Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th January 2023, 19:22   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Anyone a Peloton user?

If you are a Peloton user, how do you find it?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 20:34   #2
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
If you are a Peloton user, how do you find it?

macafee2

Fine. Good during the winter when it is not much fun cycling outdoors
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 20:51   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Fine. Good during the winter when it is not much fun cycling outdoors
Cheers. Do you have any interaction with the instructors or other members?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2023, 20:55   #4
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Cheers. Do you have any interaction with the instructors or other members?

macafee2
I do not have any live interaction with instructors as I tend to do recorded classes. The only interaction with members is if I am have a live leaderboard up and are feeling competitive. But you cannot communicated with them.
Old 5th February 2023, 13:06   #5
Gelen

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for sharing your experience! My grandmother is turning 80 soon. She always cares about her health, monitors her nutrition, and does exercises. But age changes made their adjustments. She can't run anymore and it is hard to do workouts she got used to. Also, she started gaining weight. She still looks great, but I know that nobody wants to get older and feel older. So, we are thinking about buying a Peloton for her as a B-day gift (I also found this article https://betterme.world/articles/losing-weight-after-70/ and decided that it might be a good option). I read that the platform has classes designed for every age, including older users, and that the participants can work out at their own intensity and difficulty level, so the seniors can use it easily.
Do you think this is a good idea? Will it be easy for her to exercise this way?

Last edited by Gelen; 15th February 2023 at 10:26..
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2023, 14:07   #6
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelen View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! My grandmother is turning 80 soon. She always cares about her health, monitors her nutrition, and does exercises. But age changes made their adjustments. She can't run anymore and it is hard to do workouts she got used to. Also, she started gaining weight. She still looks great, but I know that nobody wants to get older and feel older. So, we are thinking about buying a Peloton for her as a B-day gift. I read that the platform has classes designed for every age, including older users, and that the participants can work out at their own intensity and difficulty level, so the seniors can use it easily.
Do you think this is a good idea? Will it be easy for her to exercise this way?

I am coming up to 77 so there is not much differece in our ages. I used to do a lot of competitive running but age meant I stopped racing and was more careful about my joints. Living in the country restricts where you can run in the winter.
Peleton has four different types of rides.
Under "More rides" you have 3 choices:
You can effectively look at a blank screen which will record your resistance and cadence. I have never done that.
Scenic ride where you can choose where you want to ride and it is as you would see if you were cycling outside. Time or distance - I would do time. It records your average cadence and output. This is at your pace and you will see the gradual improvement in your fitness.
Guided scenic rides are the same except you are riding with an instructor who will suggest the cadence and resistance during the ride. If before you start you look at Target Metrics you can see what you are going to be asked to do. From your previous rides you can see how that fits in with your capabilites.
Then there are classes which are held in a studio. I choose to do recorded ones. Again you can look at Target Metrics. Can be more challenging as they tend to change resitance and cadence a fair bit during the class. I tend to stick to a couple of instructors.
Should wear padded shorts. She might struggle to start with the clipless pedals. There is a quickly learnt knack in getting out of them.
Old 15th February 2023, 10:22   #7
Gelen

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
I am coming up to 77 so there is not much differece in our ages. I used to do a lot of competitive running but age meant I stopped racing and was more careful about my joints. Living in the country restricts where you can run in the winter.
Peleton has four different types of rides.
Under "More rides" you have 3 choices:
You can effectively look at a blank screen which will record your resistance and cadence. I have never done that.
Scenic ride where you can choose where you want to ride and it is as you would see if you were cycling outside. Time or distance - I would do time. It records your average cadence and output. This is at your pace and you will see the gradual improvement in your fitness.
Guided scenic rides are the same except you are riding with an instructor who will suggest the cadence and resistance during the ride. If before you start you look at Target Metrics you can see what you are going to be asked to do. From your previous rides you can see how that fits in with your capabilites.
Then there are classes which are held in a studio. I choose to do recorded ones. Again you can look at Target Metrics. Can be more challenging as they tend to change resitance and cadence a fair bit during the class. I tend to stick to a couple of instructors.
Should wear padded shorts. She might struggle to start with the clipless pedals. There is a quickly learnt knack in getting out of them.
Thanks a lot for the detailed answer, I appreciate it!
Gelen is offline   Reply With Quote