Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2012, 16:58   #1
adrianlit

rover 75 saloon connoiseur cdt se

Default rover 75 master or slave clutch cylinder fail?

hi begining of the year over a few days i found its hard to engage gear any gear on my 2001 rover 75 cdt se,finally after a week i just could not get into gear,i took it a local garage he told me he replaced the master clutch cylinder at £240 after using my car 3 times i stalled the car twice in that time,i got in the car a few days later the clutch pedal was stuck on the floor,i had only done 26 miles since getting my car back from the garage,took it back to get it repaired but he has had it 5 and half weeks with saying he would fix it 5 times but always lies,i think he does not know whats up with it,he said he bled the system 3 times he goes for a drive in it and 100mtrs later the clutch pedal gets sucked down to the floor again,he said he was thinking the slave cylinder but as of 3 weeks ago when he said that its still not been done,with what i have told everyone was the master clutch cylinder what went or could it have been the slave cylinder,as this week i am going to take it to another garage and need to tell them what is up with it,i hope someone can help me asap
adrianlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 17:03   #2
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi,

How many miles ? a good precaution is to change both ..sorry

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 17:06   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Adrian,I would certainly say its your slave cyl,the way to check is,look under the car where the gearbox joins the engine,if its covered in a clear oil,then slave is defo cream crackered,
Check around your clutch pedal 1st though,see if there's any fluid on the carpets,as its possible they have not fitted a new m/c. or it could be new and still faulty,unlikely,but check anyway.
If your slave cyl is bust,gwt a freelander td4 part as its cheaper than the Rover one,but is still the same,try www.island-4x4.co.uk £60,labour about 4hours.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:20   #4
adrianlit

thank you for the answers the miles on the clock is 133433 ,there was no fluid in the car that i know,my point is when it 1st broke with not being able to put it in gear was it the master cylinder what actually broke? or was it actually the slave?
Old 4th March 2012, 18:48   #5
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianlit View Post
thank you for the answers the miles on the clock is 133433 ,there was no fluid in the car that i know,my point is when it 1st broke with not being able to put it in gear was it the master cylinder what actually broke? or was it actually the slave?
IMO,at that milage and for peace of mind,change slave AND master
and obviously plate /mecanism

Check the DMF (play less than 25 mm)

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 19:08   #6
roverbabe
Avid contributor

75 saloon

Talking

It is a false economy to say which one is going or gone, they are two halves of one loop .
Its like replacing your wishbones would you only replace one or both at same time. I find if you just replace the cmc because its the cheaper easier option or replace the slave because the clutch is being done , that newfound strength of pressure the other will very quickly fail.
So to basically answer your question i dont know which one went first but i dont think it mattered, prob not ans you want but hope it helps you babe.
roverbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 19:37   #7
adrianlit

ok thank you for that i will get the slave cylinder replaced