Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th October 2019, 10:25   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve42 View Post
I had did a oil and service reset on my 75 mk1 2.5 v6. it has taken the sevice miles to 120 thousand on the box it should take it to 15 thousand miles and the oil miles has gone off the dash. all thats left on the ipk is mls.
After an Oil Service reset, the service display should show 'Inspection 15000' for four seconds and then revert to the odometer reading. Unless I misinterpret what you've said, you seem to expect something else. Certainly the 120,000 is most unusual. It's not the odometer is it?

The service display is only valid for cars driven 15K miles a year or more. Any less than that and you should service it annually. The display for lower mileage cars is pretty meaningless and can be ignored. Resetting the display with a low annual mileage is unnecessary, though I suppose it does tell you which type of service comes next when you follow the MGR servicing schedules.

Details of the service display and it's three messages can be found in this downloadable Handbook: http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com...nersmanual.pdf

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 5th October 2019 at 10:28..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 21:40   #12
Steve42
I really should get out more.......

mg 190+

My concern is that the miles count for the oil change has completely gone off the display. All that's left is mls.
This to me means that the Gunson reset tool has stuffed up.
Now if it can take away the miles counter could it corrupt other parts of the ECU.
Steve42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 10:03   #13
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

The problem with any of these types of tool they are probably made in China by people getting paid next to nothing.

We buy this stuff from the bay or Ali express and plug it into probably the second most valuable thing most of us own and there are bound to be occasional problems.

A friend who runs his own garage has a Snap on code reader diagnostic tool and even that has problems, he was connected to a Focus recently and trying to recode the steering rack, several warning lights came on and the tool shut down and rebooted it self. Luckily on the second go it worked but he reckoned he was worried for a while knowing what jobs like this can cost to remedy.

Some garages now will only do the mechanical work and then take the car to the main dealer for stuff like this as they have been caught in the past.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2019, 15:36   #14
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
All that's left is mls.

So everything except the letters 'mls' on the top row is missing?
Do you not get the trip mileage/odometer/ambient temperature readings after four seconds?

TC
Old 6th October 2019, 20:00   #15
Steve42

mg 190+

Hi ,

On first turn of the key I get inspection miles .
But on the left where it has always shown oil service mls and the miles to the left of the mls is now blank.
So all it shows is the service count no oil count.
After a few seconds I get temp,miles,gear indicator all as it should be. Just taken a pic but it's to large to upload from my phone.

As for the snap on I also have a old one that works well with the 75. But when you ask it to do a service reset tells you to do the wire and pin method.

Found another quirk with the old girl today.if I put my front fog lights on ,I get for a second a red check engine warning message the ipk.

Steve
Old 7th October 2019, 07:33   #16
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
On first turn of the key I get inspection miles .
But on the left where it has always shown oil service mls and the miles to the left of the mls is now blank.
After a few seconds I get temp,miles,gear indicator all as it should be.
Steve,

The main odometer ('1' in the diagram) will show you when either an oil service is due or an inspection. You won't see both at the same time, only whichever type of service is due. It seems to me that this part of your display is working correctly.

'2' in the diagram is the trip odometer. You say that this is 'blank'. Do you mean that there are no numerals there at all, not even 000.0? Have you tried pressing the mechanical reset button?

Regarding your front fog lights, I strongly recommend that you delete that reference and start another thread. If we have some members trying to help you with your instrument pack problem and others with the fog lights/check engine light, this thread is going to descend into chaos.

Simon
Old 7th October 2019, 08:43   #17
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
On first turn of the key I get inspection miles. But on the left where it has always shown oil service mls and the miles to the left of the mls is now blank.
After a few seconds I get temp, miles, gear indicator all as it should be.
Why not read the Handbook I linked to instead of assuming what the screen should say? You'll realise it's working normally.

EDIT: Go to page '76' using the page selector on the PDF GUI. That gives some info which directs you to page '135' where the countdown principle is described. You should also understand the difference between an 'Oil service' and an 'Inspection'. Both require the usual oil/filter renewal, but there are several differences that are probably academic these days. In fact I suspect the whole MGR servicing regimes are now academic. However, if you want to know the differences, you need these:

Column 'A' is the Oil service
Column 'B' is the Inspection routine
Column 'C' is the four yearly service.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 7th October 2019 at 09:16..
Old 9th October 2019, 15:19   #18
Steve42

mg 190+

Default it dont matter now.

hi all ,

service reset dont matter now as i have a bigger problem.
looks like a head gasket has gone.
been haveing to top up evey couple of days for a while now.
when i did the service had a look in the vee and all was dry.
spark plugs looked fine. but on the drivers side front it was wet . have been looking for weeks to see where it was coming from with out any luck.
so today taken it to a mg/rover garage and they could not see where the leak was.
untill the oil cap came off. inside the oil cap there was a few drops of water on the cap . no gunk just a few drops of water. then he stuck his finger in to the top of the engine and draged a little bit of gunk out.
so its looking like head gasket is on its way. only 73 thousand on the clock and runs fine othe than a couple of cups of oat every 3 or 4 days.
thanks for the info and help on the service reset.
Old 9th October 2019, 15:45   #19
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

It's far more likely to be the oil cooler Steve, and may I suggest that we discuss this in a new thread?

Simon
Old 9th October 2019, 15:58   #20
Steve42

mg 190+

nope oil cooler was fine.
may look at some place else I will just keep putting in oat for now .