Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th April 2010, 20:55   #1
pipenslippers
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260 SE

Unhappy Ominous signs or am I just paranoid ?

Its been buggin me ever since I got my Tourer Club SE 1.8T back in Jan. There have always been very small amounts (spots) of "mayo" in the expansion tank and more recently I have noticed I do need to top up the coolant levels. Today I'd guess about 50ml after doing 40 mile round trip. I'm going to keep more precise records of levels over the coming days.

At the time of purchase, the joint opinion from my experienced petrol head friends and family were the spots of mayo were just residue and nothing to worry about (ie not a HGF). It was a low milage motor (42K) so I bought the car.... but now I'm not so sure.

BTW What I have of the car's history shows no record head gasket replacement either from the initial owner's records or the subsequent garage that I bought it from. (I know this was risky). If the HG was replaced it wasn't with an uprated Xpart.

Initial thoughts pointed to the T piece (tell tale pink stains around hose ends) so I had GerryT installed thinking that would sort it but a week later I still need to top up the coolant. The GerryT is fab as I definately can't see new pink marks/leaks appearing around the hose ends on the T. I've checked the car while its running, at the end of a run and then various points while the engine cools down. No drips appearing under the car, no sign of leaks on hoses, it looks bone dry.

After a run (giving the car a little time to cool down) there's a hiss as I undo the expansion cap so its keeping pressure so I don't think the cap is leaking. The cap is later 140 rated one and there's no pink staining around the expansion tank's filler hole. However sometimes I do notice a very, very, faint wiff of (pine like odour) coolant as I open the bonnet.

Any ideas? Is it the early stages of a HGF? (oh the oil filler cap on the engine is nice and clean with no signs of coolant in the engine yet *phew)

Cheers

Pipe.

Last edited by pipenslippers; 20th April 2010 at 08:37.. Reason: Correcting spelling mistakes !
pipenslippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 20:58   #2
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Its possible and if it turns out to be this I would get it done asap before any damage is caused to the engine itself.you may get away without skimming the head etc if done quick enough, However as usual if it turns out to be headgasket check why it went in the first place usually there is a reason.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 21:01   #3
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Having re-read your post its possible that if the T piece was leaking perhaps its been low on coolant at some point before you bought it and it dosent take much to start the process of headgasket failure. it may be difficult to detect at this early stage but as I said previous if it turns out to be get done asap.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 01:52   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers View Post
There have always been very small amounts (spots) of "mayo" in the expansion tank and more recently I have noticed I do need to top up the coolant levels.
If by 'mayo' you mean emulsified oil, then that is not normal. The only way oil can get into the coolant system is via HGF. Whether this is oil residue from an earlier failure or a current problem is the question that needs answering.

Quote:
At the time of purchase, the joint opinion from my experienced petrol head friends and family were the spots of mayo were just residue and nothing to worry about (ie not a HGF).
'Just residue' of what? A previous HGF maybe, but it's not normal. The only thing that should be in the coolant systemis coolant, nothing else.

Quote:
It was a low milage motor (42K) so I bought the car.... but now I'm not so sure.
HGF can happen almost any time if there is a coolant leak.

Quote:
If the HG was replaced it wasn't with an uprated Xpart.
How do you know?

Quote:
However sometimes I do notice a very, very, faint wiff of (pine like odour) coolant as I open the bonnet.
Typical of a coolant leak. Do you have to top up very often?

Quote:
Is it the early stages of a HGF?
I'd say it's either had HGF previously, or it's in progress now. The mayo in the coolant is definitive.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 05:43   #5
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers View Post
Its been buggin me ever since I got my Tourer Clube SE 1.8T back in Jan. There have always been very small amounts (spots) of "mayo" in the expansion tank and more recently I have noticed I do need to top up the coolant levels. Today I'd guess about 50ml after doing 40 mile round trip. I'm going to keep more precise records of levels over the coming days.

At the time of purchase, the joint opinion from my experienced petrol head friends and family were the spots of mayo were just residue and nothing to worry about (ie not a HGF). It was a low milage motor (42K) so I bought the car.... but now I'm not so sure.

BTW What I have of the car's history shows no record head gasket replacement either from the initial owner's records or the subsequent garage that I bought it from. (I know this was risky). If the HG was replaced it wasn't with an uprated Xpart.

Initial thoughts pointed to the T piece (tell tale pink stains around hose ends) so I had GerryT installed thinking that would sort it but a week later I still need to top up the coolant. The GerryT is fab as I definately can't see new pink marks/leaks appearing around the hose ends on the T. I've checked the car while its running, at the end of a run and then various points while the engine cools down. No drips appearing under the car, no sign of leaks on hoses, it looks bone dry.

After a run (giving the car a little time to cool down) there's a hiss as I undo the expansion cap so its keeping pressure so I don't think the cap is leaking. The cap is later 140 rated one and there's no pink staining around the expansion tank's filler hole. However sometimes I do notice a very, very, faint wiff of (pine like odour) coolant as I open the bonnet.

