Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2007, 20:40   #11
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

I'm with Telewest/Blueyonder AKA Telewest/Blueyonder/NTL AKATelewest/Blueyonder/NTL/Virgin Media... Phew!

Anyway..

I'm glad Sir R Branson has stood by his guns over this. If Sky could get away with it, they would do to the cable company what they did to BSB (remember the 'squariels?).

Losing a few channels not too many people watch, with the exception of maybe Sky 1 is no great loss, and maybe us cable users will end up with a better deal in the long run - here's hoping anyway.

My favorite channel is intact (Hallmark), and there are 'other' ways of watching a lot of the shows we'll lose when the plug is pulled on Sky 1..
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 20:45   #12
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
My favorite channel is intact (Hallmark)
Heh, that was the first question SWMBO asked me when she heard about all this malarky. I think she knows the word for word script for every cop/detective type drama on that channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
there are 'other' ways of watching a lot of the shows we'll lose when the plug is pulled on Sky 1..
Indeed

This is now looking more and more like the deal will not go ahead.

Also, to add fuel to the Sky fire and backup the current investigation into them, the current newswires say that Sky will also be pulling ALL their Freeview channels and making them subscriber only, ala TopUpTV!

Are they bonkers
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 21:11   #13
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

.and all of this neatly coincides with the BBC getting their free view satellite service under way

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle2311375.ece

Over here in Northern Ireland, its only the people in places like Belfast that can get cable, and freeview, the rest of us have no choice other than to have sky for any sort of decent picture until the change over in 2012.

Although we can use the "freesat" option with sky, its still £150 for the equipment and their "basic" install (they throw the cable over your roof and drill a hole in the wall) unless you buy your own dish and box from a local installer (that works out almost as expensive) then its £20 for the viewing card.

I look forward to the BBC getting it off the ground as the more choice we have, the less chance of that greedy NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- murdock has of ripping people off
Old 28th February 2007, 21:59   #14
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The Trouble is Murdoch owns so much with the Film Studios, Film Distribution Companies he has such a Monopoly and money to throw at it. All this started because he bought into ITV to stop NTL/Virgin takeover now its going Pear Shaped for the Viewer. A lot of the Film Library Virgin have is also leased from Sky/Murdoch Group.
Skys income is now more than all the Cable Companies & Terestrial (Excluding BBC) But there FreeSat Package is cheaper if you have to instal new Digital Aerial (over 70% country) + a half decent Freeview box with twin tuners.
There was a James Bond film very like this whole episode not so long ago when the Satellite Company tried to Control the World...Was Fiction wasn't it!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 22:10   #15
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Ok, there are far too many big words and far too many.....well.....words completely in this thread and my head is hurting. I'm with Virgin Media......in short can someone explain simply what it all means?

(Incidentally I like Richard Branson and trust him and believe that he would do the best thing for his customers.)

Goodness my fish are smacking the side of the tank, do you think they're hungry?
Old 28th February 2007, 22:20   #16
tourerfogey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
The Trouble is Murdoch owns so much with the Film Studios, Film Distribution Companies he has such a Monopoly and money to throw at it. All this started because he bought into ITV to stop NTL/Virgin takeover now its going Pear Shaped for the Viewer. A lot of the Film Library Virgin have is also leased from Sky/Murdoch Group.
Skys income is now more than all the Cable Companies & Terestrial (Excluding BBC) But there FreeSat Package is cheaper if you have to instal new Digital Aerial (over 70% country) + a half decent Freeview box with twin tuners.
There was a James Bond film very like this whole episode not so long ago when the Satellite Company tried to Control the World...Was Fiction wasn't it!
James Bond film was 'Tomorrow Never Comes'. The Media Baron in that was called Elliott Carver and was Rupert Murdoch by another name. Though at the end of film, to explain his death 'M' said he had supposedly fallen off his yacht and drowned - a direct reference to Robert Maxwell. Guess that's what's known as Poetic Licence.
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 22:30   #17
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterchick View Post
Ok, there are far too many big words and far too many.....well.....words completely in this thread and my head is hurting. I'm with Virgin Media......in short can someone explain simply what it all means?

(Incidentally I like Richard Branson and trust him and believe that he would do the best thing for his customers.)

Goodness my fish are smacking the side of the tank, do you think they're hungry?
It means you will most probally loose your Sky channels on Virgin Media Scoot. Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky 3, Sky News, Sky Sports News etc.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 22:35   #18
mach1rob
Gets stuck in

Well we're with sky, the service here is diabolical, you'll be sat there watching something, then it'll loose signal and won't regain it for anywhere from 5mins to an hour! It wouldn't be so bad, but most of it is repeats from earlier in the week, or re runs. Glad to see my £45 a month is well spent! I was quite happy with ITV Digital until that went belly up, and Blurgh wants everything digital so the analogue signals can be switched off? Great idea NOT!
mach1rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2007, 22:43   #19
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourerfogey View Post
James Bond film was 'Tomorrow Never Comes'. The Media Baron in that was called Elliott Carver and was Rupert Murdoch by another name. Though at the end of film, to explain his death 'M' said he had supposedly fallen off his yacht and drowned - a direct reference to Robert Maxwell. Guess that's what's known as Poetic Licence.
Was it not 'Tomorrow Never Dies'?
Old 28th February 2007, 22:44   #20
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
It means you will most probally loose your Sky channels on Virgin Media Scoot. Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky 3, Sky News, Sky Sports News etc.
Ach weel, don't watch them anyway. So long as I don't lose Living I'll be happy.