Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th October 2019, 18:51   #11
Dave6

2002 V6 2.5

Thanks Simon. That's really helpful. I have limited DIY skills so I probably wouldn't want to tackle it. I have a decent local garage so I will see if they can help. How did you go about your fix?
Dave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 18:59   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6 View Post
I have a decent local garage so I will see if they can help. How did you go about your fix?
I renewed two motor brushes but I have to tell you that no garage will be able to do that.

I'd suggest that you send a PM to club member Arctic. He keeps a range of fan spares and may well be able to help you. Club trader Jules, at Colwyn Bay, may also be able to supply a replacement system that your garage can fit.

Simon
Old 4th October 2019, 19:06   #13
Dave6

2002 V6 2.5

Thanks Simon. I will pop down to the garage tomorrow and take it from there. They have used Rimmer Bros for a few other bits and pieces but it's probably more cost effective to get the fan from someone on here. Do you know if a new fan is a 'plug and play?'
Dave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 19:15   #14
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave6 View Post
Do you know if a new fan is a 'plug and play?'
A new MGR fan using the resistor system can replace your 3 speed system without modification, but they are several hundred pounds. To put that into perspective, a set of new brushes is £20.

Jules will sell you an aftermarket system. Your garage will need to follow his instructions on how to wire it to your existing control box. That solution is cheaper but still expensive compared with new brushes.

Simon
Old 4th October 2019, 19:52   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Dave. If you have a trawl through the How-To section on the forum you will find lots of posts, pictures and answers to do with the fan system.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 20:37   #16
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Cycling speed applies only to resistor systems which you don't have. So you can forget about that.

Simon
Interesting, I have personal experience of a three speed fan cycling due to low speed only failing, it was on a members car close to me and I have to admit i was surprised but as I say I have seen it with my own eyes and can confirm 100% it can happen.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2019, 21:23   #17
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Interesting, I have personal experience of a three speed fan cycling due to low speed only failing ...
We both know Dave that the only way this can happen is if the low speed supply brush fails. Then, when the trinary switch calls for medium speed it will run but only at low speed because there are only two brushes in service not three.

I think that what you witnessed was an extraordinary event. Did you dismantle the motor to find out what had actually happened?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 5th October 2019, 06:36   #18
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

It Was on Pab's motor Simon, never got the chance to strip it out and have a look. He wanted it replaced with the two speed version, It was an 04 car and you would have thought it would have been a two speed fan but it was certainly three speed four wire fan that appeared original.

It definitely cycled on and off I have never known another 3 speed fan do this, looking back it was certainly not a high speed.

So I believe your explanation is correct. I also believe that the trinary switch called, the remaining two brushes caused the motor to operate and successfully satisfied the trinarys needs and as such shut down until it reach its threshold again. Hence the cycling.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 12:38   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I also believe that the trinary switch called, the remaining two brushes caused the motor to operate and successfully satisfied the trinarys needs and as such shut down until it reach its threshold again. Hence the cycling.

I hadn't thought about it before, but isn't fan cycling logical for all motors?

Why would a faulty 3-speed fan run at a higher speed to cool the condenser but not trip off when the trinary pressure dropped? The implication is a faulty 3-speed would run continuously at higher speed while ever the aircon was in use.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 13:25   #20
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Why would a faulty 3-speed fan run at a higher speed to cool the condenser but not trip off when the trinary pressure dropped? The implication is a faulty 3-speed would run continuously at higher speed while ever the aircon was in use.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that particular scenario. What is the precise nature of the fan fault which you are considering?

Simon