Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th September 2019, 19:09   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Jules. I have never used flushing oil and think in 99% of cases it’s a waste of money and time. When I was at work I used to change my oil over the pit in the garage if one was available. I decided at around somewhere in the 90,000 miles with my montego diesel, to take the sump off to clean it out. What a waste of time. It looked like a mirror in there. This was when I ran it on straight 30 grade oil, no multigrade oil ever went in it. So if you want to prove me wrong, take your sump off and waste your time. You know I would not give you any bul. By the way how are you now after the sun in Holland?
Old 28th September 2019, 20:22   #12
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Would it be wise to use it before an oil change?
Yes.

The suggestion that it "may" cause engine damage is nonsense. I've used Comma 'Flush Out' periodically for years with absolutely no problems.

The claim that a clean sump proves that flushing oil is unnecessary doesn't take account of the many parts of an engine which cannot be inspected, particularly the hydraulic tappets which from personal experience have benefitted from use of flushing oil.

The claim that it is not necessary with "modern" oils is disproven by the length of time that the new engine lubricating oil remains clean after use of flushing oil.

It's a case of the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Many people will theorise without having the practical experience. So Julien I'd suggest that you give it a try, particularly in your diesel, then make up your own mind.

Simon
Old 28th September 2019, 21:58   #13
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Yes.

The suggestion that it "may" cause engine damage is nonsense. I've used Comma 'Flush Out' periodically for years with absolutely no problems.

The claim that a clean sump proves that flushing oil is unnecessary doesn't take account of the many parts of an engine which cannot be inspected, particularly the hydraulic tappets which from personal experience have benefitted from use of flushing oil.

The claim that it is not necessary with "modern" oils is disproven by the length of time that the new engine lubricating oil remains clean after use of flushing oil.

It's a case of the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Many people will theorise without having the practical experience. So Julien I'd suggest that you give it a try, particularly in your diesel, then make up your own mind.

Simon
I think that advice from someone that is documented not bother to do oil changes as per the service intervals, as well as other critical maintenance, rather invalid.
Your oil would remain cleaner if you chose to adhere to the maintenance schedule (mine does with a KV6).

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 28th September 2019 at 23:26..
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 06:17   #14
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Sorry to ask in someone else's thread. But on a diesel, how often do owners change their oil and filter?

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 06:59   #15
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I think that advice from someone that is documented not bother to do oil changes as per the service intervals, as well as other critical maintenance, rather invalid.
Your oil would remain cleaner if you chose to adhere to the maintenance schedule (mine does with a KV6).
The oil may well stay clean to look at in a KV6, But in a diesel after a change of oil and filter, after a few minutes run to check the level the oil is as black as ever

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 07:02   #16
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I think that advice from someone that is documented not bother to do oil changes as per the service intervals ... rather invalid.
Bob,

I change the engine oil in my cars more frequently than the manufacturers' recommendation, not less as you seem to be suggesting. Your argument therefore doesn't make sense.

Incidentally, I also observe the specified viscosity which many do not.

It's good to know that you're reading my posts and analysing them though.

Simon
Old 29th September 2019, 07:06   #17
SD1too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
... in a diesel after a change of oil and filter, after a few minutes run to check the level the oil is as black as ever
Indeed John and not only in Rovers either. That was my experience with a diesel Citroën I was servicing for a friend.

If you can get Comma Flush Out, or its French equivalent, I would give it a try. Unfortunately I can't guarantee success with a diesel though.

Simon
Old 29th September 2019, 08:19   #18
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Jules. I have never used flushing oil and think in 99% of cases it’s a waste of money and time. When I was at work I used to change my oil over the pit in the garage if one was available. I decided at around somewhere in the 90,000 miles with my montego diesel, to take the sump off to clean it out. What a waste of time. It looked like a mirror in there. This was when I ran it on straight 30 grade oil, no multigrade oil ever went in it. So if you want to prove me wrong, take your sump off and waste your time. You know I would not give you any bul. By the way how are you now after the sun in Holland?
Cheers Dave.it was good to meet you and your buddy we did have a great time, all of us.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 09:39   #19
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Indeed John and not only in Rovers either. That was my experience with a diesel Citroën I was servicing for a friend.

If you can get Comma Flush Out, or its French equivalent, I would give it a try. Unfortunately I can't guarantee success with a diesel though.

Simon
Hi Simon,In all the 56 years of motoring I have never used a Flushing oil and never had a problem with an engine. For a reason I removed the sump of my 188K diesel and found lots of sludge in various pockets of the casting webs even after regular oil changes at half the recommended mileage, I dont think that any amount of flushing would have removed the sludge. That is why I never use it.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 29th September 2019 at 09:41..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 09:54   #20
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
The oil may well stay clean to look at in a KV6, But in a diesel after a change of oil and filter, after a few minutes run to check the level the oil is as black as ever
I agree with you John.
In fact, I would be worried if the oil didn't go quickly black as it shows that the oil is doing it's job.
This is normal for a diesel engine as the oil is designed to put the contamination, from the combustion process, into suspension.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote