Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th August 2015, 19:33   #1
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

Default Dull paintwork, Atlantic Blue...

...so I've bought a 75 Connoisseur V6 auto in Atlantic Blue. It's been standing for over a year, its last MOT was in November 2013 since when it has done 18 (yes - not a typing error) miles. There are a few parking dings, which need looking at, and the paintwork is... well... dull. I spent an hour yesterday attacking half the bonnet with G3 scratch remover (it appears a cat had been calling it "home"!), followed by Poorboys SSR1 and Meguiars Ultimate Wax. It's shiny, but somehow, just seems to lack depth. I swear by Poorboys Black Hole on my Black Pearl ZT, but am loath to attack the 75 with it... any recommendations on a polish to make it shine like a new 'un again?

Ta in advance.
1965cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 21:57   #2
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

A paint correction is best I say to get the best out of it. Do you have access to a machine polisher?

Did you clay it also? That also makes a difference.

I would clay the full car followed by detarrng it and remove iron deposits from it then machine polish followed by a wax or sealant.
Ravinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2015, 22:55   #3
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Atlantic blue will never have as much depth as pearl black as depth is more noticeable in darker colours! Can still get glossy and relatively deep though, as above a full decontamination will work wonders and then a machine can really really improve clarity and depth
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2015, 13:45   #4
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

I've got a rotary polisher, I've got a few stone chips and a couple of parking dings to touch up following which I'm going to give it an "all over" polish. I did the bonnet over with a clay mitt, haven't done it with a clay bar yet, might have a stab at that this weekend and see if it makes a huge difference.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:11   #5
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I've heard good things about clay mitt so if you're happy with the job don't bother going over the same spot again. You can normally just tell by feeling it by hand if the paintwork is smooth or not. I've always used a clay bar myself but the mitts seem to have positive reviews. A clay bar will take a lot longer. Took me 8 hours to clay the whole of my 75. The amount of **** that came off was unreal. By far the worst car I've clayed.
Ravinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015, 11:36   #6
1965cap
Regular poster

MG ZT120/Rover 75

I clayed the ZT last year using a clay bar... it took me 2 days. The mitt, whilst not resulting in the glassy finish given by the bar, gave a finish which stood up to all but the closest inspection... and it takes about an hour and a half to do. I may still do it with the bar initially, and use the mitt as "top-up" as I have with the ZT... it's my "on call" weekend this weekend so I won't be able to go far, so weather permitting, I may well attack it...