Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15th March 2018, 19:32   #111
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I was backpacking around France at the time on a 2 week holiday and was told to remove the Union Jack from the back pack for my own safety. I remember how much the French hated the Brits and thought there was no chance of myself getting laid on my travels. Gosh, that is going back some.
!

Your comment brings back fond memories of my drives to a number of European countries via France, regularly stopping off at Chateau here and there en-route.

My introduction to serious and substantial romance occurred somewhat unexpectedly in a magnificent chateau in beautiful French countryside.

None of this would have happened had it not been for the EU.
Old 16th March 2018, 09:35   #112
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

How do you charge someone a fiver to take a picture of a field?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 16th March 2018, 21:00   #113
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Been reading in the news that UK is planning to open its borders in the event of a Brexit no deal, whilst on the continent they are preparing the infrastructure for custom checks. So much for getting control over our borders!
Old 17th March 2018, 06:15   #114
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Oh dear - looks like someone is confusing “open borders” for people with open borders for trade.

This scenario would only play out if EU negotiators refuse to play a sensible “game” and the U.K. crashes out - the so called hard Brexit.

In that event - having open borders for trade - would put those countries with a trading border with the U.K. in a very difficult position as they would most likely be forced to break their own EU rules.

I suspect this is all pure brinkmanship.

Which as John says above - is all part of the game - but lept upon by those with a “glass half empty” agenda.
Old 17th March 2018, 06:59   #115
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Well, I'm quite shocked by the comments that the EU negotiators aren't playing a sensible game.

Please consider the facts. We Britain helped to design the single market legal order and now want to blame the EU for defending it. We also signed up to Interlaken here's a snippet:

The third principle is that any relationship must be based on “a balance of benefits and obligations”. It is not for the non-member state to choose only those aspects of EU integration it likes. Relationships have to involve a balance. And, in practice, that balance is generally tipped very much towards the EU’s interests.

IMO: It has to be a hard Brexit with tough border on NI, new tariffs, border delays, Kent's motorways chock a block etc.. there is no choice.

The government should have had a suitable blueprint by now for Brexit after all, it's been 2 years since the vote. IMO it does not have one.
Old 17th March 2018, 07:17   #116
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymotor View Post
Well, I'm quite shocked by the comments that the EU negotiators aren't playing a sensible game.

Please consider the facts. We Britain helped to design the single market legal order and now want to blame the EU for defending it. We also signed up to Interlaken here's a snippet:

The third principle is that any relationship must be based on “a balance of benefits and obligations”. It is not for the non-member state to choose only those aspects of EU integration it likes. Relationships have to involve a balance. And, in practice, that balance is generally tipped very much towards the EU’s interests.

IMO: It has to be a hard Brexit with tough border on NI, new tariffs, border delays, Kent's motorways chock a block etc.. there is no choice.

The government should have had a suitable blueprint by now for Brexit after all, it's been 2 years since the vote. IMO it does not have one.
I agree, up until now the EU has won every round, the U.K. has had to give in at every stage, I dont think this will change. A hard Brexit is now a real possibility. I do still have some faith in our parliamentary democracy. If the majority of MPs see a cliff edge coming, they will vote against it. We may yet at the final hour get another referendum on accepting a deal or not. The one thing I know is that the sane people who voted for Brexit, didn't vote to get poorer.
Old 17th March 2018, 11:16   #117
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'm wondering what Pariament are actually voting on when the "deal" comes to them?

If the negotiations after months & months of wrangling come up with deal "A" what options are there to vote on?

Accept Deal "A" or what? Go back and try to negotiate again (I thought there was a legal time limit which will have expired)? No deal? WTO rules? Something else?

I'm at something of a loss about this "Parliament will get to vote on the deal" thing.

Looking forward to some clarity from those more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks.

Andy.

PS I fully expect those on the gravy train to be as difficult as possible to try and ensure they remain on it. After all, looking after No. 1 is the absolute priority and, as mentioned in other threads, to hell with everyone else.

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
Old 17th March 2018, 11:20   #118
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I believe it's 'deal A' or nothing. It'll be a straight yes or no vote in parliament.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
Old 17th March 2018, 11:41   #119
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
I agree, up until now the EU has won every round, the U.K. has had to give in at every stage, I dont think this will change. A hard Brexit is now a real possibility. I do still have some faith in our parliamentary democracy. If the majority of MPs see a cliff edge coming, they will vote against it. We may yet at the final hour get another referendum on accepting a deal or not. The one thing I know is that the sane people who voted for Brexit, didn't vote to get poorer.
Really !! - and yet the Times and City wire only recently reported that the EU “backed down” on the U.K. being able to negotiate and sign trade deals during the interim period.

When are the committed glass half empty brigade going to realise it is a negotiation not something now to be won or lost.

What was up for “winning or losing” was the Referendum.

Now that result is known those that felt they got the “wrong” result and now whine and whinge about it take comfort in spinning anything and everything towards a negative point of view.
Old 17th March 2018, 13:44   #120
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Really !! - and yet the Times and City wire only recently reported that the EU “backed down” on the U.K. being able to negotiate and sign trade deals during the interim period.

When are the committed glass half empty brigade going to realise it is a negotiation not something now to be won or lost.

What was up for “winning or losing” was the Referendum.

Now that result is known those that felt they got the “wrong” result and now whine and whinge about it take comfort in spinning anything and everything towards a negative point of view.
Worth repeating:
Imagine the Brexiter outrage if Remain had won with 52%, and then Remainers wanted a Hard Remain with EU superstate integration, Schengen, Euro currency, EU army - while paying £50 billion to obtain this.
Closed Thread