Closed Thread

Old 4th August 2018, 11:34   #91
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
That is the Daily Mail however, very Brexit I believe.

Yes, it is! And we all know the DM direction of travel. That’s why I included the link to the journalist. He is widely experienced in international finance, economics and business and with no advertised particular leanings or previous hyperbole.

It’s also why I followed with the next post and link to an organisation that, given its members and their associations, one might think they would be in the remain camp. A balance is required and direct and accurate attribution is vital.

So to conclude: the links show professional learned opinion from what you might expect to be from the remain side and are from reputable sources. They might not be my own view but then again they might. A narrow perspective can only limit the view!
Old 4th August 2018, 13:24   #92
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
You are correct. In June the Daily Mail appointed a new editor Paul Dacre, an Etonian and pro remainer. Maybe the pro Brexit stance will change and he could become more sympathetic to labour, but needs to do something to improve the mails readership, mostly in the 65+ age group to a wider audience. The Daily Mails owners the Rothermere’s live mostly in France and are said to take a liberal attitude to Brexit. Living in France, Brexit won’t affect them much.

More from project fear with the rise in interest rates and Carney saying its highly likely that Britain will leave the EU without having made a deal.....

And what of it!

If we have no deal, than neither does the EU. Wonder where they'll stack all of the goods we buy from them. I strongly suspect that that there is not enough slack in the respective markets to take up the excess.

I'm surprised we haven't been told of power cuts as well as food and medical shortages; I mean we buy all of electricity from abroad don't you know? Well according to some contributors on various other sites I visit.

We shall see what the dawn of the 30th of March shall bring?

To misquote Shakespeare:

Barnier, Tusk, Junker, Macron and Merkel should be aware of the Ides of March and the death of the EU.

Some may find this of interest:

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/history_en
Old 4th August 2018, 16:31   #93
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

If "we buy all of electricity from abroad don't you know?" is meant to be ironic, it may interest you to know that in Northern Ireland there is an all-island electricity market, which is one of the things that is threatened by a no-deal Brexit. The contingency plans are, um, interesting ...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-37108625.html

Government officials fear thousands of electricity generators may need to be requisitioned from the Army and put on barges in the Irish Sea to keep Northern Ireland's lights on in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit.

A document drawn up by officials said the plan would see equipment commandeered from the military and flown back from Nato-led operations in countries such as Afghanistan, according to a report in the Financial Times.
The 'worst-case scenario' is part of a private Government paper outlining negative consequences of the UK leaving the European Union without any deal.
Northern Ireland and the Republic share a single energy market but UK officials fear leaving the EU without an exit deal would lead to energy providers in the south cutting off power to the north because Britain would no longer be part of Europe's electricity market.
To avoid blackouts, the outlandish plan would see thousands of generators taken from the military. One official told the FT that the idea of electricity barges in the Irish Sea was one of the most "gob-smacking" elements of the contingency planning.
"I can't believe this hasn't really been noticed by the wider world," he told the newspaper.
A Government source also told the paper: "We are working hard on a solution.
"We have made good progress on this and a n
Government officials fear thousands of electricity generators may need to be requisitioned from the Army and put on barges in the Irish Sea to keep Northern Ireland's lights on in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit.

A document drawn up by officials said the plan would see equipment commandeered from the military and flown back from Nato-led operations in countries such as Afghanistan, according to a report in the Financial Times.
The 'worst-case scenario' is part of a private Government paper outlining negative consequences of the UK leaving the European Union without any deal.
Northern Ireland and the Republic share a single energy market but UK officials fear leaving the EU without an exit deal would lead to energy providers in the south cutting off power to the north because Britain would no longer be part of Europe's electricity market.
To avoid blackouts, the outlandish plan would see thousands of generators taken from the military. One official told the FT that the idea of electricity barges in the Irish Sea was one of the most "gob-smacking" elements of the contingency planning.
"I can't believe this hasn't really been noticed by the wider world," he told the newspaper.
A Government source also told the paper: "We are working hard on a solution.
"We have made good progress on this and a number of other issues during recent negotiations… however, as a responsible Government we will continue to prepare for all scenarios, including the highly unlikely outcome that we leave the EU without any deal next March."

