Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th September 2019, 10:23   #1
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Brake hose clamp pliers

Can anyone recommend some decent (but cheap ) brake hose clamps or pliers? I need to get the calipers off for refurbing (and a rear subframe change) so rather than drain the whole braking system I was thinking of doing this:

1. Clamp hose
2. Disconnect hose from caliper
3. (If possible) screw an end cap/blanking plug onto hose
4. Undo hose clamp
5. Remove caliper

I also need something with which to do step 3.

Last edited by Blink; 3rd October 2019 at 10:49..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 10:29   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post

1. Clamp hose
2. Disconnect hose from caliper
3. (If possible) screw an end cap/blanking plug onto hose
4. Undo hose clamp
5. Remove caliper

I also need something with which to do step 3.
Why not just leave the clamp or clamps in place, instead of 3 ?

I don't have any proper clamps, I use tiny G clamps, or self grip wrenches, with some split hose or similar slipped over, to protect the brake flexible.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 11:06   #3
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I would suggest that the long term clamping of hoses is detrimental to their design, we understand that at some stage they are likely to get clamped, however this is usually for a limited period of time which is likely to self heal after removal, however the long term is likely to cause damage especially to aged hoses. If going to the effort of fitting refurbished subframe and calipers, why not do the hoses as well. This way you could simply fold the hose and cable tie it tight to prevent leakage. Alternatively, elevate the hose above the height of the ABS unit and cling film the end to limit leak-out.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 11:20   #4
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Also, just to offer an alternative, if removing the brake hose from the metal pipe, you could use the bleed nipple cover from the caliper to cover the brake line union end !
Just a thought !
Old 20th September 2019, 11:41   #5
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Why not just leave the clamp or clamps in place, instead of 3 ?
I don't trust the clamps not to leak. Plus I might knock them off accidentally while struggling with the subframe & arms etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
I would suggest that the long term clamping of hoses is detrimental to their design, we understand that at some stage they are likely to get clamped, however this is usually for a limited period of time which is likely to self heal after removal, however the long term is likely to cause damage especially to aged hoses. If going to the effort of fitting refurbished subframe and calipers, why not do the hoses as well. This way you could simply fold the hose and cable tie it tight to prevent leakage. Alternatively, elevate the hose above the height of the ABS unit and cling film the end to limit leak-out.
I'll be changing the hoses as well but I didn't want to drain it down completely yet in case something goes wrong with the rest of the job.

Will folding & cable tying the hose stop leakage/seepage? Ditto elevating & cling film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
Also, just to offer an alternative, if removing the brake hose from the metal pipe, you could use the bleed nipple cover from the caliper to cover the brake line union end !
Just a thought !
I don't think the bleed nipple cover will stop fluid escape at the union end. A screw on end cap (like a plumbing end cap) would do the job if I could find something that fits either the hose end or the union end. I can't see anything obvious here - https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001566.
Old 20th September 2019, 11:48   #6
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

For info, here's a clear pic of the ends on a new hose - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223624544582 - my new ones look the same as this but they're Delphi branded.
Old 20th September 2019, 11:54   #7
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

This would work if it didn't have a hole in it https://www.motorsport-tools.com/aut...-unf-3-16.html.
Old 20th September 2019, 12:11   #8
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Agreed, but the alternatives are to fit a blanked off union with the hole filled in with chemical metal compound and simply fitted in place with a tweek to ensure a leak free false joint.
If the cable tie job is to be used it will need to be a Daddy style one where you can get it monster tight (Assumes the hose wont be re-used)

There used to be brake pipe end caps for this very task years ago, but I have checked the usual paces for availability to no avail.
They were treated rubberised caps that arrived in a set to enable almost any application designed to have a temporary seal for such activity, but now it seems to be acceptable to simply make excessive amounts of mess, and waste fluids unnecessarily !
Oh how the times have changed !

Maybe worth a look :
https://creationsmotorsport.com/inde...bung-1217.html
Old 20th September 2019, 12:16   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

you will have to do an almost complete drain anyway, remember your caliper will be empty, so I would just drain it down.

When I replaced my calipers, I had refurbished a second set so I didnt need to have the car off the road, which may be worth considering.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2019, 12:35   #10
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Another idea, assuming the flexi hoses are not to be re-used, simply cut it and insert a bolt in the hole, possibly secure in place using a hose clip tightened up !
Sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face, but goes un-noticed !