Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th June 2019, 20:37   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default A different what's it worth

From time to time the question what's it worth comes up related to our cars or parts for our cars. Whilst I guess it is true, it is worth what anyone will pay for it, there is perhaps some history to look at for the part to give some sort of idea but what if you have the only one?

Lets say you collect Trains. Hornby advertise a train but after they make some the license is pulled and they cannot be sold. All but 1 train is destroyed, years later that 1 and only train goes on the market. How do you decide on a starting price?

Do you just put a silly price on it and see what happens?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 07:20   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I would start high with an expectation of a very high price indeed.

Sadly the clockwork O gauge Hornby set myself and my brother had as kids was left for safekeeping with our Father when we moved out. A lot of track, rolling stock and two engines.

I say sadly because not knowing it’s true value he sold it to a conman who rang his doorbell for a fiver....
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 08:13   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Take the said article and have it valued at a couple of auction houses. If no sentimental value then sell it on. Or keep it and hope the value rises.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 09:43   #4
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Unused, boxed items will be of a higher value too
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 11:34   #5
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I think basically the market does precisely that, pulls a large figure from the air, adds 20% & see if someone bites.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:05   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I guess you only need one or two that have more money then sense and the price will rise if there is a bidding war.

macafee2
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:45   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

If its 1 of 1 then there has to be quite a bit of value. I watched a programme recently where small manufacturers were making their own trains and selling them. A major manufacturer then had an event showcasing their new lines and in a lot of cases were producing the same trains as the smaller company’s, it was quite cut throat. Trains seem from the outside big business so I would approach a lot of the bigger manufacturers and collectors and ask their opinion, this at best will promote the fact that this one train exists and generate greater interest.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:23   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

the train scenario I just made as an example.

macafee2
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:08   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

A thing is worth either

A) Just a little bit more (enough for a significant difference) than the second highest bidder is willing to pay. (note it's not always worth as much as the highest bidder would be willing to pay.)

OR.

B) As much as the seller can successfully ask of a buyer when there is only one possible buyer. But for value judgement refer to A (i.e. if there were two buyers at different levels at what price would the lower buyer give up?).

For initial pricing guesses it's down to experience of the the particular market: if exceedingly rare one-off model trains sell for a tenner then it'll sell for somewhere close to a tenner.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:50   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Another aspect to consider is the knowledge/belief of the items existence if it was a sole survivor of many destroyed.

If no one knew of its existence, without some form of authentication, it will likely be worthless.

If it is known, and even better, spoken about with hushed tones, it will be worth what you price it at (as there will be no others to compare price with, therefore you control its 'value'). If it has changed hands previously, I would suggest a guide of 20 to 30 % added for each year of ownership on top of its last sale price (this would be down to overall desirability and condition of course).

-

The trains example is one I have experience of. More though of accessories. My grandfather left me his collection in his will, and reluctantly I suggested selling (to be able to make sure my mother got a share after being written out of it - the did reconcile though).

He had two cases (of 24 in each) of lighting units for coaches. Hornby dublo, pre 1971. Simple screw in 12v bulb with two wires soldered to them, sealed with original tape, and the case that was opened, each had a tab with 1/6 written on them. The sealed case were all untouched from the factory. One initially was put up for sale. A bidding war started, and the price ended at £25!!! From 99p. Because we had so many, the first bidder was given it at the second highest bid, with the second bidder, given a second chance offer, and each offered more. (They bought 10 between them!). After this they were Ll listed as buy it now, at the second highest bistro (£24). Shockingly, all 48 sold within about 2 months! I have seen none since.

So if there is no precedent, set one.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote