was unsure of just what was going on, and I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and if it's easily solved?

Last edited by Martin75; 24th November 2007 at 17:36..
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 18:02   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

How odd

Trust me you don't want it, the implementation is not good on the 75
I tried it on mine and very quickly plugged in my Testbook and turned it off again.
The silly system also works in reverse as well as forward so by the time you have reversed out of the garage or drive all the doors are locked

It only operates once per ignition cycle so after unlocking the doors on the button to let your locked out passengers in it won't lock again!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2007, 19:35   #3
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
How odd

Trust me you don't want it, the implementation is not good on the 75
I tried it on mine and very quickly plugged in my Testbook and turned it off again.
The silly system also works in reverse as well as forward so by the time you have reversed out of the garage or drive all the doors are locked

It only operates once per ignition cycle so after unlocking the doors on the button to let your locked out passengers in it won't lock again!
Well it sounds a favour has been bestowed upon me by default. What a weird set up and presumably nothing to do with BMW who seem (as you'd expect) to be very logical.

Thanks Keith I'll stay where I am ...

Martin
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 10:10   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin75 View Post
Well it sounds a favour has been bestowed upon me by default. What a weird set up and presumably nothing to do with BMW who seem (as you'd expect) to be very logical.

Thanks Keith I'll stay where I am ...

Martin
The speed locking IMV is a very useful function in that it is used as a protection against hi-jacking of your car at a traffic lights or similar. (Not that unusual in some areas). Especially useful for lone female drivers.
It operates correctly on my car and is one of the few functions actually on by default. It does not on my car operate in reverse only in a forward gear and at approximately 2.5 MPH.
I cannot offer any reason why it does not function on your car Martin but if you are happy without it then that is fair enough.

Edit:- Just checked operation in reverse gear, doors do lock but only at a speed I have never had to reversed at. Around 8-10 MPH at a guess.

Last edited by GreyGhost; 26th November 2007 at 15:13..
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 10:26   #5
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

Mine works in reverse as well as forward gears and I like it. Only I have to remember to press the unlock button when we arrive anywhere as SWMBO still moans when she has to pull the handle twice.
The thing I did get switched off on T4 was the single door opening. I found it such a pain to have to press the button twice to open all the doors.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 10:43   #6
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by collit View Post
The thing I did get switched off on T4 was the single door opening. I found it such a pain to have to press the button twice to open all the doors.
Again a security device which I appreciate. Perhaps I am just paranoid?
99 times out of a 100 it is only me in the car so I can be as selfish as I want.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 10:47   #7
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

It can indeed be a Pain,
but believe me you would be thankful of it working if it is your Good Lady out in the car at night.
Doreen had someone get in the back of car (a drunk) outside a Pub, (not the 75) who thought she was the Taxi, which she had to pull up behind as it was blocking the Road.
These things can happen so easy.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 11:03   #8
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

They would have to be a very brave drunk to mess with my wife. She's 6'2" tall and not to be messed with.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 13:57   #9
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Quote:
Originally Posted by collit View Post
Mine works in reverse as well as forward gears and I like it. Only I have to remember to press the unlock button when we arrive anywhere as SWMBO still moans when she has to pull the handle twice.
Ditto.

As one who had his belts done at the MGOC w/s, I can say Ian, the w/s manager, is a good chap, but I suspect that having only come into Approved status not long before MG Rover closed, they won't have the depth of experience plus the majority of their work will be either on classic or on the MEMS on the MGF and MG TF. I think Roger Parker is quite clued up but few of them will have indepth T4 experience like a normal dealership dealing with only new cars.

That said, I have found Ian very helpful and willing to go the extra mile on servicing. When my cam seals kept falling out he also went to a good deal of effort to ensure I got sorted and was pleased to hear via my feedback that it was a fault that was known on this forum. In his defence he probably doesn't have the time to trawl the forums to stay up to date. I take the attitude that even for an approved service I need to be aware of the potential problems and do my own trouble shooting before going into a garage - that way I don't get told porkies and fed a line after the sucking of teeth!
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 15:59   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Weird

Maybe with later revisions of the BCU firmware they removed the rather odd works in reverse behaviour, I could live with it if it wasn't for that.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote