Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2018, 00:09   #11
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
And what point would that be Steve?? that you can drive badly in your BMW perhaps

Brian
That if I can comfortably undertake you then you're in the wrong lane..
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:17   #12
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

That is a fair point, Neil but too many see an 8ft gap between your tail and the truck you have just overtaken, and think that is the best way to get past you. Personally, cutting up truckers is not my favourite pass-time. Not such a problem in Cumbria, but once you get to Preston, it's Grand Prix time - with 4 lanes to choose from, and all the Blackpool traffic joining the race.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:20   #13
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilSteve View Post
The Middle lane stuff winds me up a treat. All to often there's backed up traffic because folks can't understand the concept of overtaking lane and just decide to sit in it at 60 causing someone else to overtake at 65 resulting in 3 lanes being limited.

I often go undertaking on the inside lane as it's faster than the outside ones. mostly just to prove a point.
I understand your frustration, yet by undertaking you are risking an accident if they suddenly decide to pull into lane 1.

I find pointedly moving from lane 1 to lane 2, then into lane 3, overtaking the middle lane hogger, then returning to lane 1 often has the desired effect.
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:21   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
The point that lane one is empty and they should be in it. If there is room for you to undertake there was room for them to pull over. Stop making excuses for pillocks who don't pull back to lane one after passing the vehicle in front.
Neil, I'm not making excuses for anyone, but as I've been driving a lot longer than you, I probably have more experience, and certainly don't behave in a manner that would endanger other road users.

Quote:
That if I can comfortably undertake you then you're in the wrong lane..
No you are completely wrong Steve, here is the legal definition for you to look at

Can you receive a penalty for undertaking?

Some drivers may find it tempting to undertake, especially if they’re faced with a middle-lane hogger, but be aware that it can be dangerous and you can be fined for doing so.

Undertaking recklessly could see you receive a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for careless driving or driving without due care and attention.

I don't hog the middle lane, and like to "make progress", but it is always better to arrive five minutes late in this world, than ten minutes early in the next

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:39   #15
CivilSteve
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
I understand your frustration, yet by undertaking you are risking an accident if they suddenly decide to pull into lane 1.

I find pointedly moving from lane 1 to lane 2, then into lane 3, overtaking the middle lane hogger, then returning to lane 1 often has the desired effect.
Tried this, seemed to have zero effect on the army of yaris's/fiat 500s that inhabit the middle lane. And grow tired of constantly changing lanes every 5 minutes when doing long M62 journeys.

In all honesty staying in the inside lane, going past them with a slight honk of the horn as i pass has a working effect on the majority as they then seem to pull back into the inside lane.
CivilSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:43   #16
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Neil, I'm not making excuses for anyone, but as I've been driving a lot longer than you, I probably have more experience, and certainly don't behave in a manner that would endanger other road users.

No you are completely wrong Steve, here is the legal definition for you to look at

Can you receive a penalty for undertaking?

Some drivers may find it tempting to undertake, especially if they’re faced with a middle-lane hogger, but be aware that it can be dangerous and you can be fined for doing so.

Undertaking recklessly could see you receive a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for careless driving or driving without due care and attention.

I don't hog the middle lane, and like to "make progress", but it is always better to arrive five minutes late in this world, than ten minutes early in the next

Brian

I don't undertake on a motorway when I can pass them in lane 3, but I will on a dual-carriage way when lane 1 is completely NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- empty (and on a motorway when lane 3 is also blocked usually with some idiot at the front of a queue refusing to pull back in to lane 2 or 1). What I think is unsafe is other people who are too lazy or ignorant to pull back in to lane 1 turning a three lane motor way effectively in to one. I don't sudden fly past in lane 1 for no reason, I will have been sat behind them at a safe distance for some time before I give up, and this is mostly on a dual-carriage way where lane 3 is not an option.

It's a bit like when I see other motorists driving with their rear fog lights on when it isn't foggy, or no headlights, I give them a flash in attempt to make them aware something is amiss, but 9/10 they just carry on as they were, if they haven't noticed that they don't have their lights on then they probably wont notice me flashing them.

Some people seem to get behind the wheel and totally switch off, or make the actual act of driving about 8 or 9 on their list of things to do.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 00:46   #17
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Tried this, seemed to have zero effect on the army of yaris's/fiat 500s that inhabit the middle lane. And grow tired of constantly changing lanes every 5 minutes when doing long M62 journeys.

In all honesty staying in the inside lane, going past them with a slight honk of the horn as i pass has a working effect on the majority as they then seem to pull back into the inside lane.
Just wait until you startle one of these "daydreamers" and they swerve into the side of you as you behave like a total prat.

Don't think it doesn't happen, I've seen just such a collision earlier in the week, caused by the reckless actions of others.

Brian
Old 20th December 2018, 00:59   #18
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
I don't undertake on a motorway when I can pass them in lane 3, but I will on a dual-carriage way when lane 1 is completely NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- empty (and on a motorway when lane 3 is also blocked usually with some idiot at the front of a queue refusing to pull back in to lane 2 or 1). What I think is unsafe is other people who are too lazy or ignorant to pull back in to lane 1 turning a three lane motor way effectively in to one. I don't sudden fly past in lane 1 for no reason, I will have been sat behind them at a safe distance for some time before I give up, and this is mostly on a dual-carriage way where lane 3 is not an option.

It's a bit like when I see other motorists driving with their rear fog lights on when it isn't foggy, or no headlights, I give them a flash in attempt to make them aware something is amiss, but 9/10 they just carry on as they were, if they haven't noticed that they don't have their lights on then they probably wont notice me flashing them.

Some people seem to get behind the wheel and totally switch off, or make the actual act of driving about 8 or 9 on their list of things to do.
Yeah had this earlier on this evening, driving on the CME in Newcastle.

Woman in a Nissan Juke with super bright DRLs, didn't realise she had no light on, so I made a point of flashing my lights at her.

I came off the same sliproad as her, and she was turning left, and I right, so as I pulled alongside, I wound down my window and tooted my horn.

It was as if I was invisible, she was looking straight ahead with blinkers on, so as the traffic was at a standstill, I actually got out of the car and rapped on the window of her car.

She looked at me miming winding the window down in what can be described as utter confusion, so I shouted loudly through the closed window at her that she was driving without her lights on.

Not a glimmer of anything resembling common sense, and off she drove still with no lights on, you couldn't make it up

My wife was sitting in the passenger seat, and couldn't believe the complete stupidity of it all, so that's my rant, DRL's and instrument packs that illuminate even with the lights turned off.

Brian
Old 20th December 2018, 01:02   #19
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Yeah had this earlier on this evening, driving on the CME in Newcastle.

Woman in a Nissan Juke with super bright DRLs, didn't realise she had no light on, so I made a point of flashing my lights at her.

I came off the same sliproad as her, and she was turning left, and I right, so as I pulled alongside, I wound down my window and tooted my horn.

It was as if I was invisible, she was looking straight ahead with blinkers on, so as the traffic was at a standstill, I actually got out of the car and rapped on the window of her car.

She looked at me miming winding the window down in what can be described as utter confusion, so I shouted loudly through the closed window at her that she was driving without her lights on.

Not a glimmer of anything resembling common sense, and off she drove still with no lights on, you couldn't make it up

My wife was sitting in the passenger seat, and couldn't believe the complete stupidity of it all, so that's my rant, DRL's and instrument packs that illuminate even with the lights turned off.

Brian

Agree with DRLs, the same goes for these new LCD 'virtual cockpit' type instrument clusters, because they are backlit constantly it is less noticeable when you don't have any lights on. On traditional dials you can't see them without.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2018, 01:57   #20
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Bigger things to worry about tbh..

I stick to the middle lane when on long night drives in the UK, as the inside lane is an utter pain, full of holes, bumps, damaged surface etc.

So imagine 10+Hrs of BANG, BANG, BANG, on the "sports" Suspension on the Mk2.

So at night, I stick to the middle lane, and care not a jot what anyone else thinks, so ner nerrr!!
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote