Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st September 2019, 08:16   #11
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Morning all,

So I have had the new O rings for well over a week now, but only fitted them yesterday - I had a wisdom tooth removed then had an abscess so was in hospital for 5 days!
Unfortunately, my problem isn't the O rings, but the intercooler. Somehow the locating mounts have broken off allowing it to move.
I've just been for a test drive and the difference was immediate, until I put my foot down. I heard a pop as the elbow came out of the intercooler and saw lots of black smoke again. I had tried to secure the intercooler with cable ties, but obviously it wasn't enough.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement intercooler? I have seen some new ones on ebay, but I'm not sure of the quality. Otherwise I shall be asking Mickyboy for his assistance again!

Thanks,

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019, 10:48   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Morning all,

So I have had the new O rings for well over a week now, but only fitted them yesterday - I had a wisdom tooth removed then had an abscess so was in hospital for 5 days!
Quote:
Unfortunately, my problem isn't the O rings, but the intercooler. Somehow the locating mounts have broken off allowing it to move.
I've just been for a test drive and the difference was immediate, until I put my foot down. I heard a pop as the elbow came out of the intercooler and saw lots of black smoke again. I had tried to secure the intercooler with cable ties, but obviously it wasn't enough.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a replacement intercooler? I have seen some new ones on ebay, but I'm not sure of the quality. Otherwise I shall be asking Mickyboy for his assistance again!

Thanks,

Rob
Hi Rob.
How did you find that the intercooler locating mounts have broken? are you referring to the locating mount either side of the intercooler, to the connecting point that the plastic bends fits to the radiator photo's below.

The area marked by orange dots here the condenser is still in situ.

This photo shows the condenser removed again marked by red dots, note the three red dots is that the bracket that as broken? or the intercooler locating pegs them selves.

Two the side of the intercooler pipe entering & one the other side

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019, 15:09   #13
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Arctic,

It's the locating pegs that locate the intercooler that have broken. The elbow itself is OK.

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Old 1st September 2019, 16:41   #14
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Arctic,

It's the locating pegs that locate the intercooler that have broken. The elbow itself is OK.

Rob
Hi Rob
That is most unusual for the locating pegs/rings to give way, as the car a a knock in that area at sometime then ? & the elbow is still securely attached to the radiator bracket.

You could always try and insert a couple of grub screws into the and through the intercooler where the bend inserts into it, thus stopping the bend from popping out and exposing the O-rings for now until you can get hold of another intercooler from Mickyboy.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 1st September 2019, 18:58   #15
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:

Thanks,

Rob

I would recommend getting a good second hand one from Mickeyboy.
I’ve tried one of the eBay ones. Although the quality was excellent, the way the car drive was altered, slightly underpowered.
I think it’s to do with different volumes of intercoolers.
I have a nice shiney one sitting in the garage, getting in my way.🙄

See previous thread...
Diesel intercooler query
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...3&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019, 20:52   #16
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I think I shall pick up a 2nd hand one, unfortunately Mickyboy doesn't have any at the moment though.
Although I could put a couple of screws in the joint to hold it as Arctic suggested, I think a replacement would be better - I can give it a good clean before fitting it next week.

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 1st September 2019, 22:35   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Try one of the other traders on the forum.

Tim JMGRs / cossie dunc. trikey, etc

ad altiora tendo.

Old 6th September 2019, 07:33   #18
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Morning all,

I sourced a replacement intercooler which I fitted last night. I gave it a good clean Tuesday when it was delivered, it wasn't as bad as I feared fortunately.
It is so nice to now be able to accelerate 7 to not be leaving a dense smoke screen behind me!

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 6th September 2019, 09:07   #19
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Morning all,

I sourced a replacement intercooler which I fitted last night. I gave it a good clean Tuesday when it was delivered, it wasn't as bad as I feared fortunately.
It is so nice to now be able to accelerate 7 to not be leaving a dense smoke screen behind me!

Rob[/QUOTE
]

Hi Rob.
Nice to hear you got the intercooler sorted out, do you have a photo of the damaged intercooler you could post up for members to see please cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 6th September 2019, 17:55   #20
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I'll try to get some pictures over the weekend. The two lugs had broken off somehow, it looks like one had broken before and been glued on back on.

Rob

MODS DONE;