Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2019, 18:14   #1
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Front headlight (right side) dead, but still works???

Distinguished and fine gentlemen,

I used the search but I am still not 100% sure.

This very morning, when I put the lights on, a yellow bubble via the notification center appeared.

I could clearly see that my light was bright on the left side. Not on the right side anymore. On the parking lot I was checking it. I expected that the right bulb was dead. But there is like 30% light on it.

What would you gentlemen do?

1) Is it hard to change the bulb? A youtube video would be awesome.

2) Which bulb do I have to buy?

I don't want to send my car to the mechanic for a bulb.

So any idea is highly appreciated.

I thank you very much,
RoverLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 18:34   #2
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

It's apparently a pretty easy job - I need to fit a new headlight bulb in my car actually, i'll do it at the weekend.

Found a link to another forum thread about changing headlights Which should help you.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=93922

You said there's still around 30% light left in one of the light clusters - There's 2 bulbs in each cluster on the facelift model, one for the sidelights and a brighter one for the dipped lights, has one of these failed or are both lights working but one is dimmer? Best cause of action is replacing the bulb anyway, they're cheap and that will usually solve your problems.

It would be very wise to invest in a haynes manual for the 75, they always have the answer to simple things such as changing bulbs.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 18:56   #3
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrycai View Post
It's apparently a pretty easy job - I need to fit a new headlight bulb in my car actually, i'll do it at the weekend.

Found a link to another forum thread about changing headlights Which should help you.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=93922

You said there's still around 30% light left in one of the light clusters - There's 2 bulbs in each cluster on the facelift model, one for the sidelights and a brighter one for the dipped lights, has one of these failed or are both lights working but one is dimmer? Best cause of action is replacing the bulb anyway, they're cheap and that will usually solve your problems.

It would be very wise to invest in a haynes manual for the 75, they always have the answer to simple things such as changing bulbs.
I am so thankful, that you took time and effort to help me out.

My goal is no notification on my precious Rover 75.

You will laugh, but I have no clue why cars have 2 bulbs on a cluster. I know of course 1 is needed when it gets dark to light. Sure. But I never knew why a second one. Sorry for that sir.

Well, to answer your question. The bigger one of the 2 is falling. the smaller ones and not on. I have no clue how to turn them on.

Thanks for the link! I will check that out and buy a bulb and install it also on the weekend, fine sir.
Old 14th February 2019, 19:10   #4
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

When you turn the light switch to position 1, that is side lights only, small bulb wedge type w5w. The next turn of the switch is low beam, depending on your type of lights, H7.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 19:17   #5
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
When you turn the light switch to position 1, that is side lights only, small bulb wedge type w5w. The next turn of the switch is low beam, depending on your type of lights, H7.
I love to learn new things.

It sounds weird. There is 0, means lights are out, right? Then I can turn to 1 for side lights (whatever that is). I never used that. I only use 2. To turn on the light when it get dark or when I drive in the morning.

Please guys, don't laugh. I know. These are things that must be regular. But I never understood that.

Thank you
Old 14th February 2019, 19:22   #6
suzublu
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverLord View Post
I love to learn new things.

It sounds weird. There is 0, means lights are out, right? Then I can turn to 1 for side lights (whatever that is). I never used that. I only use 2. To turn on the light when it get dark or when I drive in the morning.

Please guys, don't laugh. I know. These are things that must be regular. But I never understood that.

Thank you
Side lights are used just as it's getting dark so the car can be seen, not to illuminate the road
Old 14th February 2019, 19:26   #7
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

The term 'side lights' is mainly used in the UK and most probably known as parking lights in other countries - they're just low wattage bulbs that can be left on if the car is parked somewhere very dark so that other road users can see that it's there.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 19:28   #8
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Side lights are used just as it's getting dark so the car can be seen, not to illuminate the road
Thanks Suzublu. I always had high respect for cars.

And now it makes sense I remember seeing many cars in the south of France or Italy doing this, while parking on small side roads. Now it makes sense. So that motorbikes can see them in the dark!

Perfect!

And your picture? Mine, at the very left side (the bigger bulb), the bulb is like 30%. I will buy a new one and install it!

Thanks for your information! I learnt something new today, which I appreciate a lot! even simple stupid things like that!
Old 14th February 2019, 19:29   #9
RoverLord
Regular poster

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarsailor View Post
The term 'side lights' is mainly used in the UK and most probably known as parking lights in other countries - they're just low wattage bulbs that can be left on if the car is parked somewhere very dark so that other road users can see that it's there.
See, my friend? And I was thinking all those years that these lights are used as fog lights? Shame on me
Old 14th February 2019, 19:35   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

Two more things for you, if you put the indicator stalk down for the left turn, or right turn, then turn off the ignition, the sidelight stays on for that side, night time parking
And if you turn off the engine, leaving the lights on, and then turn them off, they will stay lit for 20 seconds so you can see the way to your front door

http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com...nersmanual.pdf

Last edited by suzublu; 14th February 2019 at 19:38..