Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2019, 13:09   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Will 1.8T Dampers Fit On A CDTi ?

So i'm wanting to renew all four dampers on my ZT CDTi and also fit lowering springs. Of course I know they will fit.
My question is, is it safe to fit brand new ZT dampers for the 1.8T to the ZT diesel? Surely they will be better than my 16yr old ones ??

It boils down to cost and availability really. I know Mat sells the complete assemblies from China but Rimmer Brothers also have original stock.

Im guessing it would sit a little lower as the 1.8T damper would have a lower compression pressure, but would it be safe?
How much difference is there in weight?
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 13:18   #2
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

The dampers don't determine ride height, the springs do that. The front springs for the CDTI have a higher spring rate than the 1.8 to cope with the engine weight, I suspect the rears are also different in order to balance with the front. The dampers have different damping parameters to suit the spring rate and the mass being supported by the strut assembly, Using 1.8 dampers with cdti springs may lead to a very bouncy ride (i.e. underdamped). Whether or not that would still be better than the aging dampers in place?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 13:24   #3
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
The dampers don't determine ride height, the springs do that. The front springs for the CDTI have a higher spring rate than the 1.8 to cope with the engine weight, I suspect the rears are also different in order to balance with the front. The dampers have different damping parameters to suit the spring rate and the mass being supported by the strut assembly, Using 1.8 dampers with cdti springs may lead to a very bouncy ride (i.e. underdamped). Whether or not that would still be better than the aging dampers in place?
Thanks for the reply. This is what I am wanting to establish.
I'll be fitting lowering springs anyway which many people do to all kinds of dampers without too much trouble.
I'm wanting to know if a 1.8T damper with a CDTi specific lowering spring would be a safe combo
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 14:49   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonite View Post
Thanks for the reply. This is what I am wanting to establish.

I'll be fitting lowering springs anyway which many people do to all kinds of dampers without too much trouble.

I'm wanting to know if a 1.8T damper with a CDTi specific lowering spring would be a safe combo
I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but I imagine with the lighter engine (overall mass difference if I recall was 200kg?), heavy braking is where you would notice it most. I would think the weight transfer would be heavier than it needed to be. That s just my thinking of it rather than any basis in fact.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 15:21   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

IMHO, using the wrong new dampers from a lighter car, as opposed using the correct new dampers: it'll handle like a bouncy castle. If you're fitting lowering springs for handling improvements then with the wrong dampers you'd be wasting your time (with less spring travel you need higher and more progressive compression damping). If you're doing it for looks it may not matter much to you and would pass MOT - depends on what your measure of 'safe' is I suppose. Myself, I wouldn't except maybe as an experiment. If you're willing to test it out and change again if necessary then give it a try.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2019, 15:33   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

The rear of the car will be fine, I wouldn’t use 1.8 on the front of a diesel though, even with the lowering springs.
Old 1st March 2019, 08:35   #7
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

In the event of a serious accident, what would the police and insurers make of a car with non-standard lowered springs and incorrect dampers?
Sorry to be a kill-joy but these things can and do happen. Accident probably won't even be your fault.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 10:03   #8
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The difference in damping will only be slightly softer, no more than having a partly worn shock absorber on the car

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 10:32   #9
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I fitted a set of front spring assemblies from Matt onto my V6 with no adverse effect.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 12:33   #10
rambo67

MG ZT-T MG ZT Saloon

I too am looking at replacing the front strut assemblies on my ZT-T derv … I have one leaking front shocker so obviously gonna replace both sides . A few years ago I had to fit aftermarket front springs as an emergency measure so now wanna fit correct (ish) springs . As the whole strut complete is available from Matt it makes sense to replace everything in one hit . Its quoted as being about 7mm lower than standard which I can live with , its just the damping effect I'm concerned about ???
MGF 1.8 1999 MK2
rambo67 is offline   Reply With Quote