Any ideas? Is it the early stages of a HGF? (oh the oil filler cap on the engine is nice and clean with no signs of coolant in the engine yet *phew)

Cheers

Pipe.
If you can smell coolant, you are leaking cooling fluid.
I would first search for any outside leaks.
Go through all your rubber pipes, hose clamps, inlet manifold at the bottom at the back of the engine, water pump on RH side and check the engine/radiator carefully for any stains.
I am convinced you have an outside leak for starters, most people can smell this, and, if it is not coming from the header tank (which you must not overfill!) then there must be an outside leak.
Also check for moisture inside the oil filler cap on a hot engine.
You are unlikely to suffer HGF unless you have overheated, so keeping an eye on your water level is your best option. The temperature gauge is useless, so do it manually, and do it often!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 07:17   #6
pipenslippers
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
If you can smell coolant, you are leaking cooling fluid.I would first search for any outside leaks.
I've had a good hunt around but can't spot anything obvious.

Quote:
Go through all your rubber pipes, hose clamps,
There were stains on the "T" at the front so replaced it with a GerryT

Quote:
inlet manifold at the bottom at the back of the engine, water pump on RH side and check the engine/radiator carefully for any stains.
No signs on the radiator of damage or discolouration. Need to get the car up on a ramp to have a proper look at the water pump etc.

Quote:
I am convinced you have an outside leak for starters, most people can smell this, and, if it is not coming from the header tank (which you must not overfill!) then there must be an outside leak.
That's what I'm hoping . I had been (unknowingly) overfilling the expansion tank til recently. One of the links on the this forum shows a pic of the "correct level" which I'd been copying but this turns out to be wrong too !. Was shown where the max and min markers are located. Easy when you know.

Quote:
Also check for moisture inside the oil filler cap on a hot engine.
No probs there no moisture showing up on the cap

Quote:
You are unlikely to suffer HGF unless you have overheated, so keeping an eye on your water level is your best option. The temperature gauge is useless, so do it manually, and do it often!
That's what I'm hoping. Not looking forward to a £700 bill to have the HG replaced.... I'll be checking the coolant level every day. If only someone could build a coolant level mod for the 75's....

Cheers

Pipe.
Old 13th April 2010, 07:38   #7
pipenslippers
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
If by 'mayo' you mean emulsified oil, then that is not normal. The only way oil can get into the coolant system is via HGF. Whether this is oil residue from an earlier failure or a current problem is the question that needs answering.
I know that's why its bugging me . Could oil also leak into the system from the Turbo ?

Quote:
'Just residue' of what? A previous HGF maybe, but it's not normal. The only thing that should be in the coolant systemis coolant, nothing else.
I'm trying to work out if this was from a previous failure and that the garage didn't flush the system properly (or were just plan lazy and didn't bother).

Quote:
HGF can happen almost any time if there is a coolant leak.
That was my mistake thought it would either happen very early on in the cars history or after a lot more miles had been put on the clock. Joys of being a 75 noobie. I'm now keeping a very close eye on the coolant levels.

Quote:
How do you know?
I'm told the uprated xpart gasket has a tag on it which you can see when looking at the front side of the engine block.

Quote:
Typical of a coolant leak. Do you have to top up very often?
I'm now monitoring the situation more closely. Yesterday I recon the car did 40-50miles and I found myself adding about 40ml to the expansion tank in the evening. I'm gonna keep a proper record over the coming days.

Quote:
I'd say it's either had HGF previously, or it's in progress now. The mayo in the coolant is definitive.
Ah that's the million dollar question or rather the £700 one. With no previous records showing HGF its trying to work out if the HG has recently been replaced or not. I dont want fork out £700 to replace the HG if the work has been done.

Cheers

Pipe.

TC[/quote]
Old 13th April 2010, 08:48   #8
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

If you're worried that it's on the verge of going, I'd recomend putting a K-Seal in it (you can get them off e-bay) some manufacfureres recomend you having an additive in.

Our frontera V6 had the same symptoms as your car, we put one k-seal in it and never had another problem and many thousands of happy mileage- if you ignored the fuel economy!

Jake
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:57   #9
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

Quote:
If you're worried that it's on the verge of going, I'd recomend putting a K-Seal in it

Do not put K seal in. It will not fix a HG leak. It is a bodge job at best.

Have a sniff test done in the expansion tank to see if exhaust gas is in the system. If the HG is leaking then have it replaced before it lets go and cooks your engine.

Use the new uprated gasket and sump rail and all will be well. Catch it early you will avoid engine damage. And above all do not add k seal it will not fix a head gasket leak. k seal may work if the liners seals are leaking but that is unlikely on a low mileage engine.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Ed.
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:43   #10
pipenslippers
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by capese21 View Post
Do not put K seal in. It will not fix a HG leak. It is a bodge job at best.

Have a sniff test done in the expansion tank to see if exhaust gas is in the system. If the HG is leaking then have it replaced before it lets go and cooks your engine.

Use the new uprated gasket and sump rail and all will be well. Catch it early you will avoid engine damage. And above all do not add k seal it will not fix a head gasket leak. k seal may work if the liners seals are leaking but that is unlikely on a low mileage engine.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

Ed.

Mmmmm sounds like a sniff test would be the best way to go. May be go for the K-seal if the test comes back negative. Can most garages do a sniff test or can I buy a simple kit and do it myself ? (I'm happy to do it myself)

*update* found these kits on fleabay ... Would they do the trick ?
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Ta

Pipe

Last edited by pipenslippers; 13th April 2010 at 10:49..