Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2010, 19:02   #1
Mozza75

2001 Rover 75 Classic SE Saloon

Default Diesel Fuel Pump Problem - Which one??

Hi all,

I'm new on here, bought my 75 just over a week ago in a private sale and within a week it is now in the garage with a fuel pump problem as it won't start, it was intermitant to start with i.e. struggled to start on the Sunday but knocked the fuel filter a couple of times (very technical :-) ) and it started again. I then drove it for 600 miles over the next few days before it gave up starting on Thursday last week.
My independant has checked on the sensor which is showing a fuel pressure problem, he says that there are three pumps on this model (2001 TD) 1) in tank, 2) top of engine by filter & 3) bottom of engine driven by belts. He says that he can't work out if it is the tank pump or the bottom pump?
Anyone got any ideas? Any previous history?

Thanks
Chris
Mozza75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 19:08   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza75 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new on here, bought my 75 just over a week ago in a private sale and within a week it is now in the garage with a fuel pump problem as it won't start, it was intermitant to start with i.e. struggled to start on the Sunday but knocked the fuel filter a couple of times (very technical :-) ) and it started again. I then drove it for 600 miles over the next few days before it gave up starting on Thursday last week.
My independant has checked on the sensor which is showing a fuel pressure problem, he says that there are three pumps on this model (2001 TD) 1) in tank, 2) top of engine by filter & 3) bottom of engine driven by belts. He says that he can't work out if it is the tank pump or the bottom pump?
Anyone got any ideas? Any previous history?

Thanks
Chris
Sounds like classic symptoms of in tank pump, I've had a problem today which I suspect is a pump but has different symptoms to the norm. With yours when you switch the ign on you should hear the underbonnet pump (by the battery) & the in-tank one under the rear seat priming up the system
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 19:13   #3
Mozza75

Cheers for the reply 2Diesels, yes i could hear the top one priming, but never listened to the tank one and it is now with the garage, however he told me there were 3 pumps whereas i only see people on here talk about two, is there 3? Is there a belt driven one?
Old 26th April 2010, 19:20   #4
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozza75 View Post
Cheers for the reply 2Diesels, yes i could hear the top one priming, but never listened to the tank one and it is now with the garage, however he told me there were 3 pumps whereas i only see people on here talk about two, is there 3? Is there a belt driven one?
The other one is the High Pressure pump on the injection side & is driven by the timing chain & is apparantly very reliable, I would get him to check for buzzing under the seat & also if you top the diesel up to half a tank it might just start which points towards the in-tank pump it's a strange phenomenon but that's the way they are it seems
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 19:24   #5
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
The other one is the High Pressure pump on the injection side & is driven by the timing chain & is apparantly very reliable, I would get him to check for buzzing under the seat & also if you top the diesel up to half a tank it might just start which points towards the in-tank pump it's a strange phenomenon but that's the way they are it seems
I'd agree, the two problem ones are the in tank, and the electric underbonnet by the fuel filter. These are the low pressure pumps.

The high pressure pump can fail but a more common problem is the seal going and getting diesel in your oil sump. It's also the most expensive so start with the cheap options first.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 19:24   #6
Mozza75

Cheers 2Diesels, i'll call him in the morning!!
Old 26th April 2010, 19:42   #7
Wolves 75
I really should get out more.......

75 connoisseur SE CDTi

Believe me pal, if the high pressure pump goes, the one driven off the cam chain, you will certainly know about it, as fuel and oil blows out of your dipstick like a whales blow hole, been there done that, deffo in tank by the sounds of it....

Wolves 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 20:42   #8
SMB1610
Regular poster

Rover 75 Club Diesel

Default In tank pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
Sounds like classic symptoms of in tank pump, I've had a problem today which I suspect is a pump but has different symptoms to the norm. With yours when you switch the ign on you should hear the underbonnet pump (by the battery) & the in-tank one under the rear seat priming up the system

I also have the same problem with my 75 diesel, does anyone know if you can just buy the motor part of the pump in the tank. Thanks
SMB1610 is offline   Reply With Quote