Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th January 2021, 19:59   #21
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Holy thread revival!
Yeah, KRC-394 was one of the standard fitments and if steering wheel controls were factory fitted then they should work. Seems odd that the CD changer isn't there - they aren't worth a lot for anything else - perhaps it was faulty and taken out for fixing?

TBH if funds allow I'd strongly recommend replacing that Kenwood with an Android double-din unit. Steering wheel controls work great (at least on mine), you have the benefit of an internet connected device - Waze with real-time traffic updates is fabulous. Not to mention all the other advantages of having an Android tablet.
BigAde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 09:58   #22
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
Holy thread revival!
Yeah, KRC-394 was one of the standard fitments and if steering wheel controls were factory fitted then they should work. Seems odd that the CD changer isn't there - they aren't worth a lot for anything else - perhaps it was faulty and taken out for fixing?

TBH if funds allow I'd strongly recommend replacing that Kenwood with an Android double-din unit. Steering wheel controls work great (at least on mine), you have the benefit of an internet connected device - Waze with real-time traffic updates is fabulous. Not to mention all the other advantages of having an Android tablet.
Thanks, I didn't know it was a standard unit, it's my Dad's car, so my role is mechanic.
Dad did say that the buttons never worked, so I guess that I will need to add that to the list of jobs.
I am not sure about an android double din, I prefer Android myself, but Dad is a technophobe and Mum is iPhone.
I will ask them what they want to do.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:01   #23
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
Thanks, I didn't know it was a standard unit, it's my Dad's car, so my role is mechanic.
Dad did say that the buttons never worked, so I guess that I will need to add that to the list of jobs.
I am not sure about an android double din, I prefer Android myself, but Dad is a technophobe and Mum is iPhone.
I will ask them what they want to do.
Fair enough. I'm an iPhone user myself, but quite happy with the Android head unit. Stick Car Dashdroid app on it and it gives it a very simple interface for use while driving. Depends what they want out of it I guess, might need some thinking about. Perhaps a bluetooth stereo would be useful so they can link it to phones for handsfree calling and playing music?

If the only concern is the lack of steering wheel controls, it might be worth a few checks - have a look at some of the other old threads on here. From memory there were two types of steering wheel controls fitted. Mine gave out an IR signal from the eyebrow - to control the Kenwood KRC-394 so it maybe worth checking if you have the same system and if that is still connected and pointing in the right direction. I remember changing the type of connector when I changed to an Android unit - but from what I recall it was fairly painless.
Old 15th January 2021, 11:16   #24
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
I remember changing the type of connector when I changed to an Android unit - but from what I recall it was fairly painless.

My Android dbl din unit was plug and play so pretty straightforward.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 11:27   #25
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
My Android dbl din unit was plug and play so pretty straightforward.
I think it depends if you had the IR controls or not. I remember having to disconnect the IR control box (think I cut it out in the end) at the back, but after that it was simply plug and play for each Android DD unit I went through (3 in total).
Old 15th January 2021, 11:44   #26
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

Only a ZT with a factory fitted Kenwood stereo will have the infra-red system, others, and all Rovers, have a hard wired system.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2021, 11:53   #27
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Only a ZT with a factory fitted Kenwood stereo will have the infra-red system, others, and all Rovers, have a hard wired system.
That's what I was thinking, thanks for confirming.
So my guess is that Thunderbolts problem with steering wheel controls not working may just be that the IR wand in the eyebrow has become disconnected or dislodged.
Old 18th January 2021, 16:19   #28
Thunderbolt
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T+ 190

This is the head unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4E9BD8BE-F995-46AF-A5A9-FE64B5951F44.jpg (20.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 18th January 2021, 16:29   #29
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

Quote:
So my guess is that Thunderbolts problem with steering wheel controls not working may just be that the IR wand in the eyebrow has become disconnected or dislodged.
Kenwood KRC-394 was a standard fitment in ZTs, the above may be the problem.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2021, 16:58   #30
BigAde
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T+ 135 CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
This is the head unit.
As raykay says, you need to check the IR wand first... it's most likely the problem. IIRC mine was always getting dislodged and was quite sensitive as to placement.

I found some pictures on an old thread on the other forum.
https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/mg-...s-2001.107914/
See post no. 12.