A problem for the EU, not the UK, I'm sure we can all agree.
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 4th August 2018, 16:36   #94
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Another piece of information to mull over - especially for anyone with ongoing health issues, or approaching the latter stages of life when healthcare is likely to become an ever more pressing issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-brexit-nhs-eu

Fears for NHS as apprenticeships fail to plug gaps left by Brexit brain drain

The promise was 1,000 trainee nurses a year, but data shows a serious shortfall for registered and nursing associate programmes

The total number of people starting NHS apprenticeships has fallen by more than a third in the past three years, raising new concerns about shortages of key staff such as nurses after Brexit.
Figures released by the Department for Education show a 36% drop in the number of people taking up NHS apprenticeships between 2015/16 and 2017/18, with take-up of such positions falling way short of government predictions.
Despite ministerial pledges to plug recruitment gaps with the help of 1,000 apprentice nurses a year, the official data also shows that in January 2018 just 20 apprentices started the registered nurse degree apprenticeship while just 10 people signed up for new “nursing associate” training in the same period.
Shadow education secretary Angela Rayner said: “When they scrapped bursaries for nurses, the Tories claimed that apprentices would plug the staffing shortfall. Now, just weeks later, they have admitted that far from apprenticeships increasing in the NHS, they have fallen by a third. We are now missing tens of thousands of nurses on hospital wards, applications have plummeted and patients are suffering the consequences. The government is failing the people who deserve decent care, and the people who deserve decent jobs.”
Record numbers of nurses and midwives from other EU countries quit Britain last year, fuelling fears that a Brexit brain drain would leave the NHS severely short of staff.
A total of 3,962 such staff from the European Economic Area (EEA) left the Nursing and Midwifery Council register between 2017 and 2018. This was 28% more than the 3,081 who left in 2016-17. The number of EU nurses applying to work in the UK fell by 96% in the 12 months following the Brexit vote, from 1,304 to 46.
Former health secretary Jeremy Hunt set out plans last year to address the recruitment problem, suggesting that 2,500 homegrown nursing “associate apprenticeships” would be in place by April this year. But ministers now admit that only 1,018 had started by that date – a shortfall of over 60%. Overall, the government had a target of recruiting 100,000 NHS apprentices by 2020. Based on the latest data, Labour says this target will be missed by over 26,000 places.
A Nigerian mother of three
Old 4th August 2018, 17:58   #95
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Andy - please be aware that your (considered) contributions will be branded as ‘Fake News’, and/or ‘Project Fear’.

There I was thinking that the ‘inconvenient truth’ of The NI/ROI Border issue was going to be complicated to sort out, but not so.
A solution is staring us in the face all along in a previous post:

“There is a very simple solution to trade across the ROI/NI border. The elected sovereign government of the UK negotiates with the elected sovereign government of the ROI. Simple.”

At the end of the day we will get a Brexit that the Politicians will eventually vote for, and end up pleasing no-one.
By any measure it’s a mess, and the ordinary person will pay the price.
Old 4th August 2018, 18:55   #96
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

1973, 0% voted to join the EEC, not asked
1975, 0% voted for EU political union, public were told it was EEC
1992 0% voted for Maastricht
2004 0% voted for open borders
2007 0% voted for Lisbon, not asked
2016 52% voted leave
Old 4th August 2018, 19:48   #97
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
1973, 0% voted to join the EEC, not asked
1975, 0% voted for EU political union, public were told it was EEC
1992 0% voted for Maastricht
2004 0% voted for open borders
2007 0% voted for Lisbon, not asked
2016 52% voted leave

Income Tax rates from 1975 - 2018 have varied considerably
0% voted - not asked.

Possible Peoples vote in 2019 on Brexit Deal.
Outcome unknown: shrug
Old 4th August 2018, 21:31   #98
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie25 View Post

At the end of the day we will get a Brexit that the Politicians will eventually vote for, and end up pleasing no-one.
By any measure it’s a mess, and the ordinary person will pay the price.
Very well said
Old 5th August 2018, 00:15   #99
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
If we have no deal, than neither does the EU. Wonder where they'll stack all of the goods we buy from them. I strongly suspect that that there is not enough slack in the respective markets to take up the excess.

I'm surprised we haven't been told of power cuts as well as food and medical shortages; I mean we buy all of electricity from abroad don't you know? Well according to some contributors on various other sites I visit.

We shall see what the dawn of the 30th of March shall bring?

To misquote Shakespeare:

Barnier, Tusk, Junker, Macron and Merkel should be aware of the Ides of March and the death of the EU.

Some may find this of interest:

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/history_en
Yes, not long to wait and then we will all see if the doom mongering will be realised or not. By choice I would rather stay in Europe, but do we really want to be members of a club whose other members despise us and only want us for our money?
Old 5th August 2018, 09:11   #100
Von Paulus

Rover 75

Default Sad affair

We voted to leave based upon historic emotions and lies hence the younger the voter, the greater the % of remain vote Despite all the economic evidence and experts stating we will suffer economically we voted to take back what we had already and as the picture becomes clearer we need a final vote on the final outcome given how close the original was and the 1.4m new voters which have no say in this event next March but will suffer the effects. .... The will of the people! #FinalVote

Last edited by Von Paulus; 5th August 2018 at 09:13..
Closed Thread