Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2018, 09:36   #11
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Black shoe polish for me, look's more natural.

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 12:42   #12
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Just use a rag with thinners on
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 09:11   #13
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

megs tyre gel. leave untouched for a shiny finish.wipe over for matt finish.
smells nice. easy to put on with a sponge.i have used it driven a hundred and thirty miles to a meet and it still looks great
Old 28th March 2018, 10:03   #14
hrissim
Gets stuck in

75 MK1 2.5 V6 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
megs tyre gel. leave untouched for a shiny finish.wipe over for matt finish.
smells nice. easy to put on with a sponge.i have used it driven a hundred and thirty miles to a meet and it still looks great
Ahaaa, I didn't know that there is a dress code for those meetings
Old 28th March 2018, 14:22   #15
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Had the rear off side wheel off today for cleaning and temptation finally got the better of me. I decided to see what the tyre paint would look like when actually used on a tyre .

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Once dry, the tyre had a deep black natural look with very little evidence of any brush marks. Not wanting to take any risks, I only used it on the inside tyre wall, and in all honesty, I think I'll be sticking to my usual tyre dressing (Gyeon Q2), on the '75.

That said, if your tyres are in dire need of a "lift", I think the tyre paint may well be a quick solution which should last longer than traditional dressings.

Picture doesn't really do it justice, as the paint was still drying, hence the slightly streaky, glossy look.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 28th March 2018 at 20:28..
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 19:57   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There's a big difference between a tyre paint and a tyre dressing. Paints contain a black pigment to provide a new, dense black surface finish, whereas the colourless dressings simply make the existing surface look wet and shiny. Many are based on a thin silicone oil and are resistant to a water wash or rain shower. The water soluble glycerine film will wash off as soon as it rains. The black rubber paint would get my vote.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 20:47   #17
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There's a big difference between a tyre paint and a tyre dressing. Paints contain a black pigment to provide a new, dense black surface finish, whereas the colourless dressings simply make the existing surface look wet and shiny. Many are based on a thin silicone oil and are resistant to a water wash or rain shower. The water soluble glycerine film will wash off as soon as it rains. The black rubber paint would get my vote.

TC
It all depends on the tyre dressing. Most of the cheaper ones are, as you say, a silicon spray designed to make the tyre nice and shiny for a few days (weeks at most) and in the worse cases leave a greasy film behind that will build up with repeated use, making the tyres quite unpleasant to handle.

The more sophisticated dressings available (read: more expensive!) will bond with the tyre wall and will usually last for months rather than days\weeks. They can vary in finish from matt black to a wet look gloss. They get my vote over the tyre paint purely because (in the case of the matt\silk finish ones) the tyre looks and feels like a new tyre, with the dressing itself being practically invisible.

That said, the tyre paint did look impressive and I suspect, if the tyre was properly cleaned before application, it would probably last a good while longer than even the more expensive dressings. Not sure how it would look with repeated application though . I think, some time in the next few weeks, I will apply a coat on our old (BMW) Mini and see how it fares. I suspect it will prove more cost effective than a dressing in the medium to long term at least.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 19:45   #18
keithst24
This is my second home

X Power Grey MGZT 180+ Auto... Bumble & 1.8T Odessey Rover 75 Contemporary SE manual

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
Had the rear off side wheel off today for cleaning and temptation finally got the better of me. I decided to see what the tyre paint would look like when actually used on a tyre .

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Once dry, the tyre had a deep black natural look with very little evidence of any brush marks. Not wanting to take any risks, I only used it on the inside tyre wall, and in all honesty, I think I'll be sticking to my usual tyre dressing (Gyeon Q2), on the '75.

That said, if your tyres are in dire need of a "lift", I think the tyre paint may well be a quick solution which should last longer than traditional dressings.

Picture doesn't really do it justice, as the paint was still drying, hence the slightly streaky, glossy look.

Cliff
Cliff the back of your alloys are cleaner than most of club members fronts
Born Monday, 16th June 2003 @ 14:30:35
This vehicle was the 9,196th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 576th ZT 180 + to be made out of 828
This vehicle was the 871st ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
keithst24 is offline   Reply With Quote