Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2019, 08:05   #51
Ross R75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post

And guess how many of the cheap chargers do not have one! Also, if it does, can you trust it to act like a fuse?

Similarly, the cheap £2.89 DVM's. They are OK for simple tasks, but they are no Fluke 77!

Ditto cheap PC power supplies which are the closest item to a modern charger in terms of functionality. Many of them are dangerous!
Good job each and every one of our cars came with a couple of boxes of the things then. Quite trustworthy too from what I hear
Old 19th February 2019, 08:09   #52
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
Good job each and every one of our cars came with a couple of boxes of the things then. Quite trustworthy too from what I hear

They are bulk current devices which do very little to nothing to dampen transients which I would consider to be the main threat to a car's semiconductor components.

ps as I said earlier, if a person considers the alternative views and makes a decision to buy a cheap charger, great. But, it is worth considering whether the additional cost of a well designed charger from a company that has a heritage in designing such leading edge devices and one that exudes quality is really that significant.

ps2 as I said earlier, I have no concerns about using my cheap charger on the 20 year-old ride-on mower which has no electronics other than the internal regulator.

Last edited by MSS; 19th February 2019 at 08:17..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 08:49   #53
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
My concern with the cheap items - which are cheap for a reason which is that they use cheap components and have not invested in RD&D - is the integrity of car's electronics in the case of failures rather than the battery. I consider batteries to be consumable/scarificial items and never hesitate to change a battery.

As I said earlier, compare the lifespan of Infenion MOSFETS and other semiconductor components with their copies or equivalents from certain parts of the world, then the price differences, and you will soon know a) why the some chargers can be purchased for circa £15 and b) why others cost circa £60.

The LIDL and ALDI chargers are very good value, in that they are equivalent to £20 chargers but are sold for £13. If you are happy with such a device, great.

But, always ask yourself, with a modern car's electronics worth £5k to £20k, is the difference between £13 and £60 material?

As it happens, I bought my third CTEK 2 weeks ago - a MSX 5.0. So now I have 3* CTEK, 1* Optimate and 1* LIDL plus a traditional non-auto 4A/8A Halfords device. The CTEK is worth every penny when you look at it's design, construction and quality of materials.
I knew there must be a good reason why you couldn't afford to renew your subs this year Maninder

I have a Lidl "ultimate speed" smart charger, and it's perfectly fine with any of my cars, which are all fitted with either Bosch or Varta "normal" lead acid batteries.

When I bought it, the first thing I did was to open it up to look inside, the pick and place was excellent, the PCB was of decent quality, as was the flow soldering, the quality of the components was in no way inferior to the Jaguar branded "Optimate" opened up for comparison.

It is disingenuous to compare these with cheap Chinese ATX switch mode PSU, it is simply not a valid comparison.

There is a reason these units are cheap, mainly as the middle aisle is considered a "loss leader" to entice shoppers in to the store.

My background is electronics based, so I feel suitably qualified to comment, without feeling the need for snobbery

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 09:14   #54
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I knew there must be a good reason why you couldn't afford to renew your subs this year Maninder

I have a Lidl "ultimate speed" smart charger, and it's perfectly fine with any of my cars, which are all fitted with either Bosch or Varta "normal" lead acid batteries.

When I bought it, the first thing I did was to open it up to look inside, the pick and place was excellent, the PCB was of decent quality, as was the flow soldering, the quality of the components was in no way inferior to the Jaguar branded "Optimate" opened up for comparison.

It is disingenuous to compare these with cheap Chinese ATX switch mode PSU, it is simply not a valid comparison.

There is a reason these units are cheap, mainly as the middle aisle is considered a "loss leader" to entice shoppers in to the store.

My background is electronics based, so I feel suitably qualified to comment, without feeling the need for snobbery

Brian

Come on Brian, I remember how you displayed a picture of your Keithly with great pride - very high quality item indeed.

The reason you give for the units being cheap is correct only insofar that they are sold for £20 to £25 in many other places and £13 in the supermarkets in question. I already stated this above.

What were the manufacturers of the key semiconductor components in your charger?

The basic problem these days is that people delude themselves that they can buy quality on the cheap and as a result the market is flooded with rubbish

of all sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
No - it's because car repairs are so expensive these day. But I'm told you do these things for your friends. Here's waiting with a long list.

ps, my latest CTEK is so nice, I could sit here fondling it all day. In fact, I feel that I am getting my money's worth before even charging a single battery with it!

As for snobbery, I still use my son's old Smasung S3 mini mobile phone. None of these gold plated fancy iPhone thingies that cost more than two Rover 75's here!

Last edited by MSS; 19th February 2019 at 10:32..
Old 19th February 2019, 12:00   #55
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

A wise move as a precaution, until the supply network is moved away from Jonny Foreigner to British ownership.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 12:07   #56
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

More on topic...
What do the car's electronics have to do with the battery charger? Maybe the CTek or optimate will say they are safe to connect while the battery is connected on the car? Very few chargers will. Unfortunately I don't know if the cheap and practical charger say it's ok, or, if they say the battery must be disconnected from the vehicle (lost the leaflet). On the Bike it's fine - the only component at risk without the ign on is the regulator and I take the risk - the replacement is available and isn't that expensive (no more than the cost of a battery). On the car I wouldn't connect any charger with the +ve lead connected to the car electronics, period. There's far too many modules that should be in sleep mode with the ign off that might not take kindly to the sort of voltage changes and cycling of a modern battery charger.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 12:13   #57
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post

A wise move as a precaution, until the supply network is moved away from Jonny Foreigner to British ownership.

Most likely, form "Johny Foreigner" to 外国人 (Laowai) ownership.

Let's not turn this into a political thread - especially as I would be "Johny Foreigner" in some peoples' eyes!
Old 19th February 2019, 12:20   #58
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
More on topic...
What do the car's electronics have to do with the battery charger? Maybe the CTek or optimate will say they are safe to connect while the battery is connected on the car? Very few chargers will. Unfortunately I don't know if the cheap and practical charger say it's ok, or, if they say the battery must be disconnected from the vehicle (lost the leaflet). On the Bike it's fine - the only component at risk without the ign on is the regulator and I take the risk - the replacement is available and isn't that expensive (no more than the cost of a battery). On the car I wouldn't connect any charger with the +ve lead connected to the car electronics, period. There's far too many modules that should be in sleep mode with the ign off that might not take kindly to the sort of voltage changes and cycling of a modern battery charger.

I do just that, as do many other people. I do so with 100% confidence, due to the quality of the design and the quality of the protection components in my CTEK and Optimate. Given the number of vehicles that I own, more time is spent by each vehicle in this mode than any other because I just leave the maintenance chargers connected permanently most of the time.

In fact, mrs MSS' Twintop toy has been permanently connected to a CTEK since October awaiting cabriolet weather.
Old 19th February 2019, 12:22   #59
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Most likely, form "Johny Foreigner" to 外国人 (Laowai) ownership.

Let's not turn this into a political thread - especially as I would be "Johny Foreigner" in some peoples' eyes!

Yes, I agree.

I took your post as a light hearted joke, rather than political.
Perhaps, you can do the same with mine?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2019, 12:27   #60
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Good brand Maypole, famous in the caravan and towing world. But then again the body design seems to be generic, same mouldings as many other names being sold. Not many carry the inline fuse though, nice little touch.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote