Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2018, 21:49   #41
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Driving standards in the Uk are relatively good on an international scale but the condition of and congestion on our roads exacerbates any inconsiderate behaviour. Motorways highlight the contrast between good and bad driving because there are relatively few variables i.e. all the vehicles are going in the same direction at a similar speed. Bad driving on motorways has a compound affect so one vehicle being driven inconsiderately can affect the traffic flow of a hundred vehicles behind. Motorways are the greatest argument for autonomous cars in my opinion for this reason. And because motorway driving is so tiresome.
Old 21st December 2018, 00:01   #42
Andy_with_a_screwdriver
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yeah had this earlier on this evening, driving on the CME in Newcastle.

Woman in a Nissan Juke with super bright DRLs, didn't realise she had no light on, so I made a point of flashing my lights at her.

I came off the same sliproad as her, and she was turning left, and I right, so as I pulled alongside, I wound down my window and tooted my horn.

It was as if I was invisible, she was looking straight ahead with blinkers on, so as the traffic was at a standstill, I actually got out of the car and rapped on the window of her car.

She looked at me miming winding the window down in what can be described as utter confusion, so I shouted loudly through the closed window at her that she was driving without her lights on.

Not a glimmer of anything resembling common sense, and off she drove still with no lights on, you couldn't make it up

My wife was sitting in the passenger seat, and couldn't believe the complete stupidity of it all, so that's my rant, DRL's and instrument packs that illuminate even with the lights turned off.

Brian
Almost identical situation I had a few weeks back. After filling the van with diesel at Sainsbury's I followed a couple in a Golf onto the exit roundabout inside Sainsbury's car park. There were no rear lights on it but a couple of brightly showing LEDS at the front. As we sat side by side at the traffic lights waiting to exit onto the main road I thought I would let them know. I wound my window down, gave a friendy wave and tooted the horn. No response. I tried again with the horn and when they looked I motioned to wind the window down, nothing other than the bloke looking p***ed off and shaking his head "no".
I was loosing patience so I then shouted with a hint of annoyance "You haven't put your lights on", slowly the penny dropped and then a faint wave of acknowledgement and he switched them on.
I thought his Mrs might wind the window down and thank me, pigs might!

I wish I hadn't bothered, let them get pulled in next time if that's their attitude.
Andy_with_a_screwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 10:23   #43
flying_pig
I believe i can fly

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogodon View Post
Done a lot of motorway and dual carridgway miles this week ( M1, M25, M4 and A45 ).

SWMBO says I'm starting to suffer from GOMS (grumpy old man syndrome) as I expressed my irritation (frequently according to her) of drivers at junctions, who just before the exit slip road who are in the outside lanes, intead of dropping in behind you and exiting, decide to put their foot down, overtake you and then "swoop" across your lane, frequently cutting you up, and exiting at the last second before they miss the junction.

Also in heavy traffic and roadworks those who weave between lanes over and undertaking.

Also frequently seem to be executive type cars with a 3 or 4 letter brand name.

Rant over
I do undertake a lot on roadworks legally limited to two lanes having no other choice as some hugging middle lane doing 45mph or less
flying_pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 13:02   #44
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Being pulled over by plod. Travelling back from the Brother in laws one Saturday night, an old red ford passed us in the middle lane. It stayed in the middle lane ,no traffic in the near side lane for as far as you could see. Few miles later a police car passed us by. When after about 2 miles, we saw a blue light in the distance. It was on the hard shoulder having pulled up the red ford. That’s karma for you. I hope they got a heavy fine.
Old 21st December 2018, 13:40   #45
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I try to turn my frustration around when it comes to people who stick to the middle lane - they are lacking in confidence and are frightened, not daring to change lane.
That is the real reason - people think if you stick in the middle lane you will be safer because you won't have to do anything dramatic like change lanes. Everyone's seen these people, hands at 10 to 2 and almost rigid with fear..
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2018, 15:35   #46
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
That is the real reason - people think if you stick in the middle lane you will be safer because you won't have to do anything dramatic like change lanes. Everyone's seen these people, hands at 10 to 2 and almost rigid with fear..
I used to have to operate a van which had a small laboratory on board, and need an assistant. The assistant was driving us back to the office one day, middle lane of the motorway, nothing on the inside lane. When I questioned our positioning the reply was "it's too dangerous to stay on the inside lane". Due to my demand I drove us back.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:18   #47
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
I used to have to operate a van which had a small laboratory on board, and need an assistant. The assistant was driving us back to the office one day, middle lane of the motorway, nothing on the inside lane. When I questioned our positioning the reply was "it's too dangerous to stay on the inside lane". Due to my demand I drove us back.
I don't know why Fred, but that just conjured up this in the back of my mind......

LINK
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2018, 07:37   #48
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I don't know why Fred, but that just conjured up this in the back of my mind......

LINK
Most appropriate to the thread in that it's another way to describe "having had a skinful"
Old 22nd December 2018, 22:59   #49
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_pig View Post
I do undertake a lot on roadworks legally limited to two lanes having no other choice as some hugging middle lane doing 45mph or less
I tend to drive and keep in the left hand lane a lot lately, driving at the speed limit and passing a stream of cars in the middle lane. As I am merely driving in my lane at the speed of the cars way way in front of me, I am not undertaking but passing on the left. There is a difference.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2018, 00:37   #50
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Just done a journey to and from Brum today, about 220 miles, with over 200 on motorways. Got back tonight, just after midnight. My normal discipline as to lanes and positioning, but did an estimate that though I was around the maximum speed limit all the way back, 80% of vehicles I encountered, were those overtaking me - thank goodness for rules and regulations.