Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2024, 10:02   #1
Alexa

Rover 75

Exclamation HELP!! License plate lights always ON, Witched 75 case?

I have a problem that is driving me crazy, the license plate lights are always on with the ignition and the switch lights in the off position, I have checked the voltage and I always get 12.7v to the positive wire of the license plate light, I have cleaned the ground connections, shiny as new, I have checked the cables that go from the trunk to the interior and everything is perfect, without corrosion, everything clean and shiny copper on the terminals.
The fuses are all checked and everything is fine.
I repeat, I always get 12v to the positive license plate cable with everything turned off at the controls.
Curiously, this problem happened to me when I removed the chrome bootlid from the trunk to polish and clean the paint in that area, and when I placed it and connected the license plate, the lights stayed on permanently.
The rest of the car works perfectly, everything turns off and on correctly, there are no short circuits or anything strange.
What I can do? Should I buy all new relays to rule out this option or does it have nothing to do with the problem?

I hope someone can help me, I would be eternally grateful
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2024, 11:03   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

If it happened when you had the lights apart then check there aren't any extra wires put in by Mr Previous Owner - maybe for a live feed for a camera for example that you could have connected in place of the correct cable.
Failing that a battery disconnect costs nothing and is easy enough to do so worth a try. Only other things I can think of is a faulty Light Switch Module or faulty cabling between the LSM and the number plate lights where cables have rubbed through the insulation and you are picking up another live feed.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2024, 19:13   #3
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Had a similar experience after a repair to my plinth.Lights going off and on whilst boot closed on the number plate.I found that the plinth seal had been compromised along the top edge letting in and retaining a volume of water in the lid itself. Why fuse did not blow , i have no idea !! Think you need to go back in there and check. I used some clear doublr sided tape ,trimmed to suit before re attatching the plinth, then all was good.However your problem may be from a different source , but you need to start somewhere ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2024, 09:31   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The fuse didn't blow because that circuit isn't fuse protected.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2024, 10:08   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default For anyone interested ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The fuse didn't blow because that circuit isn't fuse protected.
To add to Mike's helpful post, none of the lamp circuits uses a conventional fuse except the front fog lamps and reversing lamps on cars with automatic transmission.

Instead short circuit protection is provided within the LSM by FETs (Field Effect Transistors) which are self-resetting once the fault has been rectified (source: RAVE).

Simon
Old 26th January 2024, 10:20   #6
Alexa

Rover 75

Problem solved, there were two SMD capacitors burned in the LSM, I bought one from a scrapyard 75 and it is now solved, I just have to set it to TOAF. At first I had an error in the box, which is normal, but now the error has disappeared on its own, I will still check that it is linked correctly with the other modules.
The license plate light has symptoms of some water having entered, I have disassembled it, converted it to LED and sealed it completely for safety.

Mike Noc, xsport & SD1too, thanks you very much for trying to help me!

Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote