Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2019, 02:26   #1
buchanan
Buchanan

Rover 75 connoisseur se ctdi Auto

Smile Engine Disaster

I was on my way to my sister in laws in Knottingley, Yorkshire i was in the outside lane of the A1(M) when a strange noise came from the engine, i decided to go over and park on the lay by. Just before i got to the inside lane i heard a clicking noise from the engine, i had just straightened up on the lay by when the engine cut out on low oil pressure, if it had cut out a few seconds before this i would have been in big trouble, with Lorries speeding down on me.
I rang the AA, that was fun trying to get the AA guy to understand my details, then explaining were i was, i tough telling him 12.5 miles South of Scotch Corner on the A1(M) would have been simple enough. Anyway AA sent a private tow truck, and as i was going to Knottingley, i contacted a garage in Pontefract who said they would have a look at the car.
They had a look, and said the Lub Oil Pump drive chain had snapped and that the crankshaft was broken. I left it with them, and was lucky to source an engine through a Rover site on Face book in Hartlepool, next morning the garage said they had sourced an eco engine thru Euro Parts cost £1600, i declined and asked if they knew someone who could transport the car to Hartlepool, they gave me a contact and he came and picked the car up Cost £130 to transport the car.
I was delighted that the guy doing the work was a Rover guy who knew what he was doing, i made it a longer job as i asked that the Fw Pump, Thermostat, Crankshaft Pulley, and other new parts on my engine were changed over to the replacement engine, also asked for oil and filter change in Engine and Gearbox. I got a hire car for three days via the AA, a Toyota Yaris Hybrid, what an experience that was, but it got me to Grimsby were i was going to a Function.
I travelled up to Hartlepool and stayed in a Hotel until the car was ready, was delighted with the job that was done and drove home to Belfast. If the engine had gone at home i could have picked up one with only 52,000 miles but i am not that lucky.
Anyway all in with the work on the car, and Hotel bills, and Ferry changes it cost me £1084, but i have had a serious chat with the car and told it , any more like this it will get the Basil Fawlty treatment.
buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 09:23   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchanan View Post
I was on my way to my sister in laws in Knottingley, Yorkshire i was in the outside lane of the A1(M) when a strange noise came from the engine, i decided to go over and park on the lay by. Just before i got to the inside lane i heard a clicking noise from the engine, i had just straightened up on the lay by when the engine cut out on low oil pressure, if it had cut out a few seconds before this i would have been in big trouble, with Lorries speeding down on me.
I rang the AA, that was fun trying to get the AA guy to understand my details, then explaining were i was, i tough telling him 12.5 miles South of Scotch Corner on the A1(M) would have been simple enough. Anyway AA sent a private tow truck, and as i was going to Knottingley, i contacted a garage in Pontefract who said they would have a look at the car.
They had a look, and said the Lub Oil Pump drive chain had snapped and that the crankshaft was broken. I left it with them, and was lucky to source an engine through a Rover site on Face book in Hartlepool, next morning the garage said they had sourced an eco engine thru Euro Parts cost £1600, i declined and asked if they knew someone who could transport the car to Hartlepool, they gave me a contact and he came and picked the car up Cost £130 to transport the car.
I was delighted that the guy doing the work was a Rover guy who knew what he was doing, i made it a longer job as i asked that the Fw Pump, Thermostat, Crankshaft Pulley, and other new parts on my engine were changed over to the replacement engine, also asked for oil and filter change in Engine and Gearbox. I got a hire car for three days via the AA, a Toyota Yaris Hybrid, what an experience that was, but it got me to Grimsby were i was going to a Function.
I travelled up to Hartlepool and stayed in a Hotel until the car was ready, was delighted with the job that was done and drove home to Belfast. If the engine had gone at home i could have picked up one with only 52,000 miles but i am not that lucky.
Anyway all in with the work on the car, and Hotel bills, and Ferry changes it cost me £1084, but i have had a serious chat with the car and told it , any more like this it will get the Basil Fawlty treatment.
At least the car got you safely into the lay-by, would have been a different story had you had ground to a halt in the outside lane.

Well done for getting it fixed and keeping another on the road.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 23:29   #3
buchanan
Buchanan

Thank you, i know ten seconds earlier i would have been wiped by a few lories.
Old 5th January 2019, 15:12   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buchanan View Post
Gary Nelson is a nice bloke, and you got an impromptu free T4 check that you were unaware of too

It was running as sweet as a nut, and I can't say I'm surprised either, Gary is a proper old school motor engineer

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 17:19   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

well done for taking a chance and spending so much money to keep the car

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 17:38   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Anyone performed an autopsy on the old engine to confirm the original diagnosis?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 23:33   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Anyone performed an autopsy on the old engine to confirm the original diagnosis?
I will have a word with Gary next time we meet up, as I know he was planning to strip it completely to have a look see.

What I will confirm, the engine would not have been replaced without good reason by this man, he takes obsessive care in what he does, and has standards of quality and workmanship, few can attain.

If it were a misdiagnosis by the original garage, it would not simply have been taken at face value, without confirmation by himself personally.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 23:58   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Thanks Brian. Same as you I know that many times when people have had the diesel engine 'die' on them that as it stalls out the oil light will show. Which shouldn't be a surprise as the ign is on without the engine running. A garage diagnosing oil pump failure was most likely given the same narrative of the breakdown: and it's not unknown for some to jump to conclusions. As for the crank is broken? I'd expect the engine to have gone bang in a really big way with drama and noise of crunched valves at the least. not just 'cut out on low oil pressure'. I do know that although rare it has been known for one of the engine chains to snap and the oil pump is chain driven though.

The one time mine broke down sounded exactly the same: a bit of cough or tick (pinking - if possible in a diesel?) and then dieing with a slight rattle and oil light comes on briefly. In my case it was bad injectors failing causing low fuel pressure in the fuel rail. What would a random garage with no interest in the car or customer have said?

I'll be really interested in the outcome of the investigation.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 6th January 2019 at 00:00..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2019, 00:59   #9
buchanan
Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Gary Nelson is a nice bloke, and you got an impromptu free T4 check that you were unaware of too

It was running as sweet as a nut, and I can't say I'm surprised either, Gary is a proper old school motor engineer

Brian
Gary is a star he mentioned the T4 check, have bought a new MAF not fitted yet.
Only problem has been i was able to start the car in D my fault, getting the inhibiter checked out.
Old 6th January 2019, 01:03   #10
buchanan
Buchanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Thanks Brian. Same as you I know that many times when people have had the diesel engine 'die' on them that as it stalls out the oil light will show. Which shouldn't be a surprise as the ign is on without the engine running. A garage diagnosing oil pump failure was most likely given the same narrative of the breakdown: and it's not unknown for some to jump to conclusions. As for the crank is broken? I'd expect the engine to have gone bang in a really big way with drama and noise of crunched valves at the least. not just 'cut out on low oil pressure'. I do know that although rare it has been known for one of the engine chains to snap and the oil pump is chain driven though.

The one time mine broke down sounded exactly the same: a bit of cough or tick (pinking - if possible in a diesel?) and then dieing with a slight rattle and oil light comes on briefly. In my case it was bad injectors failing causing low fuel pressure in the fuel rail. What would a random garage with no interest in the car or customer have said?

I'll be really interested in the outcome of the investigation.
I am Chief Engineer have worked on Diesels for years, from small to massive in ships. I knew myself it was wrecked, just before the engine cut out there was the click click click of the broken chain, the guys in the garage were all experienced mechanics. Look forward myself to the strip down i am over in March and i might call and see him.