Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th November 2023, 13:06   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Shopwise and Shop Wise

I'm an old fffffffffogey who is thrifty, call it what you will. I generally shop at Tesco which has a large store, conveniently only a mile away. Lidl's opened a store near me, less than a quarter of a mile, and in several cases, they do compare.

The Tesco has for five weeks been moving their stock around, according to their staff, temporarily, but this leads to many Customers getting frustrated, after unsuccessfully finding their item, having to ask staff, who have trouble directing people, as there are no aisle numbers displayed. "It's only temporary". I know I am not the only customer now frequenting Lidl more often.

Lidl today, I have noticed that all, ALL of their packaged products, i.e. sliced ham and other meats, except one that I saw, are cut smaller, therefore less weight. Habitual shoppers who favour one particular type, will just pick it up. This is a rip-off.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2023, 21:11   #2
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

My sympathies, its common practice! Nothing happens in supermarkets by accident. Many years ago I was a district manager for a relatively small supermarket firm which was aggressively taken over by Tesco. My first meeting with Jack Cohen was an eye opener. He and his two sons held a ‘welcome’ management meeting with senior staff. It was not pleasant. But, eventually, I developed a reluctant admiration for the sheer hutzpah.

Shifting shelf point was a well known strategy of squeezing another shilling or two to interrupt habitual robotic trolley meandering. It means customers can be drawn into impulsive and unintended pickups. I had to admire the principle, if not the result!
Old 8th January 2024, 22:12   #3
Gelen

Rover 75 Tourer

As a thrifty shopper, it's frustrating when stores seemingly inconvenience customers. Moving stock around and the lack of proper aisle signage at Tesco can be bothersome. It's understandable that you're exploring alternatives like Lidl. However, it's disappointing to hear that Lidl may be offering smaller portions of packaged products, which can feel like a rip-off. It reminds me why I decided to cancel kohls credit card. I often visited that store, but I found their repetitive music to be annoying. Also, every store was like a sauna. I hope they have changed.

Last edited by Gelen; 17th January 2024 at 15:18..
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2024, 08:05   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Like pubs and bars that play the music too loud, so that you have to shout, making your throat dry, so that you drink more! Marketing strategies! £2.99 sounds a lot less than £3.00. "Do you need help with your packing?" "No!"
Old 9th January 2024, 08:36   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Lidl today, I have noticed that all, ALL of their packaged products, i.e. sliced ham and other meats, except one that I saw, are cut smaller, therefore less weight. Habitual shoppers who favour one particular type, will just pick it up.
I now realize that Tesco too, cut all their cooked meats smaller, I am watching the size of bread loaves.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2024, 11:02   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Having been a supermarket assistant manager a number of years ago it is all a sales ploy.
Do you remember when supermarkets had huge posters on the windows advertising cut prices, that entices the customer in. And once you find the items that are advertised on the windows your shopping just snowballs from there.

We used to move the stock around on a 6 week basis, just when the customer got used to where everything was it was now moved. Just by moving from the top shelf to the bottom was enough.

As for packs getting smaller, well that’s been going on for years. A good example is look at the size of a Mars bar or a Wagon Wheel. The manufacturers are always looking to cut down sizes to make you spend more. The bosses get richer and the customer gets poorer. Been going on for years.

Once upon it paid to shop around for the best prices, but not so much now.
I used bake my own bread but was eating it too quick thus I was baking more. Who won? Not me.

Here in Saltash a lady turned her bread baking hobby into a business, doing really well by baking three times a week. Then Covid hit and prices went through the roof. Now she only bakes once a fortnight, she still has loyal following and sells out every time.I’ve bought from her and the bread really tastes as bread should be. Not like the mass produced bread made by big time bakers.

Where it will end, goodness knows.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 9th January 2024 at 11:03.. Reason: Missing words located
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2024, 16:50   #7
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I noticed recently that several supermarkets had reduced the size of their bags of potatoes from 2.5Kg to 2Kg.

A reduction in size of 20%, or a 25% price increase.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2024, 17:01   #8
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

How about legislation which requires "standard" sizes/weights for essential purchases?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote