Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st August 2015, 09:39   #1
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

Default Symphony/HK upgrade to DAB?

Morning all... long time lurker, occasional poster...

As her indoors has expressed the desire to get a caravan, I've sort of been considering my options as, well, with the best will in the world my ZT120 ain't exactly a load lugger.

Last night, after a bit of horse trading, I purchased a 75 Connoisseur V6 auto, Y reg, 81000 miles, for the princely sum of 250 of your fine Earth pounds... needs recommissioning as it's been laid up for a year, of which more anon.

Anyway, it's currently fitted with a Symphony head unit and HK upgrade, but as a 6 Music/Planet Rock addict I'm looking at installing a DAB. I have a JVC single DIN headunit in the ZT which is good quality but (obviously) only single DIN and doesn't work with the steering wheel controls. I'd like a double DIN which doesn't look like it's come out of a Citroen Saxo, fits with the minimum of fuss, is compatible with the CD changer for those days when only a blast of Public Image Ltd will do, works with the steering wheel controls, and most importantly doesn't cost 3 times what I paid for the car...!

Any recommendations would be most welcome.
1965cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2015, 23:28   #2
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Can't help with those but share your love of Dab, just put my ancient Grundig single din and its dedicated dab box back into mine. You could maybe consider an add-on Dab tuner if you can find a dd unit you like?
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2015, 10:14   #3
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

I've (sort of) decided to keep the Symphony, I doubt any aftermarket systems would match the sound quality... The CD magazine is missing though, and the only one I can find online is £40-odd. Does anyone have any idea if there is another Alpine magazine which fits, or do I have to wring out the wallet (again)...?
Old 8th September 2015, 10:50   #4
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

Just a thought. I've been looking at DAB add on units to enable me to keep the Symphony. I note that there appears to be an SMB connector going into the back of the Symphony, presumably this is part of the low-line sat nav setup (which I don't have)... I may be being stupid, but I'll ask anyway, is the aerial connected to this DAB compatible, or has anyone successfully used this to receive DAB signals?
Old 8th September 2015, 11:12   #5
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965cap View Post
Just a thought. I've been looking at DAB add on units to enable me to keep the Symphony. I note that there appears to be an SMB connector going into the back of the Symphony, presumably this is part of the low-line sat nav setup (which I don't have)... I may be being stupid, but I'll ask anyway, is the aerial connected to this DAB compatible, or has anyone successfully used this to receive DAB signals?
Unfortunately, that won't work. The Symphony is set up to receive the various bands (MW/FM) at certain frequencies. Can't remember what they are for MW but for FM it's 88-108MHz.

DAB is broadcast at between 174-229MHz and they're multiplexed, meaning (in simple terms) that more than one radio station can share a frequency, which is then 'decoded' by the DAB receiver.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 11:18   #6
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

Ok, Plan A it is then.... the one which involves drilling a hole somewhere in the roof (and hopefully managing to not drill through the sunroof mechanism!)
Old 8th September 2015, 11:22   #7
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965cap View Post
Ok, Plan A it is then.... the one which involves drilling a hole somewhere in the roof (and hopefully managing to not drill through the sunroof mechanism!)
Why not buy a good, glassmount DAB aerial? Not one of those cheap & nasty things that you can get on eBay or at Halfrauds.

Then you could buy an external DAB receiver that has an audio out jack plug and one of those 'electronic cassettes' that convert your audio out as if your Symphony was playing a tape

Or just buy a Navall 3 from Radioguy
Old 8th September 2015, 11:51   #8
DragonFly
Loves to post

Non 75

Talking about this has made me go and explore options myself.

Obviously there would have to be aerial (plug) adaptors used, but there are now DAB (add-on) receivers that utilise the RDS channels of an existing RDS enabled radio, of which the Symphony is one.

I may have to look into this more
Old 8th September 2015, 12:06   #9
Duotone
This is my second home

This is the style of MG Rover fascia.

Put an ad in the wanted section, there should be one or two about.

As for the steering wheel controls, you will need an interface unit.

On the Symphony the steering wheel control wires are connected to pins 2 and 3 of the grey ISO plug.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2015, 12:08   #10
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

I've been looking at this one, which will give me the functionality of the DAB but keeping the original Symphony head unit.

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic...car_radio.html

After all, one can only listen to so much Steve Wright in one lifetime...